Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, December 18, 2009
This review is from: Garmin Foot Pod [Retail Packaging] (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought the foot pod so I could use my 405CX on an indoor track and have been pleased with the results.

Calibration was easy. On the Garmin 010-00658-30 Forerunner 405CX GPS Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor (Blue) you can calibrate it using the GPS or a 400m track. I chose to use the GPS and it had me run .66 of a mile. Was easy and seems to be pretty accurate. The only issue is that you need to calibrate it at the pace you usually run at. For instance I usually run at a 10 minute/mile pace but since I was only running .66 miles while calibrating it I ran at a much faster pace throwing it off a bit.

Running on a .10 mile indoor track after 3.5 miles it was off by about 50' more by the end of the run. Not perfect by any means but I could probably calibrate it more (or you can adjust it manually) to key it in.

I don't use it running while outside, but if you don't like the pace setting of the GPS you can have the watch display pace according to the foot pod instead.

Installation and removal is easy. The instructions say it will fit in an insole pocket if your shoe has one, but mine does not. To attach it to the laces you slide the mounting bracket under two X's where your shoe laces cross then snap the pod over the top. To remove you have to press a tab that unhooks it. It's very secure and takes a lot of pressure to remove it. I have no fear that it will come off while running.

I am very happy with the pod, it works very well, and is easy to use. If you want to use your GPS watch on a treadmill or indoor track during the winter months, it's a must have.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2011 10:40:24 AM PDT
Robin Quon says:
Not to be snarky, but a treadmill records your distance anyways. This device seems redundant for that purpose to say the least. Am I missing something, unless the importance of having the data automatically log into an iPhone trumps everything.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2011 2:33:11 PM PDT
Lee Abraham says:
It's handy to have if you like to keep a history of your workouts and mileage with a program like Sporttracks.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 8:30:18 AM PST
do you NEED the foot pod to run outside (and do you get the "distance/mileage" on your watch without the pod? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 10:40:56 AM PST
M. Page says:
No you don't need it to run outside, GPS tracks all that info without it.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 3:25:11 PM PST
Frankly, I'd expect your running line to be off by 50' after 35 laps around a track :) I'd call that pretty much dead-on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 1:01:58 PM PDT
That is exactly it Robin, I use the garmin connect to track my distance/speed/elevation/heart rate/calories/pace on my pc. without this pod I would only be able to track my heart rate indoors. what is also great is that I can transfer this data to .csv (excel) format that way my physician track my heart rate at rest and when working out.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 6:32:12 AM PST
Of course, using it outdoors to track distance instead of the GPS makes no sense. But the point is to track stride rate. As I have found in many publications such as Daniels' Running Formula - 2nd Edition or Dr. Nicholas Romanov's Pose Method of Running (Dr. Romanov's Sport Education) about 180 steps per minute is the ideal stride rate. Using it with a Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS-Enabled Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor allows me to track my stride rate in real time as well as record it in the Garmin website.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›