5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of ROOM! (A Review for People Who only want the Space), October 10, 2012
This review is from: Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STCA3000101) (Personal Computers)
I understand that there's some back and forth over whether or not this unit is compatible with Windows Backup (due to sector sizes and blah, blah, blah). I don't use Windows Backup and have no intention to do so (I like to keep track of my files myself), therefore, I can't comment on the compatibility issue one way or the other. Other reviewers have also commented on the the Seagate Dashboard...I haven't used it either. So, you might be wondering why I'm bothering with this review.

I'm writing this for one reason...all I wanted was oodles of storage space, and this External HDD delivers in spades.

Seagate has been the only brand of External HDD I've ever used, and every drive I've purchased has functioned as intended (even my first Seagate External HDD, a 120gb model that's nearly 10 years old now, still works to this day). I don't mean to sound like a brainwashed fanboy, but I've never been disappointed with a Seagate drive.

I've seen some people mention their HDD not showing up as a single drive (enough so that I was worried mine would do the same)...but I'm running Vista 64 Home Premium on my laptop and Windows 7 Professional on my desktop and both PCs read the entire disk as one 2.7tb drive.

It's really fast as a USB 3.0 drive, and works just fine in USB 2.0 ports.

Aesthetically, it looks nice. I could have done without the 4 bar "fill" meter on the front (and the math needed to determine how 3tb [or rather, 2.7tb] is divided equally between the 4 bars...*joking*), but I'm not complaining about it either. The base of the unit (the obvious "this end down" part) is detachable, allowing you to plug in separately purchased adapters for (I think) firewire and/or lightningbolt.

My particular unit has been in service since the very beginning of August 2012. I've used it every day moving all sorts of files (videos, music, games), and I've never had even the slightest hiccup.

Final Thoughts:

I don't know about all of the extra (and, in my opinion, useless) bells and whistles, but, used purely as storage, this thing has tons of room, and I've been very happy with it.

Update: 5/20/13 My 3tb is still chugging along without a problem. I recently purchased the 4tb model, and it's doing just fine as well.

Update: 12/2/13 Both my 3tb and 4tb drives still perform as expected. I've had absolutely zero problem with either drive.

Update: 8/22/14 (For the record, that makes my 3tb drive 2 years old now...in case you didn't notice) Both drives still work. No issues or complaints.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 11:14:08 AM PST
Wei Yang says:

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 11:29:10 PM PST
Why not just add a PCIe USB 3.0 card instead of your on-board USB 2.0 ports?

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 7:48:05 PM PST
kark says:
"Tons of room"? Give it a couple years and you'll be complaining that you can't do anything with 3TB only :-)

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 2:43:45 PM PST
B5Anteros says:
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you for the simple review.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 12:07:31 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Thanks for the review! Is it still going strong? I'm always a bit nervous about buying the largest size drives (I sort of feel like one size down from whatever the largest is is more reliable...but not really basing that on anything but seemingly more negative reviews for larger drives).

Any issues with overheating while copying hundreds of GB?

I too have had great luck with Seagate. Actually my very first Seagate drive from the early/mid-80s worked fine until 2005 when I finally retired that PC lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 12:09:41 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Depending on what they're using it for, the extra speed might not be worth the hassle/expense. I've actually got some 3.0 Seagate drives, and the speed increase is really nice (goes to maybe an average of 80-100MB/s, sometimes as high as 120MB/s from USB 2.0's 25MB/s-ish limit), but I still use them with USB 2.0 on one of my systems. It's still "good enough" for backups (and heck, is hundreds of times faster than my broadband internet connection lol).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2013 8:35:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 8:39:30 AM PDT
People like you (YEI YANG) don't even need to be able to leave any kind of post or reply.. I found SilentEvil's Info very good
to us peoples looking for a new drive.. The more we can learn from Any Review will always be a plus..

Posted on May 29, 2013 3:53:09 AM PDT
Isaac B says:
Thanks for the review. Does the power source work with a physical adapter in European plugs (110-240 volts listed)?

Posted on Jun 4, 2013 12:34:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2013 12:48:59 AM PDT
G. Morrison says:
I've never owned or used Seagate before for my builds--I've tended to rely upon Samsung and Hitachi/IBM (HGST/WD nowadays), and Maxtor 133 EIDE and WD IDE in the past--all with good luck. Seagate tended generally to cost somewhat more, for one thing. Well, now I do own this good-sized external drive....

I'm really interested in reports that people actually remove this drive from the problematic enclosure, mount it in their PC, and attach it to a SATA power connector and port--a traditional internal install is a real option--it's really a Barracuda, "clothed" badly, after all! I need storage--I don't care much if it's internal or external. Thus, I'll go ahead and open the package!

I gather that the consensus is that the enclosure isn't so great for heat dissipation. First off, I would try it with USB3--to see if it's a DOA and also to gain some reasonable confidence that it will prove to be a reliable bare SATA III drive. (Concerning external connection, I would prefer ethernet over USB3--certainly, I never would "dig" using USB2.) Thus, internal or a network enclosure mounting is what I ideally prefer for this.

I don't doubt that USB3 is way better than USB2: Certainly, I share a really strong negative opinion of the PC industry's passing off USB2, generally, as a good and decent--even great--preferred default solution for many difficult problems! Really, USB2 never left infancy and clumsiness, though! I do believe the reports that USB3 does offer far better potential--not many people have yet bothered to design peripherals and write software and drivers yet--even given that USB3 has been out for years now! I haven't had much use for the standard: Yet, predictably, a good use pops up at this point!

My board for my newest Deneb build doesn't offer USB3.0 ports--my other newer boards can manage it, OEM, though. (OK!: Sure, I'll likely obtain yet another "easy-fixit-and-patch-the-problem-in-a-somewhat-less-than-desirable-and-optimal-way-card-solution"--yeah, someday soon--no doubt! Of course, at this point on the "learning curve," it's never worth the $ that the industry desires! Naturally, forget also that idiot legacy-PCI! The industry has all but abandoned that! I see this in the future--ultimately, such a "fixit" card will sit stored, befriending other smiling legacy PC cards and peripherals, hogging space somewhere in my home! It's that card's destiny!

I'm quite certain that other people, those with some experience of the industry, may relate strongly! This proves a really familiar pattern--tedious and halting transformation from "chrysalis to butterfly!": Constant and annoying metamorphosis! Dragging and uncertain delay of any necessary development--any work at all on obvious uses proves really forced! A bad economy is a big culprit--no doubt--come on, though!

Alright!: I get the sense that the software (of course), along with the reported preloaded bloatware, is incompatible with Linux (and even Windows 7 backup)--probably the bloatware is the main reason Seagate proves "coy" concerning open source. (Linux isn't mentioned at all as being compatible.) Windows and Mac are reported as being compatible, instead. This is a safe and secure, yet really cowardly, statement coming often from just about any PC hardware company! (Again, this proves really predictable and dull!)

Getting finally to the points! My concern: After ridding the drive of pre-installed bloatware, is the drive compatible with open source as an external NTFS-formatted USB3 drive? It's hard to find anyone mentioning this use: Is the drive then detectable by Linux?

I do intend to invoke NTFS--generally for media and data backup. I've never used external "clunk" hard drives before: Thus, I wouldn't know much (nor care much) about the Windows-based freeware which people may recommend strongly in favor of Seagate's bundled software. I'm glad that people (likely gamers and multimedia content-creator-types) find that usable for their purposes, though--apparently, it's not bad software. (Some users reported that they do like the Seagate software, nonetheless. Proprietary and useful disk monitoring, etc.--proves available--some good Windows-based "bells and whistles" that some users prefer--and even may need.)

A big con from the vast majority of users--the mini-USB3 connection is a stupid, hated, and completely unnecessary design decision from Seagate. Ultimately, that's why I'll convert mine to internal SATA III. (Given it's neither DOA nor short-lived.) Barracuda SATA III OEM certainly is compatible with Linux--along with any version of Windows generally relevant today--no question!

This proves quite predictable! I didn't intend to become a great prophet! Forget the card for now!: Just rid myself of static and convert the drive. Get to work!--You "Forrest Gump-type," distorted and confused, perplexed and staring from the warped mirror! (Thanks!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2013 12:50:28 PM PDT
First of all my Seagate was cheaper than W.D. and Hitachi,,, etc.. Samsung is now Under Seagates
brand.. Seagate ONLY bought their H.D. Line.. So.. What I use my 3-TB External Drive for is to back up my network.. So...... Also If heat is a factor with you,, and you already opened the box and can't take it back to the store,, just pop open the case and let the heat out...LAUGH... I did just that too.. Works like a charm.. Oh by the way I have a 1 TB Seagate that's about 7 yrs old and still running perfect.. I've also got 4 320gb's Seagate drives that haven't failed yet... So........
I'm also a Sr IT Supervisor at my work of 30+ yrs,,, which has 700 PLUS PC's and all we use is
either Seagate's or W.D.'s.. So I've got the scoop on both. Its a matter of preference/dollars maybe for you, but for me it's a track record.. It doesn't have to be the Fastest out there to get the job done,, and done RIGHT either..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (2,139 customer reviews)
 (1,142)