Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost just right..., April 10, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Fastpack 250 DSLR Camera Backpack (Electronics)
Almost just right..., April 10, 2008
By Brett Despain (Draper, UT USA) - See all my reviews

Still looking for the perfect bag...this one comes very close. I own a Lowepro Compurover AW and a Tamrac Adventure 9 bag. The Compurover is too heavy and you have to crack it open like an egg to get to the Camera compartment. The Tamrac is the perfect size, but you have to take the bag off and lay it on the ground or your lap to open the camera compartment, otherwise you risk spilling out all of your gear! Not good.

This Fastpack 250 intrigued me because the side access pocket allows access to your camera quickly without taking the backpack off. Guess what? it works. You really can get your camera out quickly while still wearing the bag.

I bought this as strictly a travel bag. I'm a pilot so I needed a medium sized bag that I could fit in the cockpit while carrying my 40D and 3 L lenses. I also need the top compartment of the bag to carry a few snacks, water and other supplies.

Okay here's the breakdown.

Pros:
1. Slim design, fits in cockpit and on top of my roller suitcase with ease. Also fits very nicely in the space underneath your seat in an airliner.
2. Side camera access in a serious advantage. I considered the sling packs, but I like the comfort and security of having a full backpack. The sling packs are uncomfortable after a while and hard to position to get your camera out without twisting up your clothes or coat.
3. It's lightweight and comfortable to wear. Significantly lighter than my other two bags.
4. Not as pricey as my two other backpacks. I paid less than $90.
5. Side pocket fits a good sized Nalgene water bottle.
6. Medium size and all black color doesn't shout "Camera Bag!" while wearing it.

Cons:
1. No all weather cover flap. A major oversight if you ask me. I took the one off of my Tamrac to use with the Fastpack.
2. No chest strap. I think it needs one.
3. It's almost a little small. I wouldn't go any smaller than this bag because you'll be leaving something home that you'll want later.
4. It needs a side or bottom strap that you can attach a monopod to. I'm thinking of having one sewn on. For now I've attached a carabiner to the top handle and strap on my monopod there.
5. Outside pockets are really worthless. They are sewn in flat and don't have room to expand. You can get a few filters and a flash card wallet in them but that's about it.

Like I said it's not perfect, but I'm giving it four out of five mainly because I like the overall size and design of the bag as well as the convenience of the side access camera pocket.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2009 4:04:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2010 2:20:56 PM PST
Stephen says:
Your review sums up my feelings well. I have started a collection of camera bags/backpacks. My conclusion is that there is no perfect for every occasion bag. Trying to purchase an all purpose every occasion bag will make you crazy. Sometimes I want my computer, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I want more lenses and accessories, sometimes less. No one likes to part with their money, but having the right bag for the right occasion is worth the investment to protect your valuable equipment.

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 2:23:16 PM PDT
D. Bjorgen says:
Take a look at the Kata KT D-3N1-30 Sling/Backpack. It covers most of your cons pretty effectively. The only thing missing on it, in my opinion, is an external pocket for a water bottle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 11:52:46 PM PDT
The Kata KT D-3N1-30 Sling/Backpack doesn't hold a laptop though so not a good alternative!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 8:03:23 PM PDT
porkister says:
Kata KT D-3N1-33 does have a laptop pocket

Posted on May 13, 2012 11:28:16 AM PDT
Gengler says:
Good review - I bought a 250 based on the review and agree completely. Nothing is perfect, but this bag, at this price (at least the Arctic Blue) is a good deal. True about the size - it barely accommodates my Olympus E30 with its 12-60 lens, and only without its sunshade. But accessory lenses fit nicely, as does an iPad, that slips easily into the laptop compartment. And the upper chamber holds all chargers/cords nicely. It's a well constructed, sturdy carry-on bag for a vacation.

One other minor "Con" - The Lowe literature mentions that there is a place for an audio player built into the strap, but it's so small you could only place a flash drive into it! Forget about an iPod - not merely an iPod touch mind you - forget a Nano, it's that small.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›