4.0 out of 5 stars Has WWE Overused The Gimmick?, April 5, 2011
This review is from: WWE: TLC - Tables, Ladders & Chairs 2010 (DVD)
"Gimmick PPVs" from the WWE are risky ventures. Most of the time, the WWE gets away with these concepts (two Elimination Chamber Matches, two Money-In-The-Bank Matches, two Fatal 4-Way Matches, etc.). However, this "TLC 2010" PPV had me worried, because every single match was advertised to feature Tables, Ladders, and/or Chairs. As it turns out, the production team and the WWE wrestlers are talented enough to pull this off.

1) Ladder Match
Intercontinental Championship
Kofi Kingston v. Jack Swagger v.
Dolph Ziggler (champion - w/ Vickie Guerrero)
---Of all the matches on the card, this opener is the toughest one for me to score. The whole affair lasts about 10 minutes, which is disappointing considering the talent involved here. But when the action is as hard-hitting as this, who cares? I continue to be surprised at how versatile Swagger really is, because he shows that a larger & more powerful athlete has a place in Ladder Matches. Kofi continues to be one of the more creative innovators with Ladder Matches, while Dolph Ziggler seems to adapt to just about anything these days. I wish this match would've made more of an impression on me, but the action is fast & furious, and there are a few unique spots that I still liked it quite a bit.

2) Table Match
Team Lay-Cool v. Beth Phoenix & Natalya (Divas champion)
---I'm about to give this match its fair share of compliments, but first a challenge: Does anyone else wish WWE and these 4 ladies took the chance of working a Chairs or a Ladder Match? Anyway, this tag team Table Match isn't the greatest, but I have to give these women a ton of credit for making this a believable fight with some real intensity and strategy. Beth Phoenix in particular takes some nasty bumps, though the other 3 are no slouches. The pink table is a bit much, but it gives the grudge match a nice image to take home with you. I think if the finish had more "oomph!" to it, I'd give this more of a recommendation. Botched or not, the match ended rather soft. Still, give this one a look.

3) WWE Tag Team Championships
Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov (champions)
v. Heath Slater & Justin Gabriel (w/ The Nexus)
---There are many viewers (mostly hardcore fans) who believe WWE has totally given up on a legitimate tag team division. While I share those sentiments, I don't think this particular match deserves to be pounced on. For starters, the match was a last-minute bonus. Furthermore, if one of your champions is Santino Marella, do you really expect much of a serious physical contest? Well oddly enough, Marella adds some sensible mat wrestling to his goofy persona, while Kozlov is always an impressive physical presence. The real stars to me though are The Nexus challengers, especially Justin Gabriel. These WWE newcomers can definitely provide some solid in-ring action, while their characters are developed. This is a fun little match that won't change anyone's minds about the current state of WWE tag team wrestling, but for the time being, it works well enough.

4) Ladder Match
#1 Contender Match
Sheamus v. John Morrison
---Holy Crap! Give both of these men a title shot after this amazing contest! I'm serious. The level of violence, intensity, and creativity on display here is magnificent. The two styles between these men are so different, but it works so well because both men show a drive to amaze us, and yet remain smart enough to keep things sensible. You never stop believing that Sheamus and Morrison are trying win. Everyone is going to sing praises about Morrison's unparalleled athletic ability, and rightfully so considering the insane stunts he pulls off here. But Sheamus also deserves credit for providing a brutal edge to it all; the damage he inflicts on Morrison becomes more and more vicious. As the match goes on, the agony only gets worse. No one man deserves the credit here; this Ladder Match is one of those rare occasions where everything just meshes well between the two wrestlers and the referee (Refs don't get enough credit for what they do). After all this endless praise, I don't know why I wouldn't give this a Perfect 10. But I can't wait to watch this match again and again. This is the absolute best WWE match from 2010, and one of the greatest Ladder Matches in WWE history.
"9.0 / 10" (I have a feeling this score will go nowhere up)

5) Table Match
WWE Championship
Randy Orton v. The Miz (champion - w/ Alex Riley)
---I still have a hard time accepting Orton as a good guy, but I have no problem accepting The Miz as a cocky young champion. Thankfully, there is competitive chemistry between these two men, even if the characters don't create a very compelling story for me. The match is very good on an action level, but the psychology of it all lacks. Until the very end, that is. The finish for this Table Match is one of the more inventive I've seen from WWE. I think The Miz has a very bright future. I also Randy Orton is making the best of a very questionable character arc. If you're looking for a good physical fight, this Table Match might work for you. But if you want a good storyline to go with it, you won't find it until the very end. A mixed review from me, but overall, I liked it quite a bit even as I wished for something more substantial.

6) TLC Match
World Heavyweight Championship
Rey Mysterio v. Alberto Del Rio v. Edge v. Kane (champion)
---This is the match from "TLC 2010" that is getting the most fan praise. While I think it's a good match worth seeing, I didn't find it to be as great as others. The 4-way title bout starts solid, as each wrestler uses a variety of offense, and with different alliances forming throughout the ordeal. Like all other TLC Matches, there are some hard falls and hard hits that the superstars put themselves through for us. The big problems I have with this match are the numerous goofs (aka "botches"), and that Edge won the title. Don't get me wrong, Edge is one of my all-time favorites. But this was his 10th world title. Imagine the possibilities if Rey Mysterio had been given a 3rd title reign (his first 2 were very short), or if Del Rio had won the coveted prize, or if Kane's successful title run had been allowed to continue. Of all the 4 possible winners, I believe they chose the worst. I don't mean to turn people off of this TLC Match, because it's a good one. I just think the tremendous praise bestowed up on this one is too generous.

------------------------------------------

It's worth noting that after Edge wins the title, there is about 15 minutes of stalling before we get to our main event. `Dashing' Cody Rhodes comes out to talk trash to the Houston crowd, which was pretty amusing for a while. But then it started to drag, and when Big Show came out dressed as Santa Claus, I think everyone knew how this would turn out 5 minutes before it went down. I don't mind comedy sketches or talking segments if they're entertaining, but this one was a waste of time.

7) Chairs Match
Wade Barrett v. John Cena
---I've heard some criticisms that this shouldn't have been the main event. I don't share those feelings because this was one of the most well-done stories from "RAW", and one of Cena's most unique angles. For 4 months, The Nexus had made John Cena's life a living hell, and it was time for the sendoff. The match starts off very well, with some methodical psychology involving the Chairs. The fight spills to ringside and the entrance ramp, with some unique spots. But once the action returns to the ring, the brutal action becomes very predictable. To make matters worse, it takes a while for the high impact moves to be delivered, which means there's way too much time for the already-predictable stuff to take place. And when Barrett's crushing pinfall victory and post-match beatdown take place, we are treated to one of the silliest finishes ever. I won't give it away, but ask yourself when you see it, "Was that supposed to `HURT'"? I kinda feel bad, because this is a good match with a poor sense of timing. It's worth a watch, but it needed to hurry up to be more effective.

------------------------------------------

"TLC 2010" is a good PPV overall. The matches are all decent, with no stinkers. The two Tables Matches are solid, commendable showings. The Chairs Match main event is a bit of a letdown, but it's okay. The WWE Tag Titles Match is perhaps forgettable, but way better than people have given it credit for. The real showcases are the Ladder Matches, and each reviewer & fan has a favorite. I think the Sheamus/Morrison Ladder Match is one of the greatest in recent memory, though most people would tell you the TLC Match is the one to buy this DVD for. "TLC 2010" is worth buying for a little less than retail price.

[Add comment]