2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie.. HORRIBLE Blu-ray transfer!!!, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Clash of the Titans (Blu-ray Book Packaging) (Blu-ray)
Okay, I really like this movie and have since 1981 when it was theatrically released. It's not my favorite Harryhausen fantasy but it's in my top 5.

I ordered this blu-ray from Amazon.com a week or so ago and it just arrived today. This is where I kick myself in the head for not reading other's reviews of the blu-ray first. The transfer sucks BIG TIME or, perhaps it was just the elements used to create this blu-ray that were a mixed bag! Most (not all) of the daylight scenes were excellent but the evening and night scenes were truly horrid. From the opening scenes of the soldiers on the sandy beach right up to the end titles all I could see were large chunks of dirt that wasn't removed prior to making the transfer. Way too much film grain (much more than should be for a film of this age) and artifacts throughout.. all this clearly visible in the darker and some of the daylight scenes viewed on a 65 inch HD LED TV.

It seems the studios are really getting lazy (or is it just cheap?) in releasing newer and older films in substandard transfers.

I can name on perhaps 1 hand the films I feel are really superb transfers to blu-ray. Another 25 to 30 that are good and all the rest (approx 985 in my collection) as dismal failures as far as the quality of the transfers. I invested in Blu-ray for the promised superb quality this new format offered and to be honest I feel cheated MOST of the time to the point where I'm not going to be buying blu-rays based on how much I like/love the film but more importantly how good the quality of the transfer is. It's just a slap in the face from the studios to wait for them to make one of my favorites available on blu-ray and to be let down once again by a skanky presentation.

Two other blu-rays of recent note that I have had problems with (Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan) have been recalled by the studios for faulty transfers because we consumers bombarded them with complaints. I don't expect that to happen in this case because compared to the two just mentioned, CLASH is an older film with (I'm guessing) nowhere the amount of fans.

So if you really like this film and have a TV larger than 40 inches I'd stay away from this title. However if your TV is smaller and don't expect to be buying a larger one in the next couple of years, then go ahead and buy it coz you probably won't be able to see the deficits in the transfer.

And for all of you who won't be buying this blu-ray, do check out two other Harryhausen films (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts) on blu-ray coz they look really GREAT. Sony 10 / Warner 2

Peace out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2011 4:56:50 PM PDT
Thanks so much for this review. I do wish more people would discuss the quality of the transfers of older films!

I've been "trying," "hoping" to replace some standard DVDs with BD editions and always approach the idea with trepidation for just the reasons you state: so many are carelessly done, or perhaps being handled by people who know little or nothing about transferring film to ANY media. Period.

Thanks for warning me off this particular BD!

Posted on Aug 7, 2011 4:56:52 PM PDT

Thanks for warning me off this particular BD!

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 2:18:16 AM PDT
I would like to add to the Blu-Ray version review to say that I really appreciate viewers commenting on the Blu-Ray transfer. It's the reason we purchase Blu-Rays. I'm also keen on reviews of the extras and purchase my movies world wide depending upon the quality of the extras as well as the transfer.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 11:36:25 AM PDT
blu ray.com always discusses the transfer of movies on blu ray. they are great. but seriously 900 bad blu rays?
I admit many are flat looking, I can live with that. it's the dirt and scratches that are just wrong!! galaxina, halloween h20,
kellys heroes all look torn up, it' s not a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 6:05:28 PM PST
This really isn't a movie that would benefit from being on Blu Ray in the 1st place. I can see things like "Tron." But comedies, romances, black and whites, horror, Shakespeare, drama, and older action films aren't going to show much of a difference. In fact sometimes, it's even worse on blu ray because all the imperfections are made more visible.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 1:41:47 AM PST
grafdog says:
Yep, just got a copy, had to turn it off after about 10 minutes because it looks like cr@p. Its the same as the regular dvd unconverted.

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 10:06:57 PM PDT
80s movies were often shot on fairly bad film stock that showed a lot of grain, especially in darker scenes. I'd much rather have a blu ray that's faithful to the original level of grain, than one that slaps a bunch of digital noise removal onto the movie and removes all the texture from things like skin and cloth, making people look like wax figures (compare the grainy Predator [Blu-ray] to the later release Predator (Ultimate Hunter Edition) [Blu-ray] that made everyone look super waxy). And you say "I kick myself in the head for not reading other's reviews of the blu-ray first", but the reviews I've seen from sites that specialize in blu ray comparisons have said this is about the best we can reasonably expect given the source material--blu-ray dot com says " Clash of the Titans has never looked better and, barring a complete overhaul and pricier resurrection, doesn't leave too much room for improvement", and dvdbeaver dot com says "This Blu-ray seems to have done it's best with the original sources" (both also say it's much better than the DVD).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2013 10:10:15 PM PDT
If you don't think there's much of a difference between this and the DVD, try mousing over any of the images here to see the same image alternate between the DVD version and the blu ray version: www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?art=part&x=498&y=209&action=1&image=4&cID=796&cap1=6025&cap2=6017&lossless=#vergleich
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (500 customer reviews)

$19.98 $13.89