Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars "We called it 'Sin.'", April 12, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy X (Video Game)
Final Fantasy X is the last TRUE FF that has been made. As much as I love FFX-2 and really like so much of FFXII, to this day, I still feel Final Fantasy X is the last real Final Fantasy. I have played just about every single Final Fantasy. Not Final Fantasy XI since it's online and a couple off titles like Tactics Advance and Crystal Bearers for the WII. But I am a HUGE Final Fantasy fan and love FF's VI through X-2 the most. I'm not going to go into a too long detailed review but I have to mention some very important things.

First, I have to completely disagree with what Amazon has in it's cons about little innovation. That's so not true. There's a lot of innovation and some things here I wish would return in future FF's. The whole battle system with the CTB is so unique and never used in a FF before. I love being able to use more strategy and use that CTB window to determine when the next enemy will attack and which character will go next depending on what I do in battle. And being able to switch out characters in battle. This was such a genius addition to the series after having the traditional turned based from FFI and the ATB from other FF's before FFX. I really love the CTB and it wasn't used in enough games. FFXII should have had the CTB as well. It really needs to return for at least another true FF. It's such a shame that it hasn't been used in FFXII or FFXIII.

Which brings me to another point: a lot of people are complaining about the random encounters and calling this boring which couldn't be further from the truth. People just don't understand what Final Fantasy is supposed to be. It's a RPG, NOT an action game series. As much as I like FFXII, the removal of the traditional turned based system is a great downfall. That's another thing that makes me love FFX and FFX-2 and how they are the last TRUE FF's. They have that Final Fantasy feel that has been missing since when FFXI first appeared.

But another main thing is the storyline in this game. From the very opening credits, to the very last part with the Game Over screen, this game pulls you in and never lets up. You feel joy, excitement, amazement, sorrow, sadness and so much more and you actually care about the characters. It's more than just a game. It's an experience. It's like reading a book and watching a movie but it's not just that because mostly it's gameplay but you know what I mean. You get so engrossed that you end up playing this game for days without even realizing it. You want to know who Tidus is and where he came from. You want to know if Yuna can save the world from 'Sin.' And who or what is 'Sin' anyway? That's for me to know and you to find out and much, much more. This game has so much to offer and I love it so much, I'm on my 6th playthrough and counting.

I'm just so amazed at the amazing graphics and voice acting too. The chocobos are so cute and adorable and I love dodging lightning in the Thunder Plains. Amazing caverns, swimming and battling underwater, riding chocobos, the gorgeous, GORGEOUS town of Guadosalem (you'll see what I mean when you get there) and the Farplane. The music is incredible. So many different emotions you feel in the music alone. I love this just as much as Final Fantasy VI through IX. Please, please, experience FFX. It's not just a game. It's a totally unique experience. HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 6, 2010 10:00:32 PM PDT
L. Pinskiy says:
I agree with you completely. Final fantasy X was the last *real* FF game. I was deeply disappointed with X-2, and I stopped playing XII after about 2 hours (It's story just didn't reel me in like final fantasy X). Final Fantasy X is a masterpiece. If you haven't played it, I HIGHLY recommend this game. If you have played it, play it again. It is a damn good game.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 9:57:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2010 10:01:00 AM PDT
H.Le says:
Thanks for the review. There are quite a few fans out there who share your thought that FFX is the last true FF game in the series. Although I have not played 1 -6, I did play from 7 - 13. And after playing FFXIII, I have to agree with the notion that FFX is indeed the last true FF - but I am still hoping I will be wrong in the future.

If you have not played Lost Odyssey, I highly recommend that game. In more way than one, it really is a FF game without the name - and one of the best.

PS. I grew up in Fairfax County and have not been to the East Coast in 20 years. I really miss it sometimes - especially in the Fall season...

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 6:02:48 PM PST
I agree.This is the game that got me started on the FF series.Thanks to this game,I know of the awesome FF games.I already have FF1,FF10,FF10-2,FF Dissidia,FF7 Crysis Core,and FF12,though my 12 disk is really scratched so Ill probably need to buy another one.Im later planning on getting FF2,3,4,FF7 Dirge of Cerebus,(since I dont have a PS1 memory card to save FF7 on,but once I do ill get the rest of the FF`s)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 11:32:00 PM PDT
I don't know about the last "true" Final Fantasy entry. That seems a bit too far fetched for me to believe, and it sounds like a complete fanboy who is stuck in the old times wrote it. I totally respect and understand your opinion, however I feel as though that statement is really just kind of over the top. Final Fantasy is what Square wants it to be, whether we like it or not. They change the game a little more with every iteration of it. But after 10 they made bigger changes, changes that people thought were too big to have at once. Thus, the games started to be rejected. Point is that there isn't really such a thing as "true" Final Fantasy, except for the first.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›