Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable journey!, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Toshiba Camileo P100 HD Camcorder with 5x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD Screen (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Done. Well, almost. My story begins on Fathers day 2011. My beautiful wife buys me a Toshiba S20 from Amazon. I read the specs and i was in heaven! Slow motion? Time Lapse? HD? Several other wonderful options and all packaged in a small handheld device!? Thank God for Toshiba!lol Maybe I celebrated too soon...
1) It worked decently enough but didn't come with all the accesories promised- so I have to file a claim with Toshiba because they can't send me the acc. (mini tripod, case, all of which was right there on there website saying it was included.) so I do but I have to pay for shipping- small price to pay if they're going to fix the problem right? They email me a Toshiba in store coupon for $200+!! Wow I thought!
2)So I upgraded to the S30. Waited weeks and then it came....the S30 was aweful!It came with the acc. but the slow motion was HORRENDOUS! It was pixalated- it was zoomed in so much that you had to stand 300' to tape your subject! Spoke to Toshiba for hours it seems- they tell me create another RMA- send it back. Shipped again on my dime...get the email Toshiba in store coupon for $209.00- by that time the P100 had just came out. Surely they have to have the bugs fixed in this by now right? Waited for weeks and a few phone calls to Toshiba who claimed they never received it- until I got the US Postal service to provide them proof it was delivered! (get insurance and delivery confirmation people!)
3) The Mother of All GodForsaken camcorders has arrived! After much anticipation and hope waiting on this P100- I would love to say Toshiba got it right! But sadly- not so much. The design is beautiful as far as handhelds go. As much as it pained me to do so, because i wanted so badly to play with my new toy, I charged it first. Turned the unit on and I immediately started taping and it takes fairly good video. Tried to replay it and the unit froze up on me. WHAT??? Wait- I haven't even seen the slow motion yet! Took the battery out (pretty sure that is a crappy way to have to restart your camcorder- engineers are you taking notes- crappy way!lol) and went to the flaw in the S30 that I wanted so badly fixed...same thing! Way pixalated and overzoomed! (Maybe Toshiba shouldn't hire engineers with big coke bottle glasses to design their products anymore!). Bravely marched on- tried to make a video of the kids and I doing the yard with the time lapse- and 40 min. later checked the camera to find out it froze 10 min into the video. Tried to view the vid but, DUH!, the cam was frozen! So out pops the battery! (crappy procedure engineers!) and the video is gone. UHG! Thank you Toshiba for making me want to do the yard- but you stink for the dissappointed kids faces I got when I told them their funny video didn't work! Frustrated- I decided to try the little camcorder again since it hadn't messed up in a week or so (we optimist are so ready to forgive...idiots more like it!) so I take my anger out on an old wall clock! Who doesn't like to destroy things when they're angy right? But better yet- destroy in SLOW MOTION? Oh yeah! Set up like 50' from the clock on the wall (I assume that's how far the coke bottle glasses engineers on crack stood for their tests) and pitch at the clock with various objects! MISSED! Missed! Missed again! Each time checking the unit battery and results- working perfectly fine except for the middle aged guy's pitching arm- no fault of Toshiba. Last try..I HIT IT!! What an explosion of plastic pieces! Parts flying everywhere!Giddy I run to my camcorder only to find the Satan Spawn Camorder had froze again!!!! Tried for an 20 minutes to retrieve the movie without reseting the battery- no luck. Took a deep breath and prayed for a good out come- out pops the battery! (sounds like a good Toshiba nursery rhyme!lol) Movie gone. wonderful.
4) Sitting here at my desk and I've just sent in for another RMA... going to give Toshiba one last chance- wish me luck! (I know....S-U-C-K-E-R!lol)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2011 7:47:48 AM PDT
If anyone from Toshiba cares to respond publicly about this- I welcome your advice! Really- I don't bite!

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 6:29:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 6:30:47 PM PDT
The same thing happened to me. Pressing the replay button resulted in the camcorder freezing and I too had to remove the battery to reboot. The battery life was also terrible, about 30 minutes of recording time in HD, pathetic. Also had trouble retrieving videos that were shot, also over-heating of the battery, the camera was almost too hot to handle. Really disappointed. Did Toshiba actually thoroughly test the P100 Camileo? One good thing, Amazon's customer service was amazing, they are sending me a replacement (P100, one more try) even before the return of the substandard/defective unit. Unbelievable in light of this era of poor customer service. We shall see. BTW, the user's manual is inadequate, it assumes the customer knows everything, there is no step-by-step instructions, like how to retrieve and manage stored videos. The replacement better be good or good-bye Toshiba!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 8:34:48 PM PDT
Good for you- I've sent my P100 in and am waiting for another Toshiba "credit" for yet another unit. Personally- if i could do it all over again I think I would stay away from Toshiba altogether, and from dealing with Toshiba as much as I have, all their products as well!lol Good luck Roland! Please do tell if you get a good P100!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 4:45:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2011 4:59:37 PM PDT
Still fooling around with the defective P100. Today (I'm a performance researcher) I tried using it again to test some things outdoors. Surprisingly, today it actually recorded for about 50 minutes in the highest HD setting, however, the battery level icon disappeared and I had that shinking feeling; so I stop recording expecting the 50 minutes to save, right, one could expect that? The hourglass icon came on but never turned off; the camcorder froze; I did not take the battery out, instead I left the battery in (the battery icon vanished at 50 minutes but the cam was still powered enough to show the save-hourglass icon for about another 15-20 minutes) until I got home and plugged it in. I thought that perhaps it was out of juice so it could not save the 50 minute file. No way, once I checked its innards there was no file to be found, so another day down the drain. Then to test it further I just hit record at home and waited until the battery ran out, not stopping it at all to save the file; again 52 minutes and indeed this file saved without my prompts/input to do so. So, on one hand when one actually stops the recording the file does not save (as it should seamlessly) and freezes the device; yet, if one just lets it run out the file is saved. I mean come on, is this some kind of a joke? I called Toshiba and the guy hung up on me. Anyway, I am testing again as I write this to see if I get more life out of the lower HD resolution, although one might think that resolution should not impact battery life, but I am not sure; I'll see. I'll also try to save at 50 minutes just to see if it freezes again. What this all points to is that Toshiba did not thoroughly test for all contingencies. Moreover, their troubleshooting section of the user's manual is useless, it brings up 4 or 5 issues. At this point I readily expect the replacement to be a dud. I have a cheap first generation back-up (RCA Small Wonder) that has served me well for 3 years, so I'll use it until I either keep or return the second P100. What a fiasco and loss of valuable time.

Frontierman, let me know what happens. I need a good inexpensive device that has 2-3 hours of battery time that is glitch free; please let me know if your new one fills the bill; Oh, BTW, I need a PAUSE BUTTON, the reason that I actually was attracted to the P100 since the newer pocket-cams tend not to have a PAUSE button, that leads to having to edit clips if one needs to hit start-stop alot like I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2011 6:31:40 PM PDT
Thank God someone has seen what I've seen! I swear I think my wife thinks I'm crazy!lol I too was drawn by the Pause button- they are invaluable for easy recording and going from clip to clip without starting a whole new clip. I also use it for my stop motion videos for the kids. On the P100? Not even funny what happened there! I was using the monochrome filter and recording- then paused to cut to another scene (kids and i were making a funny movie) and restarted the recording. To my suprise, and annoyance- the movie was now in color! I can't tell you how annoyed I was! Almost EVERY test I threw at this camera it failed!!! It's almost like Toshiba was going for the WORSTE PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARD!!! I have owned Toshiba laptops before and they aren't bad- so why don't they just stick to T.V.'s and computers and leave the camcorders to someone who knows what they are doing!lol May I ask what you thought of the slow motion?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2011 8:41:00 AM PDT
Have not tried the other bells and whistles yet, like SLO MO. I expect the new device to arrive today, will test the defective one, one more time to see if running out the battery leads to saving the extant file; since, as described yesterday, when I hit "stop" recording the 50 minutes shot led to a permanent freeze with visible hourglass icon and lost file. Then I'll test the new one, if it bombs that's it for Toshiba any product; I don't have time for this kind of nonsense.

Let me know if you come up with a good replacement; I'll post if the replacement works like advertised; but I doubt it since what are the odds that two people experience the FREEZE when they hit the playback button; so, I am expecting the worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 8:17:15 AM PDT
It came. I played. It froze. At least this one didn't freeze every other time like the last one. Still embarrassing quality on the slow motion though. On the bright side- when I used the pause button it din't kick me out of the filter i was using like it did before (went from a b/w video to a color one when I came out of pause...aggravating!) Will be talking to Toshiba about my $$$ back but doubt that will get me very far- anyone interested in joining my FB https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toshiba-Camcorders-Class-Action-suit/181348245280747?v=wall page to show support and show Toshiba we consumers are not going to take this awful treatment come join in!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 5:42:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 5:44:14 AM PDT
Just get a real camcorder. This is $150. For $150 more you can get a real camcorder. These hand held types are just for fun and are always going to have compromises. Considering that, you should adjust your rating from one star to at least 3 stars and up. Seriously, you are expecting way too much from a hand held $150 camcorder.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 2:36:08 AM PDT
Like you I get exactly the same problem. I use it for the about 50 minutes and it freezes when I finish the recording. However, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Did you manage to resolve this issue as I would like to get this sorted otherwise the camera is not much use.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 3:28:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2011 3:46:06 PM PDT
No, not resolved yet. Asked for my money back but they are unable to do that. Refuse to put it on Ebay because I refuse to pass this problem onto some unsuspecting person. Toshiba asked I try yet another camcorder- the X200 (they offered to pay for shipping and recieving this time!) which I am unsure of. After this, they said, if this new model still freezes then they'd be willing to take it to the next level.
As for Juiceman's comment~ I read your comment and could only laugh to myself. You assume alot Juiceman, and yet tell alot as well. I already have a "real" camcorder, a pretty expensive one at that to (twice as much as you suggested I pay). Actually I have a few but generally stick with my Sony for my special occasions. I was just hoping to get a pocket camera for more spur of the moment takes.
I do take exception with your comment that I am expecting too much for a $150 camera (which I got for $180). It seems to me you don't expect value for $150? Well, Juiceman, I don't agree. I think it's reasonable to assume that a reputable company such as Toshiba, up until this point that is, would produce and profit from a quality product that actually works within reason. I am a technician, by trade, and understand there will be quirks along the way. What we are seeing with Toshiba is a HUGE quality control oversight, something akin to Toshibas problem with their laptops catching on fire/overheating. I especially take exception with your logic that a person who can't pay much (ie. poor people) shouldn't ever expect quality? How sad for you on that outlook.
Lastly, Juiceman, I do feel bad for you- you have just publicly admonished me for giving a 1 star rating for a D-E-F-E-C-T-I-V-E product?? Instead you thought I should give the D-E-F-E-C-T-I-V-E product a 3 star? Why do I feel for you? You have reviewed here on Amazon previously and anyone who see's this thread will see you've compromised your reviewing ability and integrity without a doubt! I say D-E-F-E-C-T-I-V-E products get one star. Thanks for commenting though, it adds to the discussion! ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›