4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, screen is not what you think, almost too thin, September 12, 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 64 GB Black (4th Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I've been using an old Iphone 2.5g as my "ipod touch" for about the last year or so. I switched to Sprint for the cheaper rates so no more iphone coverage. Well, since the old phone is not compatible with IOS4.0 and since this new device is seemed truly "next-generation," I decided to take the plunge. I hate the lack of space on my old iphone (8Gb) so I splurged for the 64. Here's a few things I noticed right out of the gate:

1) The screen resolution is phenomenal. The lighting sucks. It has a nasty angle of view. If you look dead at the center of the screen with a black screen "on," you can see slight brightness variances from corner to corner. Not terrible, but I had expected better. After researching it a bit, this is apparently because Apple "cheaped-out" and did not include the IPS style of lighting that they used on the Iphone 4. Oh well, still a great screen though.

2) Size: The device is amazingly thin. This is both good and bad. The buttons are kind of hard to mash as they are located on the heavily beveled edges of the device. It's not bad, but, you do need to have a good grip on the device when screwing around with volume or power. It is super light and fits well in my hand though. But, as weird as it seems, i do hate how the apple logo feels under my finger. Feels like I have super glue or something on my finger tips... strange

3) Speed: The speed of the device is great. This is comparing it directly to my old iPhone though. It blows it out of the water. I don't have to really wait on anything. I do wish the browser was better though. On my old phone, when I'd scroll too fast on a large page, i'd get the checkerboard effect. I hoped this was no longer an issue with the new A4 chip. Again, after researching it, I found that the iPod touch has half the RAM of the new iPhone 4. Guess that would explain it.

4) Camera: The camera is crap. It's low res and has poor low light performance. It's cool for impressing Grandma with the Face Time app, but that's about it. Don't leave home without a good cell phone camera (or a Nikon/Canon!)

5) Minor quibbles: I miss my vibrate/loudness switch. Sucks not being able to instantly mute the device when i want it quiet. I also wish the speaker were more full. I am glad that Apple included a speaker at least, but, for it to be useful as a Face Time device for Grandma, the speaker really needs to be made louder/fuller.

in a nutshell, it's a great device, but it is the Kmart special of the new Iphone 4 in pretty much every way. Why did I give it 4 stars when I'm so harsh on it? Because, no other device even comes close. Apple has managed to make the Ipod Touch feel magic in every way.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2010 6:45:40 AM PDT
Asas says:
Hey amazon tells me the product will take 1-3 weeks....how much time did your shipment take?

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 6:46:24 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 8:31:11 AM PDT
I ordered on Sep 10, and it still hasn't shipped

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 9:58:14 AM PDT
Asas says:
i ordered today, so i think it will take a pretty long time....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 1:50:58 PM PDT
H. B. MOORE says:
Yeah I ordered it on the 6th and it hasn't shipped!

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 3:18:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 13, 2010 8:42:09 PM PDT
D. Stewart says:
purchased the 32gig through Apple directly today (9/13) online and got free engraving and free shipping. ships in 3 to 5 days and est. delivery is the 17th (this friday) - 23rd. I can't wait for amazon's 1 to 3 weeks to ship despite the no tax and option for prime membership perk (free shipping) to save $$$. Otherwise the best buy around doesn't have them nor does my local apple store.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 4:21:00 PM PDT
Ordered mine on the 4th and it still hasn't shipped :(

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 6:54:34 PM PDT
TomK1 says:
We brought a 1st generation Touch to the Apple store to compare it against the current generation and found that the difference in thickness was about 1/16" between the two. So while the 4th generation is thinner, you can't tell it by looking or holding it alone.

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 7:05:52 PM PDT
JaSoN says:
I gave up and got it from the Apple store in Augusta, GA. I couldn't find anything bigger than the 8GB locally and Amazon was freaking me out with the long shipping delays.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 12:20:57 PM PDT
I'm hoping someone can answer this for me. I've used MP3 players only for many years and all my music is on WMP. I decided I wanted to give the iPod Touch a try.
Can someone tell me if I d/l the iTunes software, will it automcatically convert all the music I have in MP3 and WMA into playable files for the Touch? Will it do it automatically or will I have to start it somehow? One more thing, will all the music in my WMP, still be left in MP3 and WMA format when I want to d/l it into a MP3 player?
I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›