Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars a joy-inducing romp!, June 17, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Toy Story 3 The Video Game - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have been playing video games since I first obtained the original NES (which I still have and play) back in the early 90's, and never have I had such a wonderful time playing a video game! There were many times I literally squealed out loud in delight at elements taking place within the game. I will not rehash the details of the game (which you can find above in the item description), but I will tell you on my first foray in Toy Box mode I played for four hours straight and would have played even longer had it not been for the late hour and work in the early morning.

The options and elements to customize are vast...you can alter the appearance of buildings (and townspeople by giving them the heave-ho into any building you have customized), as well as purchase and place new buildings (some allow for placement options and others do not) so you are altering the landscape of the entire town. Customizations are easy and hilarious (giant Nemo fins are on the sides of my jail right now).

Everything is an event, from completing a mission (it's a party!) to the arrival of new toys (it's actually really excitement-inducing to see the stagecoach coming with your huge "present" even though you know what it is), to mining for gold, to riding Bullseye around and hearing the wonderful sound effects. As expected, the graphics are amazing with only a hint of jerkiness here and there. Sound effects are spot on and the game features most of the original voice cast from the films (another major bonus).

The reward system seems very balanced; they make it easy enough to earn gold coins to purchase new items (buildings, toys, etc.), but you are never sitting on all that many coins because so many new items are being unlocked for purchase all the time. Each new toy you purchase comes with new missions you can complete and the open world format is just a joy to tromp around in to complete them. The mission log is also very helpful, as is the compass feature which can be a real boon if you are stuck trying to complete any one task.

I can honestly say I can not wait to play this game again. Some games when purchased have a shelf life, but Toy Story 3 will live on my shelf forever. I can not recommend this game highly enough...and I haven't even touched Story Mode yet!

Viva Toy Story 3!

*** In addendum ***

A few things I have noticed after several days of gameplay that I felt were worth noting are the time consuming loading screens and the difficulty maneuvering motorized vehicles (although this could just be a lack of coordination on my part). For a game such as this, it seems the loads are far too frequent and of too long a duration. I'm not sure if this is only on the PS3 version, but it is a bit of a frustration at times.

As for the vehicles...like I said, I don't know if it is just my lack of coordination, but I seem to have a real issue getting the cars to go in the direction I am trying to go. Any of the creatures I am just fine with (Bullseye, the Dragon, etc.) but those dang cars...

Also, the robbers at the bank and the attacks on the town can be a little random. Even if you are standing right next to the bank you can miss some of the bandits and lose some of your gold coins which is nonsensical to me. Fortunately my bank is right across from my jail so I just turn around and toss them in. :)

Despite these additional issues, I am still loving the heck out of this game. Truly a grand time!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 17, 2010 2:25:47 PM PDT
L. Flores says:
Thats cool that you like the game but please for the love of God, use paragraph breaks. The human eye will adapt better to all the text your throwing out here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 3:57:03 PM PDT
Good point! I am usually a grammar fiend, but I was in a hurry when I initially wrote this. I have amended it now and you are correct: much easier on the eyes! :)

Posted on Jun 18, 2010 7:15:44 PM PDT
Thanx for the review! I'm having fun playing through Toy box mode, it gives the game alot of replayability. This has to be my most favorite Toy story game since Toy story 2 for the dreamcast, the only gripe I have is the short single player campaign. >_<

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2010 8:58:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2010 8:59:24 AM PDT
L. Flores says:
I played the game last night and I really like it which is unusual because I generally like games that are of "adult nature" but its alot of fun.

My Kids like it too, my 2 year old son was screaming with delight when I played this. That was neat to see.

thanks btw, for putting in paragraph breaks. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2010 12:01:33 PM PDT
Of course! Toy Box is still so much fun I have not yet made it to Story Mode. I'm sorry to hear it is short, but hopefully the replayability in that area makes up for it. I'm just having so much fun! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2010 12:03:53 PM PDT
Flores,

I am with you in that I usually tend towards more mature games, however this game just makes me so gosh darn happy...I can completely imagine why your son would be so delighted! I feel that way playing it and I am over 30!

And I'm glad the paragraph breaks help. I should have done it from the get go. Thank you for saying something!

Happy playing!

Posted on May 16, 2012 3:38:32 PM PDT
Good afternoon game in Spanish???

Posted on May 16, 2012 3:40:56 PM PDT
Good afternoon sorry the game can be placed in Latin or Spanish.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›