4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Picture - DVI Cable Sold Separately, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Viewsonic VA2231WM-LED 22-Inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Personal Computers)
I purchased this monitor to go along with a Mac Mini (mid-2011 model) and I am overall pleased with it. Here's the 411:

Pros:
- Excellent picture (needed no tweaking out of the box).
- 1080p looks spectacular!
- Integrated speakers (yes they sound tinny, but I didn't want external speakers taking up space on my desk).
- Matte screen (no glare or reflections in a room with lots of windows/daylight).
- Works with a Mac Mini without hassle... truly plug-n-play.
- Deliciously uniform LED backlighting.

Cons:
- No DVI cable in the box.
- Description here on Amazon doesn't tell you there is no DVI cable in the box. Even the instructions that come with the monitor make you *think* there should be a DVI cable included, but if you read the exterior of the box, in very small print, it tells you only one video cable is included (a standard RGB). Heck, the ViewSonic website fails to indicate that a DVI cable is sold separately.
- Stand is steady and solid enough, but jiggles a bit if the desk is bumped.

The lack of a DVI cable is probably why this monitor is ~$20 less than other monitors. If using with a Mac Mini, get one of these: BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (6.6 Feet/ 2 Meters)

I'd give this monitor 5 stars if the description were updated to make it manifestly clear that a DVI cable is not included.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 10:18:24 AM PST
Neil. says:
It really seems like your splitting hairs. You down-graded it to four stars based on YOUR assumption that it included the DVI cable? All because it didn't say it wasn't included?!?
Ohhhh pleeease...clearly you need EVERYTHING spelled out for you. Geeez.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 7:15:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 7:28:44 PM PST
Yup, I stand by the review. It's simple logic really... If it comes with the DVI cable, I don't need to order one. If it doesn't come with the DVI cable, I DO need to order one. Nowhere here or on ViewSonic's website does it say one way or the other about what, if any, cable is included. It's ironic that this excellent, HD monitor would come with an RGB cable but no DVI (which would allow a consumer to get the full benefit of this monitor's features).

When I buy shoes, I expect to get the laces in the box...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 8:07:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 3, 2012 8:30:33 AM PST
A. pacheco says:
By your analogy, you did receive shoelaces. Just not great ones. I do understand your frustration, though. I never got shoelaces with the cheaper printers I used to buy and in my monitor-buying experience, it has been hit and miss with the inclusion of DVI cables. Perhaps this is their way of saying, "be happy you're getting what you're getting at this price," because you know those 50-cent made Chinese parts are so difficult for these companies to part with. That being said, this sounds like a good monitor and its a shame the rating has to suffer because Amazon did not echo the fine print on the box. Perhaps setting the expectation would have resulted in a better rating. Look at the bright side... at least you don't have any goofy adapters hanging out of your HDMI port. I have two of those for my older TVs and I hate them.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 6:05:39 PM PST
i just bought this same monitor at WAL-MART for 155.86 and all cables were included.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:34:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2012 8:35:14 AM PDT
Solipso says:
Reply to Norman M Whitney Jr (reviewer):

Apparently monitor manufacturers feel there are not many persons who use their monitors for both a PC and a Blu-ray player. Maybe there are not many, but I am one. Therefore I want my monitor to have BOTH a DVI and an HDMI connection.

I don't trust an HDMI connection to my video card, even when my video card has an HDMI connector. I've had bad luck with that. DVI is more reliable. But I want the monitor to have HDMI so I can connect my LG BD630 Blu-ray player to it. The player is small and fits nicely on my desk, and it produces better Blu-ray pictures than PC software like that of ArcSoft or CyberLink.

Though I have not actually tried it, an HDMI-DVI adapter will not work between my Blu-ray player and a DVI connector on a monitor. There is a loss of sound.

(To listen to movies when using my Blu-ray player, I also want a monitor with a headphones port.)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 8:34:59 AM PDT
goodsign says:
Hey, My monitor came with a DVI cable I have no use for if you want it.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:57:37 PM PST
Much to my amusement, your last line is essentially self-negating, as you have yourself updated the detail page to make it manifestly clear that a DVI cable is not included (to me, though I did bother to read the comments waaaay down there at the bottom).

I think the idea is probably that the cheaper product is more beneficial because many buyers already have extra cables anyway.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›