3.0 out of 5 stars Could be 2*, could be 5*, May 31, 2013
This review is from: Samsung WB30F Smart Wi-Fi Digital Camera, 16.2 Megapixel, 10X zoom, 3.0" LCD Display (White) (Electronics)
June 2013 Update: ** (2*) was correct (I can't seem to change my original rating on the Amazon review). As I wrote in my initial review, I am coming back with more after using the camera. Since it took me so long to set up, I hadn't any experience when I wrote about the set up difficulties. I've used the camera in a variety of situations and am disappointed in its picture quality. While the photos look sharp on the camera's screen, they were not sharp on my computer screens (I didn't print any). The image stabilization did not work very well and pictures taken in low (not terribly low) light were just not acceptable. Also, there appeared to be quite a bit of "flare" when there was a light source in or near the frame.

Now, I understand how subjective an assessment of photo quality can be so I was very hesitant to write about it. But, when I went to shop for another camera, I was helped by an extremely knowledgeable salesperson. This person agreed with me that the user interface was good (after getting past the difficult set up) and the WiFi features were good as well. But we both knew that the picture quality was not as good as that of other brands. I was glad to see that I wasn't punishing this camera because it was frustrating to set up.

I have several Samsung products (HDTV, Android phone, BluRay DVD player) and I am usually a fan. However, they don't seem to be among the best when it comes to this WB30F. Even on the products that I do like, the user interfaces have not been worked out to a level that I would call excellent.

Below, is my initial review:
---

It's hard to rate this camera because it is so hard to set up. I'm giving it 3* in this review because that seems like a compromise.

I bought this camera because it has WiFi and I want to have my pictures sent to my computer without connecting a cable.

The camera comes with a rudimentary setup guide in the box but no manual. After an hour or so (yes!) of searching, I finally found and downloaded a manual. Samsung doesn't have a consistent naming policy (sometimes it is WB30F, other times it is WB 30F). The manual appears to be complete, but it doesn't give much help with getting the WiFi auto backup to work.

To use the wireless backup to a computer, you need to install two programs: Samsung iLaunch and Samsung PC AutoBackup. Installation of these programs begins when you plug the camera into a USB port on your computer. But, who knew that's the way to install these programs. If you turn on WiFi on the camera the onscreen display tells you to run these programs. BUT DO NOT DO WHAT I DID. I searched the Internet for these programs, found sites that purport to download the software, but instead load a bunch of hard-to-remove garbage on your computer.

Samsung really needs to make it clear how to install these necessary programs.

I removed the garbage from my browsers, deleted them using add/remove programs and was ready for the installation again.

After I plugged the WB30F into the USB, I did get a chance to install the software. But the onscreen display says to install "iLauncher" and the computer popup asks you if you want to install "iLinker". Who knew?

Well, when iLinker pops up, that's the one to install. After that is installed, it gives you the option to install "PC AutoBackup". The rest of the setup was okay.

I haven't had a chance to look at photo quality and other features yet because I wasted so much time on installing the WiFi stuff. I'll come back with more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 2, 2013 8:25:09 AM PDT
No Ax To Grind,
could you possibly provide the link for the WB30F manual?
Thanks!
Henry

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:59:13 AM PDT

Posted on Oct 25, 2013 12:02:24 PM PDT
Jim says:
"While the photos look sharp on the camera's screen, they were not sharp on my computer screens (I didn't print any)."

A computer monitor is totally incapable of displaying a 16MP image; 1920x1080 (Or 1080P) comes in at 2.1MP. Not a fair demerit. A better metric would be to PRINT a copy and make a judgement based on that.

It's 100 dollar camera, sounds like you were looking for an 800 dollar Nikon and bought this by mistake

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 4:12:34 PM PST
kmcorby says:
So now that you did all the work to set it up, how does the wifi connectivity work? How easy is it to upload/share pictures?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›