Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Learn more

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish the wicked WOULD rest!, August 29, 2009
This review is from: No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, Book 2) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is about a 3 1/2 star book. I'm disappointed because I loved the first one and had high hopes for this one. It started out great. Intense, lots of chemistry, the brooding, tortured, and ultra-sexy hero, etc. But somewhere along the way KC lost it! For me, the reason for this lay in her heroine. I couldn't like her! I really wanted to, but after pages and pages of over-the-top mean and cruel behavior, not to mention utter selfishness, I just couldn't get behind her at all! I kept expecting redemption at some point and I never really got it. Sebastion, on the other hand, was nothing but selfless. But the fact that he just kept taking her abuse and going back for more detracted from his over-all studliness. Frankly, he started seeming a little pathetic. There was a point where he got fed-up and he was going to try to be the only vampire to forsake his bride. I found myself cheering him on! I was so hoping he would get ruthless and cold and give her a taste of her own medicine and that would be the changing moment for her, but no. That went absolutely nowhere! So, like some of the other reviewers, I found the middle of the book very repetitive. I was easily able to put it down for extended periods of time. The end did pick-up and get exciting again, however, it was a bit rushed and easy. I've come to the conclusion that it's not the vampires that I don't like. It's the Valkyries! I really didn't care for them as secondary characters in Emmaline's story either. I liked Emmaline a lot! Being half vampire was an intriguing twist and she was very different from her aunts. But I'm just not impressed with the rest of the species in general. They seem to be generally unsupportive of each other. I expected Kaderin to have an ally in Myst, but even she advised against bringing a vampire to the coven. (It was okay for her, I guess, but nobody else!) Hadn't they already accepted Nikolai? (Albeit grudgingly.) I just wasn't buying that conflict. No, generally speaking, I find the Valkyries annoying. I know they are supposed to be funny with all their various quirks , but it just doesn't play that way for me. I feel like, if they truly love their sister, they'd be glad that she's found some happiness after 1000+ years of not feeling rather than giving her grief! Oh well! I'm just going to resign myself to the fact that the Valkyrie books probably won't be my favorites. There are other series out there like that too. In the mean time, I'm going to go on to the next. I love the Lykae, and Bowen in particular! And neither hero nor heroine is a Valkyrie. It could be a beautiful thing!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2009 8:32:11 AM PST
Lady Hecate says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2009 10:53:02 AM PST
krissy says:
So then I take it you're reading these books out of order? I haven't read dark desire after dusk yet. It's the next in line for me. You might try the third book (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it's about Bowen.) The heroine is a little -itchy, but not near as bad as Kaderin. I don't know why KC's heroines have to be so unlikable when the heros' are so yummy! Also you really have to read Dark Needs at Night's Edge (The Immortals After Dark, Book 4) It's about Conner Wroth (Crazy vampire) And a Ghost. How does that work, you ask? Read it and find out! It's pretty good, and has the least annoying heroine since A Hunger Like No Other.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 8:15:35 AM PST
Lady Hecate says:
I have found that if one reads some books out of order, it makes no never mind. The Southern Vampire series (Sookie Stackhouse) one should read in order as well as the J. R. Ward books. However, after getting past book 4 of Ward's book, I stopped reading as Ward seems to be so busy setting up for the next book, that the two main characters in the book one is reading gets lost. As far as Cole's heros go, they seem to have lost that masculine flare that was so powerful in A Hunger Like No Other. I do not read books because they are in a series and have to follow the series, I first have to like what the book is about before I purchase the next book in that series. Cole has not done that wherein Gena Showalter, Christine Feehan, and Lara Adrian have. However, I am giving Cole one last chance and am reading Dark Needs at Night's Edge. So far Neomi does not seem so annoying. I do not hang out with annoying/-itchy females....why would I want to read about them, and why does Cole persist in writing about them I wonder?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2009 10:21:04 AM PST
krissy says:
I think to some authors a *itchy woman is a strong woman. I happen to think a woman can be feminine and nice and still be amazingly strong. Look at Desari, Syndil, etc. I do tend to like a strong heroine who still acts like a woman. Feehan manages this pretty well, as does Lara Adrian and Sherrilyn Kenyon. Although, in all of these series, there were characters here and there that I didn't like, but that's to be expected. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the discussion. Happy reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2011 10:56:17 AM PDT
Not Telling says:
I agree. I hate when the heroine is described as strong and brave, but really she's just a b*tch. I didn't like Kaderin either, and I wanted to SOOOO bad! But I just couldn't understand her rudeness. The poor vampire who cursed his change and his life was so honest and sweet, and did not deserve such a cold-hearted woman. I thought I would love this book, love these characters, but I cannot stand her. I kept waiting for her to change or something, but no go.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 12:20:20 PM PDT
If I didn't feel anything 1000 years and suddenly did I might be a little b***** too. Do some you expect her to suddenly be miss sunshine? I thought she did well Dealing with all those feelings appearing and with sebastian. I thought he showed patience. What you expect Listen to attack her or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:09:41 PM PST
Lisa Shea says:
It would be one thing if her b*** was part of a character arc which was then resolved. It wasn't. It simply was the way she was and always would be, apparently, and we were supposed to find this delightful because she was a "strong woman" - as if these two were the only pairing possible.

Posted on Jan 3, 2016 8:27:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2016 8:34:27 AM PST
Cj says:
Interesting review. I don't know how anyone could not love Nix. I get holding Regin at arms length, but the other Valkyries can be crazy and funny as hell sometimes. I guess it is that odd 'quirk' about them that I love so much. However, I don't get your take on them not being there for each other. In every book regarding them, they always come to the rescue/aid of their sisters... to the point of death to anyone who harms them. And Myst did, in the end, tell Kaderin's sisters exactly what you said they should feel. Happiness that Kaderin found love after all those centuries of coldness. But after Centuries of hating and killing Vampires, it will probably take a while for all of the Valkyries to come around to accepting the 'good guy' Forbearer Vamps.
Your point about stretching Sebastian to be the first Vampire to forsake his bride is well taken. I, too, was rooting for Sebastian (one of my favorite heroes of the IAD series) in this area also, but once these immortals find their mates, it is impossible to distance themselves from her. You know that whole MINE MINE MINE!!! issue. Perhaps the imbalance of feelings between fated mate/vampire is so extreme that it magnifies the aloofness of the fated mate that much more.
And I guess I can understand Kaderin's intensity. She was single minded in winning the Hie. Sebastian was in the way... until he wasn't.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›