Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

6,825 of 6,866 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Lighted Leather Case - Two Important Concerns, August 31, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I've noticed that like myself customers have been concerned primarily with two things regarding the new lighted case from amazon. These are: 1)The weight and 2) The uneven lighting. My review will briefly discuss these two things.

1)The Weight - The lighted leather case is a nice weight, sturdy and comfortable to hold. In ounces it is about the weight of the kindle itself however don't let that concern you. With the case on it feels like a medium sized paperback, however it is far much more comfortable to hold. It's easy to hold the case open like a book (nice for couch and table type reading) or to fold the front back and close it with the bungee so that the bungee doesn't hang around (this is good for bedtime reading).Closing the front back with bungee keeps the case folded in position and you don't have to worry about it bothering you. BTW THIS CASE FOLDS BACK 100% - Very comfortable. In sum very comfortable to read with the case and very sturdy.

2) The uneven lighting - Amazon's pictures don't do this case justice. The light hits the ENTIRE screen. Yes if you look closely it's brighter in the top right corner than in the bottom left but Amazon's pics make it look the top is lighted while the bottom is dark. There is good light all over the screen. Trust me I'm fussy about these things - the lighting will not bother you, your entire screen will be lighted and it is extremely pleasant to read in the dark.

*Final Thoughts - Great case, good quality, works well, kindle feels very secure and protected (I would feel comfortable slipping this case into my backpack or suitcase and I think it would sustain some mild impact). Lastly hinges are a non-issue, casing of the kindle will not get damaged with normal or even slightly aggressive use. You could damage the kindle by trying to pull the back of the case but you'd have to really force it to cause any sort of damage to your kindle. The hinges work fine and should not be a concern to any case user.

Update 25th July 2011:

Have now been using the case for over 9 months. Leather still looks impeccable. Some people expressed concern that the bungee cord might loosen with use. I have not experienced any loosening so far. Quality of the product has proven outstanding. I've occasionally spilled or messed the cover, just a wipe with a damp cloth has cleaned it up, and the case looks like new. Have to admit I enjoy the feel of the case in my hand, there's just something great about taking your kindle to a coffee shop in this case, it just looks and feels so classy. Also with regard to the hinges: I have had no scratches on my kindle or any other issues, so I remain convinced that the hinges are a non issue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 143 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2010 10:45:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2010 10:49:02 AM PST
I agree with everything you say. It took me so long to decide on an ebook and I am so very happy with my choice. I got the lighted book cover in burnt orange. Feels like I'm holding an elegant book. I feel it's perfect! It lights up the screen great. Of course it will be brighter in the upper right corner but the lower left corner gets plenty of light to read by. I also read before I go to sleep and one thing I'd like to add - with the 10 minute turn off feature, I can fall asleep and my kindle and light goes off. My sleep is not disturbed to shut off a reading light. I will use your tip of securing the back of the book with the bungee. I just love my Kindle and lighted cover!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 11:41:41 PM PST
Hi yes that is a great feature, I sometimes fall asleep as well while reading in bed, so its nice to know that it will go off eventually and not drain my battery.

Burnt orange, that should look great with the graphite kindle. I was torn between the burgundy red and the black, i'm happy with my choice though. I love it as well, just feels nice and solid, and very classic.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 6:49:20 AM PST
I have only had my Kindle a week, and I think this is an excellent case. As stated in the review, I find the lighting to be sufficient for the whole screen. My previous e-reader was a Sony Pocket Reader, and I had the lighted case for it. This case is the same width as the one for the Sony because the light is retractable from the top right where the Sony's was left of the e-reader and adding to the width.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010 7:04:33 AM PST
Yes, I would highly recommend this for anyone. I thought I would not like reading books on an eReader but I can't put my Kindle down!

Posted on Jan 1, 2011 2:46:24 PM PST
D. M. Browne says:
Hope the lighted cover works as well as everyone here says. Bought the standard, no light cover and it crashed my Gen 3 Kindle, continually rebooted it, and always lost my current page. Customer Svc says this has happened to many customers, but the lighted cover seems to not cause problems. I guess I'll find out in a few days...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 7:41:01 AM PST
My Kindle froze one evening - I was able to successfully reboot without a problem following the instructions on Amazon website. I didn't have the light on at the time but was connected to WiFi downloading some free books and I believe that had something to do with why it froze. I find that I use my light much more than I originally anticipated. Hope you get the situation resolved quickly. Happy New Year!

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 1:30:48 PM PST
I received my Kindle cover as a Christmas gift in the hot pink color. I continue to be impressed with it as I use my Kindle. I can continue to read after my husband has gone to be and the light is off. My Kindle cover light doesn't bother him at all. I love the fact that it won't come on unless I have my Kindle fully on and the light is extended.

I don't know if I would have spent $59 on this myself, but I am very happy someone did it for me!

Posted on Jan 13, 2011 8:10:54 AM PST
Can someone tell me how the Kindle attaches to this cover? I am considering purchasing it for my Kindle but want to make sure it will be secure and well protected.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 5:44:20 PM PST
J. Co-Gustin says:
There are two metal hinges near the spine of the cover which hooks directly to the Kindle. Check out the cover's product description because it contains pictures showing how it works. The cover is surprisingly secure! I've had my Kindle and cover since Christmas and absolutely love them. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2011 8:05:40 PM PST
Thank you so much for your help.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›