5.0 out of 5 stars A glass with class! Give your senses a treat, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Bodum Pavina 12-Ounce Double Wall Thermo Tumbler Glass, Set of 6 (Kitchen)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These glasses have a subtle style that invites you to handle them. They have a wonderful curve that is so very pleasant to hold. They are just the right weight--definitely not heavy and dense, but not light weight either--not too fragile and not chintzy at all. There are no seams and the glass is very clear. I find them pleasurable and satisfying to use.

What I like best is that this glass allows you--almost encourages you--to use more of your senses when drinking from it. So that while you are sipping your beverage, you are also admiring the beautiful color of the liquid seemingly held suspended in air, feeling the smoothness, roundness and ambient temperature of the glass, and also breathing in the concentrated aroma that the shape somehow seems to promote.

This is absolutely the most perfect cup for tea. I believe my tea tastes better in this glass! Maybe because of the above: Involving more of your senses makes the experience more enjoyable and worthwhile. And we all need more of that! I use one of these glasses at work, where I drink a lot of herbal and green teas. It's a big hit around the conference table, where the color of the tea draws a lot of attention and admiration. Single-cup tea strainers fit nicely in this 12 oz.-size glass.)

Last week I saw a beautiful dark blue and black tea cup with a superb glaze that almost gave the appearance of glass--I had to buy it. What a mistake I made! I used it one time only. I poured my boiling water into my beautiful ceramic-glazed cup--then I couldn't hold it for five minutes or more! I missed the initial fragrance coming out of the cup; I missed the gentle warmth on my hands--and of course I missed the beautiful color of the tea. The next time I reached for one of my Bodum glasses.

I don't drink much coffee, but I do drink espresso every day. And we do own the small 2.5 oz. shot glasses in this line. So I can honestly say that it is sensual to watch the coffee from your single-serve machine pour into this clear glass--watch the layers separate and the crema form on the top.

I guess I've been concentrating on hot beverages, so I should also say that when cold liquids are in them, these glasses do not leave condensation rings and you'll not see them frosting on the outside.

I have cabinets full of glassware and cups in a lot of price ranges and from a lot of countries, suitable for all kinds of occasions: Crystal, glass, pressed glass, hand-blown, ceramic, porcelain... But I find myself reaching for these more often than not. They are very suitable for entertaining, as well as for everyday use. No, I'm not dumping my fine crystal or china...)

Some people might think they have the potential to break too easily. I've not found that to be true. But then I don't take chances by putting them in a sink or drainer along with heavy pots and pans. And I've not dropped one to see what happens. And I've not let ice cubes drop into them from the frig ice dispenser. These glasses have a tiny, clear rubber-like seal on the bottom. I also own some of the older Bodum double-walled glasses, without the rubber seal. So in comparing them, I don't find that the seal is noticeable and have not found them to leak. And I believe the company's claim that the seal is an improvement--that the seal helps balance the pressure inside the glass walls.

The only thing that's wrong? Well, this particular size (not so for the 2.5 oz.) has a slight lip on it. It is slight enough that it doesn't interfere with drinking, but it is there and it disrupts the end line of the curve--no biggie, just me being picky. My older 12 oz. glasses don't have this pronounced lip.

I really wish they made a size in between the 2.5 oz. and the 8 oz.--maybe a 5.5 ounce? It would be wonderful for hors d'oeuvre soups, rum toddies, long espressos....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2011 1:43:53 PM PDT
Wayne says:
I see your point, although it's not technically a problem with the 12 ounce glasses themselves. The problem I have is that before the days of take out cappuccino in a paper cup, and a "super size me" era, cappuccino makers were designed for standard sized cups of the day. The 2.5 oz size is perfect for espresso, and although it's several times the size needed for a short, strong espresso, there's no pragmatic issue. But for cappuccino, I need to tilt the 8.5 oz glass to get it under the portafilter, which now sits slightly inside the glass. Thirty years ago, home espresso makers weren't nearly so popular, and $500 was a lot of money back then. Modern machines have the portafilter several inches higher so your beverage can be large enough to warrant a pretentious name for its size. That means that for typical customers, their marketing department must have already figured out what sizes are needed. I guess we are out of luck.

Thanks for the helpful review.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:39:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 4:49:38 AM PDT
I hear what you are saying, I think: You can't fit this 12 ounce, 4 1/2" tall glass under the spout of your old cappuccino maker. Do I understand correctly?

Okay, so, the height of the cup is a determining factor if you want to use the glass with a specific machine. I drink coffee and cappuccino made in a single-serve coffee maker--and the 12 ounce glass works fine for that. But, bottom line, if you are looking for a cup to use with a particular machine, you should know the height between the spout and the stand.

Although I am not reviewing the smallest of the Bodum glasses here, I must clarify something you said in your comment: The 2.5 ounce glass IS a very nice size for a European single shot espresso--our Nespresso machine gives us a 1.75 ounce shot and that leaves about a half inch of space to the top rim--perfect for enjoying the look of the crema as it slides up and down with each sip, or maybe enough room for adding a little something extra.

Thank you, Wayne, for your comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 7:16:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 8:30:37 AM PDT
Wayne says:
A short, strong espresso is made by stopping the flow as soon as it becomes the slightest bit clearer. There are no formal rules or standards, since coffee making has been going on for centuries, long before the commercial coffee or cup industry. I'm sure that restaurants and coffee shops would have to have some sorts of standards because if they gave a customer a traditional short, strong espresso, they'd be asked why their cup is 2/3 empty. What people think of a single shot espresso these days would have been considered watered down in the past. But of course you are correct in terms of what people expect today, and espresso cups were of equally ample size back then too. What's changed is how high the cup typically gets filled.

If you go back three decades, most people in the US didn't even have a clear idea what cappuccino was, and perhaps a vague idea of what espresso was (generally not from experience.) What people think of as standard these days was not always so. That's why if you look at something like a Gaggia from the era when I got mine, there's no way to put an 8.5 oz cup under it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›