5.0 out of 5 stars A single mom recommends it, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Courageous (DVD)
As a single mom, I was a little afraid that a movie that encourages fathers towards faithfulness would be discouraging to me. I was afraid that it might poke where I hurt.

Several of my teens and I watched _Courageous_ during its opening weekend. I laughed really hard; I cried too. I was pleased that the plot had some unexpected twists. I felt the characterization was believable. Some of the one-on-one violence (punching) was a little much for my stomach, but certainly seemed to fit the plot; it wasn't gratuitous. The next morning it suddenly occurred to me that I noticed not one swear word. Not one. (Thanks, Sherwood Films!!)

Over the last 14 months much has sapped me of strength and courage, sadly, all of it coming from within the Christian community. By contrast, this movie gave me renewed strength and courage for the task before me as a single mom.

In my family, both _Fireproof_ and _Courageous_ are now mandatory viewing for everyone age 12 and up. Jesus used stories to engage hearts and minds to turn people towards Himself. _Courageous_, likewise uses a story to engage hearts and minds to turn people towards Christ and toward their God-given responsibilities as parents. I highly recommend it.

Even for single moms. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 6:35:34 AM PDT
Harold Wolf says:
Denise,
God Bless you for speaking up as a single mom. This movie is way beyond just father/child; it is parent/child; or even other family relationships as they exist in today's world. Nice review--from the heart. I'm sure you are a courageous mom. Did you know there are books out connected to this movie? "The Resolution for Men" and "The Resolution for Women". See, even the writers of this great story knew in advance that this was for moms as well as dads. I've glanced at the books but not read through them.
My wife and I did get the Fireproof book, "The Love Dare", and did the work together after that film. Likely the books for this movie will be beneficial, especially for women/men who have children yet under their roof.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 11:17:44 PM PST
Illinois guy says:
There acutually was a swear unfortunately. :( It suprised me. How can they put a swear in a christian movie!!

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 12:24:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2012 12:25:57 AM PST
F. Bitakis says:
I would also add "Facing the Giants" to your list of mandatory movies for your family as well. It is my favorite one. Very uplifting. Courageous is a close 2nd.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 12:24:59 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 9, 2012 12:25:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 10:05:50 AM PDT
noddy says:
where was the swear word?

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 7:11:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2012 7:19:44 AM PDT
KittyKins says:
Thank you for your review! As I posted at the end of another review, I was a bit worried about that...single mother's feelings while watching this film. I've talked to some of my friends who are single mothers who liked the film as well. I think it's horrible that you have had lack of support within your church family (emphasizing that last word). So often people are too judgemental without knowing the true facts that aren't their business. I've had many friends in the same situation. So many single Mom's do a fantastic job bringing up their kids. Like Hagar in the Bible, the Lord will not abandon you. I hope this film doesn't take away from the great job so many mothers do. I hope you have happier times ahead and although I don't know you or your situation, I will pray. Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:38:57 PM PST
Because there is nothing inherently anti-Christian with fiction that uses such language. You'll find that the best Christian fiction of the past 2000 years often features vulgarity, because the aim of Christian Fiction, ideally, is not to be a spotless, moralistic recitation of Things Christians Should and Shouldn't Do, but rather a beautiful piece of art that in some way praises that which is most beautiful, and leads others to contemplation of Him.

Note that I am not saying that this film is included in that category of "best Christian fiction" by any stretch of the imagination; I am just saying if your guiding principle is vulgarity you'll miss out on everything from Dante to Donne.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (2,411 customer reviews)
 (2,169)