2.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet for me, November 16, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Tekken 6 (Greatest Hits) - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I wanted to wait at least a week after buying this game to post a review, and I'm glad I did. I've seen reviews ranged from glowing to garbage, and after a week with it I can see why the reactions are so varied.

THE GOOD: Graphics are beautiful. I have both SC4 and Tekken6, and I personally think the movement and details on T6 outshine SC4. That's not a popular opinion, but I think it's quite obvious to me. The fighting mechanics and buttons are classic Tekken, and the ability to customize buttons is much appreciated. Characters are extremely individual, with different styles, moves, responses, looks, all unique to each character. Even with that, fights are extremely fair, with almost everyone able to grab a character and have fun (except against skilled players of Tekken, which I am not). The massive amount of costume customization options is incredible.

THE BAD: The campaign mode is horrible. Do we really need cinematic cutscenes every five seconds? Hello, Metal Gear Solid 2, anyone? The concept of the campaign mode is great, the fighting and execution remain annoying. I never tried online play, so I can't really say anything about lag when playing online. Load times are appalling. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to force you to rechoose your character and reload your fighter, your opponent, and your scene WHEN CONTINUING A FIGHT EACH AND EVERY TIME, EVEN IF YOU'RE KEEPING EVERYTHING THE SAME (!) should be demoted. Or fired. After the thirtieth time I'm fighting Azazel, I already know to "get ready for the next battle!" and that I'll be fighting the final boss Azazel; I really don't need you to make me hear and see this every single time I continue. Just let me continue and jump right back into the fight rather than make me wait longer than the fight will actually take while things are reloading. Thanks. And that dizzying array of costume customization pieces? They cost a freaking fortune, each and every one. Good luck earning enough fight money to buy even ten of them.

THE UGLY: Azazel has finally displaced MK2's Kintaro as the cheapest, most aggravating boss I've ever had the misfortune to play against. I've played video games for over thirty years, and I'm pretty darn good at beating them, including the hard ones like the original Ninja Gaiden. But I flat out cannot beat Azazel. His reach is insane, his moves are beyond cheap, he does roughly 75% of his damage while you're on the ground or in the air, and he has multiple ranged attacks that no playable character can try to match. Oh, and the cute teleport move is a joy, especially when he/she/it flies around you and hits you in the back when you're already moving to intercept it. Fighting defensively worked best, but he always gets me with a cheap juggle or his teleport.

So, my final verdict for Tekken 6 is that this is an absolutely beautiful game with amazing graphics and a terrific fight system right up until the last two bosses. The costume pieces would look lovely, but only if you could actually afford to equip them. I'm not going to spend the next two years fighting to earn enough money to equip my characters the way I'd really like them to be. If you're an experienced Tekken player who loves a challenge, then this game will probably be a 4- or 5-star title for you. For everyone else, it's 2 stars. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep mine to play with my friends or if I'm going to sell it or trade it in. It's sort of a toss-up right now. What I'm sure of is that this game wasn't worth full price. Save your money and buy a used copy in a few weeks, because there are going to be LOTS of them for sale.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2009 11:52:15 AM PST
This is a rather unusual review which lambastes a multiplayer-centric game for a shoddy single player component.

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 1:58:36 PM PST
R. Aguilar says:
You can't beat Azazel? Fail.

The cheapest boss since MK2? Please tell me you're joking. Just block and wait for a frame advantage, then launch him, he's huge and easy to juggle. Maybe you should lay off fighting games and give Yahoo! Chess a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2010 11:54:07 AM PDT
Michael Kim says:
I agree with the above poster that this is a multicentric game. Scenario Mode is basically a bonus game that was added to the main versus component of the game. You must remember that Tekken was originally from the arcade scene, so its best played with a buddy mashing away right next to you.

Furthermore, I agree Azazel is difficult, even to seasoned Tekken players. My advice is learn your juggles and constantly spam launchers. I know its unsafe, but the computer doesnt really punish properly (half the time atleast.) Furthermore, I disagree with Aguilar... you can't block and wait for frame advantages with Azazel as a lot of his moves are plus frames on block to HIM. Yes, this is cheap, and yes, this makes this fight difficult. He has multiple homing moves against sidestep, and a huge reach so backdashing is difficult. Again, just spam launchers and land your juggles.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (293 customer reviews)

$19.99 $18.85