2.0 out of 5 stars More Trouble Than it's Worth, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Livescribe 4 GB Echo Smartpen (Personal Computers)
All in all, it's OK when it works. But the website, on which customer support hinges, is terrible and so maddening to use that it colors my perception of the product. It started when I bought the thing and had some questions. The website is pretty and full of information, but it is a landfill that nobody from Livescribe has ever used pretending to be a customer, I'm sure of that. Try to answer the simplest question. I can just picture a company of three geeks and a marketer: "Everyone has a website, we've got to have a website. We'll put FAQs on it, that way we won't need to waste money on a Help Desk."

Today my ink cartridge quit in the middle of note taking. My first. How to change it? Go to the website, find a forum question. Answer: Start up the Livescribe desktop software and read the Help page. Doing that takes you BACK to the website where one is instructed to... Grab the cartridge, pull it out and stick the new one in. Why not just say that in the first place??? That is so typical of Livescribe customer support.

Then, several pages of notes later, I upload the notes and they look like I never lifted the pen from the paper. Back to the website where I find that these things might happen -- So, twist the cartridge 90 degrees, make sure it isn't bent.... Why not say that back on the first page? Or the Help screen??? An hour of notes -- useless.

Earlier this year I went for a long time waiting for them to get their software caught up with some bug or other. Meanwhile my pen was sitting with notes on it that I couldn't get off. Try troubleshooting that.

So today I went to leave a comment on the website and was told I have never registered -- it doesn't recognize my email address. Bull. And the spam I get begging me to give their pen as Christmas gifts somehow knows my email address. So, I leave my comment here: I'm about ready to put this thing away, simply because of the customer service.

[Add comment]