5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Couples, October 30, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Eternal Sonata - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I bought this game with a little trepidation. I'm always afraid that I'm going to spend $60 on a game, get it home and have it suck. I was especially nervous about this game because I was looking for a co-op game to play with my fiance. I didn't want to have to worry about wandering around looking for fights to get into so the other person could play, I wanted it to be fun for both of us.

With that being said, let me tell you why I give this game 5 stars:

I am absolutely in love with Eternal Sonata. It's everything I could have ever wanted in an RPG. Some people may say it's a little short or that the game is very linear, but in my opinion these are pluses. I played FFVII and I never finished it. I really really wanted to finish it and be one of *those* people, but I got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go next. I'm not one for looking up walk-throughs online to find out where I should go next, I really just want to play the game not figure out what I need to do next. If I wanted a puzzle, I would play a puzzle game.

The battle scenes in this game are great and there are plenty to keep both you and a friend interested. The graphics are just amazing and I was really surprised to see that the game actually looked like the trailers. I love the animations on the special attacks, my fiance said to me "This game probably makes us look pretty impressive because of all of these flashy moves." The best part of battles is that you are actually cooperating. It's not just you and your friend controlling different characters. When your party levels you can start earning echos for each hit you make that isn't blocked. These echos can be stored up and any player can use them to make their special actions more powerful. It's great for building up the last hit on a boss or saving a character whose near death.

I'm also really impressed with the story for this game. It's historical and philosophical and fantastic all at the same time. You get to learn about Chopin's life and meditate about the reality of dreams. Not to mention having a game based on a musician makes for excellent score. Each chapter is based on a different composition of Chopin's. I love playing just so I can listen to the music...it's not repetitive or boring.

I would definitely recommend this game to people who enjoy rpg's and want to play with a friend or significant other. I think it's a great game for all ages and it doesn't have a gigantic learning curve, but it's got just enough mystery to make it fun to figure out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2008 6:23:42 AM PST
I was unaware that you could play this as a two player game with two controllers. I've been trying to get my wife to try RPG's but she always gets lost and can't remember where she is or what to do next. I've been playing RPG's since they first came out. The original Phantasy Star etc....
Be nice if I can do a lot of that work and she can help in battles.
If it really is 2 player they should make it more obvious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 10:13:05 AM PDT
T. Benefield says:
True enough. I only noticed the press to join or something similar in the corner of the screen while I was in a battle, and thought 'cool an rpg that I could actually play with someone else at the same time'. It's a beautiful game, and the combat system is an interesting mix of real time and turn based, that is probably easier and more fun if you do have that second player.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 8:58:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2010 8:59:11 AM PST
"I really really wanted to finish it and be one of *those* people, but I got stuck and couldn't figure out where to go next. I'm not one for looking up walk-throughs online to find out where I should go next, I really just want to play the game not figure out what I need to do next. If I wanted a puzzle, I would play a puzzle game."

I'm the same way. The random nature of the exploration elements in JRPGs offers no enjoyment for me, and, in my opinion, if I need to look up or purchase a guide for a game then that's a telling sign of its poor design. When I play a JRPG I do it for the story, characters, and, to an extent, the combat, not to solve boring puzzles or get screwed over by not earning a necessary spell before a boss.

Thanks for your review; I'll definitely check out Eternal Sonata. I also have high hopes for the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII as it is said to be a largely linear experience. It would certainly be nice to be able to finish a Final Fantasy game!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2010 10:28:12 PM PDT
Ragnar says:
If you haven't checked out FFXIII yet, it is a mostly linear experience, and a map shows where you should go to advance the story, which I personally rather liked.

OP, thanks for your review. I am looking for co-op RPGs to share with my woman. Sounds like this game's co-op is similar to that of Tales of Vesperia.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2011 7:24:55 PM PST
Justin Ham says:
this is a late reply, but while FFXIII is very linear, in the middle of the game you are thrust into a wide plain area where you're forced to grind and grind to level your characters up so you'll have a chance of beating the next area's enemies. i just know that at that point of the game people will either really enjoy or really hate so there is a point where it does get repetitive.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 8:04:13 AM PDT
My girlfriend has been into playing RPGs recently (and like the OP, I have to play "navigator" due to her poor spatial inference in gaming) and looked up lists of PS3 ones. She saw this one, and was all "omg, Chopin with a seriously low voice, <3<3<3<3<3" etc. It's good to know the multiplayer is engaging.

I bought "Eternal Sonata" alongside "Valkyria Chronicles" and FF13. She played FFX and FFX-2 and thinks all FF games will be that good... she's in for a rude surprise. And that's not insulting FF13. I'm just saying that X and X-2 were masterworks compared to the other games in the series I've played.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:17:20 PM PST
I think that Final Fantasy 8 is the best game out there. I have been a little disapointed with the other titles in the series. I hope Eternal Sonata and the new Final Fantasy game will do bitter!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:30:30 PM PST
Stephen there are a great many games out there that are multiplayer all you have to do is look on the back of the game to see how many players. single players are only one person games. A multiplayer will let you have one to four players sometimes eight if you have Kinect for Xbox 360. I am searching for multiplayer games for my PS3. You can have eight players on a PS3 if you own the PS move and the right number of controllers. If you don't own the PS move than you can only have four players at a time have fun with the games.

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 11:02:02 AM PDT
leviathan says:
Your Comment is very helpful in the end about the music and the depth of the tale, but I very much disagree with your bashing of FFVII, Many consider it a masterpiece, if you don't like it, if you didn't like it or did not had enough time or "will" to figure out some puzzles, then simply don't play, most actually appreciate those aspects of the game as well, next to the story and music.

O_O I just noticed the comment actually was made in 2008, so kudos.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 2:08:48 PM PDT
Lance says:
Then you haven't played FFVI and VII. Definitely the best games of the series, even better than X, which was pretty good...

I really like the Co-Op idea in Eternal Sonata, maybe I give it a try then.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (167 customer reviews)

$29.99 $22.80