5.0 out of 5 stars OMD EM-5 just a little smaller!, November 10, 2012
This review is from: Olympus E-PL5 Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm Lens (Black) (Electronics)
I am a professional photographer (weddings, family portraits, commercial, modeling, graduation, etc) who recently sold every piece of my Nikon gear for the OMD EM-5. Best decision I ever made! No more back focus issues and I have never seen a camera shoot sharper. Image quality of the EM-5 has blown away my expectations. Enter the EPL-5... So far this camera has proven to be a smaller version of the EM-5. The image quality is just as stunning and the autofocus is still beyond amazing! So everyone is aware and if you are wondering if these cameras can compete with the big boys, I have shot weddings in very very dark locations and I have shot portraits in every type of landscape and condition. Professional quality in a small package that will change the way you shoot and really make you think more artistically like we did when we used film. I am an olympus fan for life and I never thought I would say this but the micro 4 3 technology has changed the way I work!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 9:27:04 AM PST
Hi, what lenses are you using on it? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:19:56 PM PST
Brock says:
20mm 1.7 Panasonic lens, Olympus 45mm 1.8 m. Zuiko lens, olympus 14-150mm lens, olympus 14-42mm lens.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:53:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2012 9:56:24 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 9:06:21 PM PST
C. Jacobs says:
Being as you're a wedding photographer, what about dynamic range when using a camera with a smaller sensor like this? You don't find yourself wishing you had an APS-C or full frame sensor in some situations?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 9:47:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 9:53:03 PM PST
Brock says:
I was a bit worried at first which is why I hung on to my Nikon equipment for awhile. There has not been a situation in the past several months I have had the equipment where I said, boy I wish I had my d7000 on me. The low noise performance has been wonderful and the focus amazing! I will say that this camera requires a bit more thinking in certain situations such as dark settings etc. The right lens choices make all the difference. For example, say I am shooting a wedding in a dark church. I like to have both flash lit and naturally lit shots. So I will have the OMD-EM5 with a flash and the 14-150 lens in my hand with the EPL-5 with no flash, with a 20mm 1.7 or my 45mm 1.8 around my neck. That gives me the advantage of getting the right shot with the dramatic light I am looking for in the moment. Other than in focusing the Nikon may have been a faster camera all around but never have a said my Nikon would have taken a better shot than the one I am looking at now. That's coming from a lifelong Nikon fan! This camera system may not be for everyone, if you want a camera that will get you a decent shot go for the big boys. However, if you want the artistry of film cameras and the way they make you think as well as the sharpest image you will ever take, look at these cameras. An amazing photographer who runs the lab I use commented to his printer, "that is one of the clearest and sharpest 16x20 prints I have seen." The lab tech said that's one of Brock's prints from the OMD. Google the pros that are switching to mirror less cameras and see why they are doing so. My friend's photography professor won't let his students play with his OMD because as he said "once you play with this camera you won't want to use anything else, and I won't be responsible for that."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 9:54:37 PM PST
Brock says:
Here is a great link from another photographer.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 10:24:27 PM PST
theorist says:
Hi, might you know if the in-camera HDR post-processing auto-stitches the images together (a feature found in the Sony cameras), thus obviating the need for a tripod? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 10:50:58 PM PST
Brock says:
I actually have not had a chance to test this feature out! Great question and I will find that out!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:52:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:54:11 PM PST
theorist says:
Thanks! When you check that, I'm also curious about the number of images it can generate+combine, whether the EV range is user-selectable, and whether it gives the option of combining them in-camera vs. leaving that to the user (and this was probably made obvious by my mention of avoiding the tripod, but by "auto-stitch" I meant "auto-align" rather than merely auto-combine).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 9:19:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 9:19:57 AM PST
Yes, per pages 62 - 64 of the instruction manual. The camera can do 0.3EV, 0.7EV and 1.0EV. The images are combined in-camera. You'll probalby need to ask Olympus to find out more about the processing algorithm...whether the processing includes tweaks to alignment. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't go into detail.
Anyway it's a free download from Olympus here... http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_manuals.asp?id=1583
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›