5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new TV!, April 19, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L47E50 47-Inch 1080p 120Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (Electronics)
I finally set out to buy a flat panel TV for my bedroom. I wanted an LED TV because I like the brightness of it compared to other LCD or plasma. I didn't want a 3D TV and I spent a lot of time looking for a TV without 3D. I don't want to pay extra for it and I won't lay around in my bed with 3D glasses watching a movie so I don't see the point. I did want an internet capable TV to stream Netflix movies. I previously streamed them through my Wii. This TV does not have built in wireless, but I bought a Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline Network Adapter and it works beautifully. I plugged my wireless router into the adapter and I have four ports to hook up an ethernet cable. I think I get better streaming performance this way. I have watched Netflix almost every day and never had a problem. The picture is beautiful. I found that I go back and forth between the picture settings from standard to vivid to a custom setting depending on the time of day and how much light is in the room. It's a nice feature. I have an HD cable box and all the channels display great. I love the extra apps as well. I was considering getting a Google TV but all I thought all I really wanted was the Netflix stream. I am finding that the twitter app is a lot of fun as well. I love watching the Sunday new programs or PBS special using the hashtag for the show and seeing all the comments others make. It is a truly integrated experience, and better then looking at twitter on my tablet while watching TV.

Since I loved having such a great picture, I also upgraded and got the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player for watching movies. This blue ray player does have wireless, but I plugged in the ethernet cable anyways since I had it setup. I tested Netflix and other apps through the blueray player as well but I probably won't use those features since I have them on the TV. The sound is a bit low when I play movies, but I don't think that is due to the TV. I am thinking of getting a soundbar to enhance the audio.

Overall, I love this TV! I probably shouldn't have put such and nice setup in my bedroom. Way to easy to lay around too much!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 4, 2012 3:53:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 12:05:21 PM PDT
Hi, what do you think of the TV's web broswer? Any pros or cons? Will it open pages such as yahoo.com, Gmail, http://amazon.com, etc.? Thanks.

EDIT 5/29/2012: I just wanted to update my question. I bought this TV and I can report as of now (May 29 2012) there is no web browser. Thanks.

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:42:03 PM PDT
Galen Scott says:
I am curious as to why you recommended a 3D blu-ray for a non-3D television. Are you planning to upgrade the TV with a replacement in the future and just getting the player with 3D now? Forgive me if I am missing something here, but I am strongly considering this TV and a compatible Blu-Ray at this moment. T.I.A.!

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:22:54 AM PDT
Rachel says:
I just gave up on trying to find a non-3D blu-ray player! I don't use that feature because the TV is incompatible but I love everything else about the player. It's really fast and integrates nicely with the Panasonic TV. I didn't think the price point was any difference for 3D vs. non-3D for the blu-ray (where I do for the TVs).

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:24:05 AM PDT
Rachel says:
Actually, I don't think this TV has a web browser... I haven't used it. I only use the apps - mostly Netflix and Twitter.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:50:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 9:51:32 AM PDT
Hi Rachel, you are correct. I bought the 42" a couple weeks ago. No web browser :( Also no podcasting app. Kind of a bummer for me since I bought this TV in order to cut my cable TV service. Anyway the Amazon Prime works well as does the YouTube app. I really hope Panasonic will add either a web browser or some kind of podcasting app. I could be wrong but I believe some models in previous years had a browser.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 11:59:41 AM PDT
Galen Scott says:
Thanks Rachel for the fast response. That is pretty much what I thought might be the case. And you are saying that the Television does NOT have a web browser, while the Blu-Ray does? I am glad to know that info from you and Cameron, since the description here had lead me to believe that it did.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 5:10:10 PM PDT
logiclife says:
Cameron

I think you could buy something like the logitech revu so that you can browse as it has smart web in that device. also it is wireless. i ordered this tv last weekend iam still looking for a decent wireless device that has a smart web in it that I can use with this tv. revue doesnt seem to have good reviews and i believe it is discontinued.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 4:14:46 PM PST
JMW says:
"I wanted an LED TV because I like the brightness of it compared to other LCD or plasma."

Make no mistake that this set is LCD. It uses LED back lighting as opposed to CCFL. That is what LED refers to.

Posted on Jan 24, 2015 2:58:10 AM PST
FEI says:
That was a pretty great review. I bought the same samsung tv to replace my previous 10-year old junk but I couldn't stand the cables just hanging around behind the TV. Just not used to them, I guess. I saw this brand called FlexiMounts and they had a ""cable management mount"" for a pretty reasonable price that worked perfectly. It's a must buy if you're as OCD as I am. Hope this helps!

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 6:33:57 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
Useful review, thanks! But I'd like to know if anyone out there has ordered a tv mount to go with this samsung tv and if so, can you recommend a model. I don't really care for the low profile or distance to the wall, but I want this mount to be more sturdy. My friend bought a FlexiMounts tv mount and loved it. I'll probably buy the same, but I'm open to suggestions!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›