3.0 out of 5 stars More Advanced Than You May Want, September 22, 2010
This review is from: Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach (Paperback)
I have been running for two years and have read a few books about running, primarily beginner running books. This book does offer some good advice about training as a whole. But I think it is more geared to the serious and / or competitive runner rather than just the casual runner. For the record I typically run 5k races in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, and my times are generally in the 25-27 minute range.

The approach offered as a whole will help me. I really feel like I'm "training" now rather than going out for a run. Varying the running distances, speeds, and hill / strength training has already boosted my performance after three weeks.

But I just found the whole "adaptive" running thing, that is to run how you feel, to be impracticle. I think it may be good advice for a college athlete or someone with a lot of time on their hands. But if you're a working professional like me, you have about 45 minutes a day to work with. I've got to get certain workouts in on certain days. Also, I'm more of a routined person. I like to do certain things on certain days.

I just found the overall tone of this book to be much more geared toward the true running junkie, the ones who run the 5k in 16 minutes, versus the casually competitive runners like myself. Some of the training recommendations are great, I just didn't have a use for about 3/4's of this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2013 11:32:23 AM PDT
If you're content to continue to run as you do at the moment, then why buy any book that is intended to help you to train to run faster? On the other hand, if you do want to run faster, it's not a matter of finding the right self-help book that will give you a program that will fit into the limited time or effort you are able or willing to allot it.

You need to be realistic. Unless you are genetically gifted, running fast times requires a lot of hard training. Unless you want to devote a lot more time and effort than you are able or willing to do, you just need to accept that running 5k races in the 25 to 27 minute range may well be about as good as it gets for someone of your ability. And, just to really cheer you up, as you get older, you can look forward to your very slow times getting even slower.

So, don't blame this book (or any other) or imagine that there's a short cut to running a lot faster than you are at the moment. For those of us who decide (or at least decided when we were young) we are going to try to run as fast as we can, while we can (for life is but short), it means that everything else - apart from work, sleep and eating - has to go by the wayside. And even then we're still struggling to place in a lowly club race, even in our age group. Running fast and far is hard. No book can make up for that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›