5.0 out of 5 stars Benchmark! Paradise - the best of the best, October 24, 2008
This review is from: Paradise (Mass Market Paperback)
Paradise remains my favorite contemporary romance novel. In fact, it transcend the normal romance novel. JM does a fantastic job with developing a very complex, sincere, beloved heroine. As much as I appreciate Meredith, it really is Matt Farrell, our wonderful hero, who makes this love story so memorable, remarkable, and stunning. I've read it over 5 times and after each reading, you would think that I would like it a little bit less but the opposite has happened. I continue to find new things that I like about the book, new lines that I adore, and new things about their love that fascinate me. It really has stood the test of time and is a very solid romantic novel.
It is by far my favorite Judith McNaught book and I compare all romance novel to this one. Some may find the merchandise/retail part boring but it only makes the novel more interesting to me.

SPOILER:

The book has one key flaw but if you can overlook it, I think you will like it. Many people question how it is possible to fall in love after one brief encounter. How could Meredith fall in love with Matt Farrell after the July 4th party at the country club.

I think that's a very justifiable flaw or criticism of Paradise but if you read the entire book, it's not about the first moment they meet. Yes, it's a very special moment but they develop into something more while Meredith and Matt spend time together at the Farrell's simple home in Indiana.

What makes the novel beautiful is how these two fall in love the 2nd time around. There are some outrageous things. For one, Matt's proposition. It might seem a bit far fetched.

Regardless, I love the dialogue between Meredith and Matt. Who could resist when he says, I'll hand you paradise on a platter....(or something to that effective!). Anyway, there's so many great scenes in the novel. JM takes you on a highs and lows and highs again. It's filled with wonderful and interesting characters. It's not the most perfect of books, but it's absolutely romantic and worth reading over and over again. I have one copy but I think I will need to get another one since I've read it so much that my paperback isn't in such great shape.

Enjoy - you will love this book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]