5.0 out of 5 stars One Lens for Vacations, Portraits and Fun, April 27, 2008
This review is from: Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens (Camera)
I know what you're thinking: Seventeen hundred bucks or more for a mere midrange zoom?

There is nothing "mere" about this zoom!

Wide open, Nikon's new workhorse is sharper than most prime lenses. That's right -- I shoot all day long at f/2.8 (I like resulting blurry backgrounds) and never, never lack for sharpness. Being able to shoot f/2.8 at night doesn't stink, either.

Colors are vibrant, the bokeh (out of focus areas) is creamy, and you'll see ghosts and flares *only* when shooting straight into the sun. And I've never seen an autofocus do its thing so quickly or with such accuracy. I'm catching a lot of shots I used to miss.

No lens is perfect. This one has exactly three drawbacks.

1. It's pretty darn big for a midrange, so sometimes I miss Nikon's compact 18-200mm zoom. And that's without the massive lens hood in place. Snapped on, a big lens gets even bigger.

2. The zoom ring is too close to the camera body. I've only been shooting with it for a few days, but I keep grabbing the manual focus ring by mistake. There's a learning curve here, and I'm not yet over it.

3. It's in short supply. Good luck finding this beast at the suggested retail price.

On my D300 however, it's as perfect as a giant, expensive hunk of glass can get. It takes all my standard 77mm filters, and its DX-effective 35-105mm (approximate) zoom range makes it a great "walk around" lens. It goes wide enough for most landscape shots, and zeroes right in on my two-year-old's face.

But mostly I can't get over the sharpness, the color, and the responsiveness of the autofocus. I probably paid too much for mine, but it was worth every penny.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2008 4:28:57 PM PDT
Isaac Alonzo says:

Posted on Sep 3, 2008 6:52:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2008 6:53:09 PM PDT
No, he was right. You multiply by 1.5 to get the crop factor for the DX sensor, which makes this equivalent to a 36-105 on a DX camera.

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 10:58:41 AM PST
D. Zhao says:
zoom ring too close to the camera? at least you got a larger surface zoom ring to grab on... I have the 17-55mm 2.8, it's much narrower than this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2009 6:15:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2009 6:16:12 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 5:59:28 PM PDT
AP says:
Why is this lens not a VR lens? Nikon, can you answer this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2010 9:05:00 PM PDT
D. Rouleau says:
It's not really needed on a 24-70mm lens, especially on an FX camera for which this lens was primarily designed for. If one can't handhold a 70mm lens fairly steady in most cases, VR isn't going to help all that much anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 3:05:36 PM PDT
Coronet Blue says:
What does using an FX format camera have to do with it? Holding a great lens fairly steady will give fairly good results regardless of the camera body. I thought VR on short focal length lenses was a gimmick until I shot indoors with the 16-35 at f/8 for depth of field, at 400 ISO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2010 3:31:15 PM PDT
D. Rouleau says:
There's no crop factor on FX lenses like on DX...the 24-70mm on a DX camera is really a 36-105mm lens in 35mm/FX format. Not much of a difference, but a difference nonetheless. I agree that VR would be really nice on the 24-70, but it's not hugely critical for this lens. Even at ISO 200 in most outdoor situations, handholding isn't a problem. Indoors, on my D3 I can still crank it up to ISO 3200 and get fairly acceptable results with this lens, handheld.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 3:29:46 PM PST
Kay One says:
An FX format camera is usually a larger and heavier body which better balances this large and heavy lens. I should I know, I was using this lens exclusively with my D7000 crop body until I just picked up a D700, now with the FX sensor I can unlock the full field of view afforded by the lens.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:52:50 PM PDT
VR on this lens would just add unnecessary weight to an already heavy lens. I love this lens, but one thing it does not need is added weight...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›