4.0 out of 5 stars General Subject Magazine with a News Focus, March 20, 2004
I began subscribing to Time Magazine as a way of getting more depth on world and national events, as well as sound bites related to a variety of events. While I have found that Time Magazine leans a bit toward the left, in general I have been able to read through the slant of the language. Additionally, it is always good to have a balanced viewpoint of the world, and given my traditional lean to the right, Time provides some balance to my personal opinions.
The magazine presents a broad array of articles that cover key events such as births, deaths, marriages, divorces, and indictments, in "Milestones," sort of a mini-People Magazine. The entertainment portion covers books, television, movies, recordings, and even occasionally live performances. The "Numbers" portion is short, but provides comparisons of numbers to help put numbers into perspective, like the amount spent on school children per year versus the amount spent per soldier per year (I am unable to remember if Time reported that exact statistic, but that is the sort of thing they compare - it is fascinating). Time even includes letters to the editor, which are always interesting to read.
In keeping with the times, Time also has articles about computers and technology, and internet sites and scams are often reported. Time also does a good job of analyzing styles and trends in society, and how those styles and trends can affect us. Commentaries by writers such as Joel Stein often put these articles into interesting and humorous perspective.
At the heart of Time are the analytical articles. Typically there will be at least two and sometimes more articles that are in-depth. In some circumstances the magazine will explore a subject with several articles on the same issue, which is when the magazine also provides its most balanced reporting because the articles when then attempt to see the issue from all sides. The joy of the magazine is that with the quality of the print and the organization of the articles it is generally easy to skim and pick out key facts.
I've subscribed to a variety of magazines that are general news magazines over the years. I had previously tried Newsweek, which I also liked but thought was a little too focused, as well as U.S. News and World Report, which was great for straight on news, but again was more news versus an array of articles. It is Time Magazine's breadth that makes it the "Reader's Digest" of news magazines. It has a bit of this and a bit of that, and it may lead you to seek out more information on a subject. Ultimately, it is the exposure to the large variety of subjects that makes Time Magazine one of my favorite magazines, and now my only news magazine. Definitely subscribe because it is more cost effective, and the longest subscriptions are the cheapest. My son and I usually fight to see who will get the new issue of Time first. It usually doesn't take long to skip through it, but we each want to be the first to know!

[Add comment]