4.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Revue - fun toy, hope there's more to come...., January 12, 2012
I received this as a gift for Christmas from my wife.....well, actually what I received was the Roku XD and we returned it. I hadn't decided which direction we were going with trying out a streaming device and the Roku was easily returned while we did a little more research. Our choices ran the full spectrum from Apple TV to the Western Digital TV Live to the Roku. I had only considered the Google TV devices when a refurbed Sony Blu-Ray with G-TV tickled my fancy because of the price but the overwhelmingly iffy reviews kept me away from that one. So how'd I choose? A pretty thorough mix of science, efficiency and emotion:

Apple TV - both friends and family owns these and we have plenty of "iDevices" around the house, but from everything I've read, seen, watched you REALLY need to be integrated into the "i" lifestyle to make this worthwhile. Around the house we stream Pandora as much or more than listen to our iTunes music. For us, not quite ready for Apple TV.

Roku - honestly, with some of the options that the next two devices offered, the Roku boxes just struck me a limited for what they could do. Remember, we actually bought one, but returned it.

WD TV LIVE - Actually, I was 99% sold on this device when the refurbed Logitech Revue came up in a search the week after Christmas. I liked the options for I/O, I liked the support for local media and the "apps" available. There is a big part of me that still wonders if I made the right choice.

Logitech Revue with Google TV - WINNER!!! Here's why.....

Price - How could we beat $79 for ALL of the functionality, at least on paper, of the WD TV Live, Logitech's name (I love their devices) and Google (more to come on those....).

Functionality - So while researching that week after Christmas on this exact deal I stumbled across a link to Dish Network, our TV service provider. Appears that for a measly $4/mo I can integrate this unit directly with my Dish account and receiver and control all functions of my satellite. Seemed pretty cool I thought, especially since I already knew this was going to be a new "toy" more than anything.

Apps - had Pandora, Netflix (w/HD which our current process of watching through the Nintendo Wii doesn't offer), bunch of TV and Movie apps, etc, etc. At least as good as the WD unit if not better with the Android OS and Marketplace with the Honeycomb update.

Set-up - physically, this couldn't have been easier. Plugging the unit in took all of about 5 minutes, the included HDMI was a pleasant surprise and it found and is utilizing my wireless network seemingly better than any WiFi device in my house (Netflix streaming has been a HUGE improvement over the Wii).

Remote - there's good and bad with this. The good is the thing works insanely good. It controls the TV, satellite and Google box like it was made for all of them. The bad part is some of the functions have become "two-handed" which is a little annoying (or maybe REALLY annoying) but I am determined to make this work as I am determined to get our money's worth out of this unit.

The Rest - OK, so overall I REALLY like this device and a lot of the stuff it does. However, my research didn't go quite far enough the day we hit "Confirm" on our order. It was later that afternoon that I finally caught up with the reports of Logitech killing this device and Google TV questioning whether they were staying in the marketplace. My wife and I discussed it later and decided to stick with our decision on a more "irrational" basis that if we had bought it a couple weeks earlier instead of the Roku we wouldn't have even questioned the decision. I am a little disappointed in some of the functionality of the apps and Android. I understand it is a mobile operating system but we are running into minor annoyances with certain device drivers, downloadable content, etc working with the browser. One of my MAJOR annoyances had been with Dish and Blockbuster. One of my decision factors for getting this device was the purported (by Dish) integration with their network. However, after a VERY long an difficult online help-desk chat with their Support team I was finally able to integrate the remote with our receiver only to find that the only added functionality was really the "Search" function within the Dish content.....hmm, I may be dropping the $4/mo and go back to two remotes, still deciding on that. Also, we found that we couldn't stream our Blockbuster Online movies because of issues between the Blockbuster streaming service and the browser - MAJOR bummer there. I am REALLY hoping that both Google and Dish supply some future updates that fix some of the limitations we've found. Until that point though, I do enjoy the device and we've done a couple things while sitting on the couch that had earlier been reserved for everyone huddled around the laptop in the kitchen - namely catch my daughters up on some of the better performances from NBC's "The Sing Off" on YouTube...in HD (a guilty pleasure in our household).

To sum it up, I think we are happy with our choice, especially for the money - which CANNOT be discounted in this decision. I really think I will find more uses and enjoyment out of our new toy as we get more chance to use it. I do hope it continues to be support, at least by Google, in the future.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]