2.0 out of 5 stars I REALLY wanted to like the Canon ELPH 320, but ..., May 6, 2012
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 320 HS 16.1 MP Wi-Fi Enabled CMOS Digital Camera with 5x Zoom 24mm Wide-Angle Lens with 1080p Full HD Video and 3.2-Inch Touch Panel LCD (Red) (Electronics)
I REALLY wanted to like this camera. Initially I only needed to upgrade. I have two older Canon ELPH series cameras (8 mp and 10 mp) and love them both. I take a lot of photos and videos and especially wanted full HD video capability. Although I like Canon, I considered a number of other brands as well. The minute I saw that cameras were now coming out with the WiFi option I was intrigued. I already upload both photos and videos from my android phone and my android tablet directly to both Facebook and YouTube. After a week of research I settled on the Canon ELPH 320. I spent a week working with it. The touch screen works fine and the quality of both photos and videos seemed quite good. However the WiFi option was a total disappointment. I never did get it to recognize either of my two PCs despite turning off firewalls and any thing else I could think to do. Well, I figured I could live without that. It does upload directly to YouTube as advertised but I must have missed the small print on the "direct upload to Facebook" option. It uploads to Canon's cloud once you create an account. Frankly, I've always found it irritating when someone wants me to go check out their photos and sends me a link to Kodak or some other album in the cyber cloud, usually requiring me to sign up for yet another account. The Facebook icon does appear on the camera's sharing screen and it will upload photos, but it uploads to the Canon account, not Facebook. Apparently you then post to your "friends" the link and they go look at your photos there. A small bit of mis-leading advertising on Canon's part in my opinion, assuming there was nothing I overlooked. I might have been able to shine on the whole WiFi thing but I had one more complaint. The audio in the videos sounded slightly muffled to me compared to my older cameras. I turned off the wind damper option and made sure I didn't have any fingers over the microphones and took sample videos comparing the new camera audio with the old camera's. I'm pretty sure it wasn't my imagination. The audio on the ELPH 320 wasn't as good.

I could very well discover that will be the case with all the HD cameras and the stereo audio, but I hope not. I'm returning the camera and, as much as I would like the WiFi idea, I fear that technology in the camera market has just not caught up yet with the phones and the tablets, so I'll opt for a less feature rich camera and try again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2012 9:36:20 PM PDT
Grifter says:
I agree with you on the sound issue, so far. The mono sound from my old Canon p&s's sounds louder and clearer. I've only had it one day and I'm wondering if this is how stereo sound is like on these new hd video capable Canons. I haven't edited my video files into a movie yet to view on my HD TV so maybe it will sound better then, but on the actual camera and on my laptop, the stereo sound does sound muffled.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 11:44:37 AM PDT
M. Barr says:
I'm glad the sound wasn't just my imagination. It was my fear, also, that it was due to the stereo feature, however I returned the 320 for the ELPH 110 - no touch screen, no Wifi - and the mic is on the top instead of the front. It does say it's stereo, but I wouldn't know the difference. I'm very pleased with it and think the audio is just fine as long as I can keep my finger off of the mic while I'm taking videos.

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 7:51:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2013 7:51:51 AM PDT
I wish I had read this particular review, as I too have failed at adding the device with two different computers. You could not make me believe it functions without the USB umbilical.

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 12:51:14 PM PDT
I can't understand why they simply can't make the SD Card appear on your desktop like an external drive would when using the WIFI? Why in the world would you need to have to open one of their horrid little apps to do anything? I returned mine the other day and you can read why here:

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 2:58:02 PM PST
Adam says:
I am SEARCHING for a camera that I can directly upload pics to facebook and was ABOUT to purchase this one until I read you review! Thank you! Have you (or anyone) found a camera that can do this?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›