5.0 out of 5 stars WILL YOU JOIN THE SPARTAN ARMY?, March 16, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: God of War III - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
If you don't then you will be missing out on, easily, one of GREATEST games of all time! I thought I was blown away by Uncharted 2. I was but I am even more so with God Of War 3. Unbelievably, God Of War 3 floored me from the 30 minute opening sequence to the mind blowing finale. How did Sony Santa Monica pull this off? The SCALE of this game will boggle the mind and make your jaw hit the floor! When I first played the demo some 3 months ago I was in awe. After having played through every luscious drop of GOW 3 I am spellbound beyond belief. If I could only use one word to describe this game: EPIC! Remember the old home arcade system Neo Geo and SNK's motto for it "Bigger, Badder, Better"? This applies to GOW 3 in spades.

Upon first sight of GOW 3 you'll notice that the high def graphics are probably the best, on any system anywhere, computer gaming rigs included. Sony really tapped into the "true" power of the PS3 with this one. Some of the things I saw in this game is making me think it was all a dream because it just isn't possible in games, right? Wrong. Seeing the gigantic titans filling up the whole screen in perfect graphical splendor, on a 50 in. plasma, all the while Kratos is scaling it, and fighting a boss(Poseidon) on it, is completely amazing. Gamers, this is what we live for! The detail of not just the titans, the environments, and the Ghost of Sparta himself, but the minor enemies, such as the skeleton warriors, is astonishing. And seeing 15 or so of these skeleton warriors pile on Kratos and then seeing him violently power them off is unbelievably cool and empowering. It almost makes you feel like a god! The sheer power you feel controlling Kratos and watching him annihilate everything in his path in the name of vengeance will cast a spell over you.

The combat control is much the same as before, if not better. In other words, the control is flawless and if ain't broke don't fix it philosphy applies here. There are timed button presses for the boss battles(quick timed events). And bosses there will be. Some of them are absolutely enormous, such as Hades. Dealing death to the bosses is quite a sight. Impale them. Check! Rip off body parts. Check! Let blood and guts flow like a river. Check! This is one of the goriest and most violently graphic games I've seen. EVER! Kratos can still have sex in GOW 3! Always a welcome addition. Even one scene with a goddess! I think what might impress me most besides the scale of the game, is the number of enemies that can be on screen at one time. At times, there had to be close to 50 or more on screen. That is incredible considering it's running at 60 FPS the entire time with no slowdown. All of that even when there are cyclopses and minotaurs on the same screen, along with a titan in the background. Ridiculously amazing!

The story, sadly, was the most disappointing part of the game. It seemed a bit convoluted; like too much was going on with too many different characters. The story is not bad mind you and it`s easy to follow, it just feels like it's taking a major backseat to everything else. Still, it takes nothing away from the greatness of GOW 3. The puzzles in the game are challenging without being overly so and some of them very clever and ingenious. More than a few I was a bit stumped by. All in all it took me about 10 to 12 hours to roll through this masterpiece. I don't really remember how long it took me to go through each of the first two, so I can't compare length. While a bit short, for my taste, it was still one hell of a magnificent ride! The camera still can't be controlled by the player, but that has never bothered me and I think it was put to even better use this time around. It seems the angles and various shots are Hollywoodesque, if that makes any sense.

Weapons! The Cestus easily steals the show of the several new ones that you'll earn. The Cestus is completely WICKED! The combo moves are spectacular and more so than ever before and you can now swap weapons on the D-pad in the middle of one. When surrounded by a bunch of baddies and knowing you have different button options to pound the pulp out of them is especially gratifying. The use of the bow and arrow is easy and very useful. Very cool shooting the harpies with it and grabbing on to them to further your progress across chasms or to the top of places well out of your reach. I like the fact that now the bow quickly recharges after each use. I love being able to pick up enemies and charge with them, using them as a battering ram on other baddies. Completely awesome! Controlling the cyclops is amazing as well; swinging him around and pulping your enemies is gleefully sadistic. It must be experienced! You level up your health and magic much the same way as the two previous GOW's via feathers, stones, and now, minotaur horns.

The music is excellent! But hasn't the music always been excellent in the series? The voice acting IMHO is top notch. Seems even better than before. The action and pace of the game are relentless. Something new(and amazing) and unique is always happening to keep you glued to the screen; even if it happens only once. There is so much more I could go on talking about with this stunning, amazing, and breathtaking game known as God Of War 3, but I`d be here for a while and then you`d be bored;)

I don't care what genre of games you like or whether or not you even like GOW 3 type games, this is a game that absolutely MUST be experienced. I won't say this is my favorite game of all time, but it's right there at the top with Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, Metal Gear 4, and Resident Evil 4. I don't care if you have to get an extra job(gulp), rob a convenient store(gasp) or steal if off your friend(yeah!) you have got to get this SOON! I've been playing games for 30+ years(since the days of Colecovision) and I've never been this AMAZED by a game! There is so much diversity, so much to see, so much so tightly packed in such a spectacular game that it will make you wonder how they pulled it oof. Folks, the next generation of gaming has arrived and I am stunned, blown away, mesmerized and spellbound by what Sony Santa Monica created. My hat goes off to them for they are a TRULY talented team! Kudos of accolades go to Stig Asmussen for his brilliant direction of this game and for making it so much more than I thought possible.

This seems to be the end of this GOW saga and I hope we'll see more of Kratos in the future, because this is only a scratch on the video game surface of the great things the future could hold for the Ghost of Sparta. I am truly moved!

It's a 10/10 experience!

ARE YOU GOING TO JOIN THE SPARTAN ARMY NOW?

SIDE NOTE(or bottom note) - I'm not sure why this game was released earlier than it's scheduled March 16th release date. I had originally preordered GOW 3 on Amazon, but after I found I could get it nearly a week earlier on eBay I cancelled my Amazon pre-order. Not that I'm complaining about any of that. The same thing happened with Modern Warfare 2. I'd like to know how people are getting these games so early. The guy I bought my copy from on eBay said he'd had his copies since March 6th,. He wouldn't elaborate as to where he got them. I received mine on March 11th. I had to pay and arm and a leg for it, but it was worth every dime.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 65 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2010 3:34:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 8:56:13 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 3:14:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2010 3:15:01 AM PDT
Ralvek says:
The review was good. I just don't get why others have to come in here and personally attack the reviewer, for his opinion of the game? Not everyone has the same taste in genre, if you are going to counter with a bad review, do so in a way where you will be taken seriously. To label the ones that like GOW3 as toddlers makes your point quite worthless. I do not have the game, but have heard about it through my co-workers and friends. I am thinking of getting this game to add to my collection as well.

Thanks for a good review Travis.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2010 7:52:20 AM PDT

[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 8:56:14 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 12:02:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2010 12:09:11 AM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
I'll grant you this, you are right I don't enjoy the games like I used to , life happened, but the button mashing game phenominon I'll never understand. They can't make enough of them, they sell off the shelves. For the kids, sure I get it, but it's the adults who are the crazy fans I just don't understand how they find any of that type of game enjoyable. They are pretty games and creative, but the gameplay provides little challenge IMO even on the highest levels. The other thing that bugs is that the b mashers are so popular they are lining up other future b mashers in the game queues and taking the great DEV teams away from new creative projects.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 5:21:32 AM PDT
Jaren Davis says:
Sean, the funny thing is that you say life happened, yet you seem to be taking this more seriously than anyone else. You're determined to convince other people that games they like aren't worth liking. You are going out of your way to express you're dislike for something you say you don't care for.

It's very contradicting and telling. God of War isn't as complex or hard as Demon's Souls, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun, especially in an escapist sense (from the life you keep talking about). If anyone doesn't have a life, it seems to be you... How many forums are you going around trying to convince others that their games are bad?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 5:52:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 4, 2012 8:56:15 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2010 1:04:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2010 1:09:40 PM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
I just explained that J.Davis.

You have a hanger full of weapons of mass destruction, you hit button commands like Heavy Rain to take down big bosses. Maybe you guys just like easy games,I just don't find GOW games challenging, again even on the hardest levels. There's gotta be something I'm not seeing; I truly don't understand the button masher phenominon obviously.

Yes it irritates me that this game is getting GOTY love, that's why I participate, because I think it's a shame that this is what the industry has come to, button mashers.

Posted on Mar 25, 2010 10:28:12 PM PDT
D. Zhao says:
what 30-minute opening sequence? im 7 hours into the game.. and every time i play i get reminded of what you said--i still havent seen a movie lasting 30 minutes

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (835 customer reviews)

$29.99 $17.34