2.0 out of 5 stars Don't recommend - Found a better solution, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port and 4-Port Network Adapter Set (PLSK400) (Personal Computers)
I wanted a wired solution to various points in my house to get the full bandwidth of my cable modem, which can get > 50 Mbps download speed with a direct Ethernet cable connection to my router. The initial reviews I read about these devices sounded fairly good, so I purchased a few of them. My initial tests were ok. I could get 20-30 Mbps download speed, which was not the full bandwidth of my cable modem, but still slightly better than my WiFi connection speed. However, after using these powerline adapters for a period of a few weeks, I would notice that I would regularly (couple of times per hour) lose my Internet connection for 10-15 seconds while using Skype voice calls. I would also sometimes lose my connection while streaming Amazon video to my TV. I knew that these devices were the problem, because this never happened with WiFi.

I called Cisco/Linksys to try to troubleshoot the problem. Their only solution was to propose to send me a new device. But I had already purchased 6 of these and could reproduce the problem with any of them, so getting yet another device from Cisco was not going to solve my problem.

Luckily, I did some more research and found the Actiontec Ethernet to Coax adapters on Amazon. These devices work great. I can get a full 50 Mbps download speed (same as a direct connection to my router), and I never lose my Internet connection. Perhaps the Linksys powerline adapters are as good as it gets for powerline technology, but the Ethernet to Coax adapter is just a better solution (much faster speeds and more reliable connection). I have returned all of the powerline adapters to Amazon and am now very happy with the Actiontec adapters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2013 10:53:54 PM PST
Jaykayess says:
It seems to me that for using an Ethernet to Coax adapter, you would need to install new coax cable (if you don't already have it). Is this correct? Or does the adapter work off your existing electric powerline wiring?

Would appreciate your explanation. Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 6:24:16 AM PST
The Ethernet to Coax adapter transmits the signal over coax cable, not electric powerlines. So if you do not have existing coax cable installed in your house, then, yes, you would have to install that first before using the Ethernet to Coax adapter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 7:00:15 AM PST
Jaykayess says:
Thanks Perry.

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 10:26:58 AM PST
CM says:
I am the reviewer who posted "the most helpful favorable review". For whatever it is worth, my ISP is AT&T U-verse at 12Mbps so I cannot comment regarding higher download throughputs. However, in my own installation I never lose Internet connection or streaming capability with Netflix or other providers - it is all very stable. As I mentioned in my original review, I have a newer house (built in 2009) with good CAT5 Ethernet and power lines throughout and that probably helps. Also as I mentioned, Linksys is aware of some difficulties across different breakers and/or subpanels - they state that they work in about 90% of the installations. In my home I have no problems whatsoever across breakers or subpanels but the newer wiring may be a factor. As this reviewer stated, if these units do not work as desired they can be returned to Amazon. If one has good RG6 accessible throughout, an Ethernet through cable may indeed be a better solution. I have good RG6 but of course I have at most one RG6 outlet per room whereas I have multiple power outlets in every room thus advantage to Ethernet over power lines if they work in your installation.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›