4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Wagan IN9738-5 12-Volt Heated Seat Cushion (Automotive)
This is my third Wagan seat-heater, and I'm hoping for improvement. The first was [...] which worked but was flimsy and fell apart quickly, within five months. Then I bought [...] which had a better design in terms of durability of material, but still flimsy straps. BUT - it only lasted me one season, and was completely dead (light came on when plugged in but never warmed up at all) this fall after closet storage for the summer. I just bought this one [...] a week or so ago. It seems to have durable material and the straps to hold it to the seat are much thicker/stronger, although still not perfect, and this one has a 3-way switch. It is keeping my rear warm (gets hot fast, and hotter than factory-car seat kind), but we'll see about the durability. Given my previous experience with Wagan, I'm only expecting one season. I looked, and of course these only have a one-year warranty. I will definitely be checking if it works early next fall. Despite that, even if I have to keep buying a new one every winter, it's worth $20 to keep my butt warm; it gets into the negatives here in central IL!

___________________
Update March 2011
___________________

Still going strong! No further issues noted.

____________________
Update November 2011
____________________

Well, I just pulled it out of closet storage - and IT STILL WORKS!!!! Yay! Heats up quick, no concerns.
This one's a winner!

________________________
Update December 19, 2011
________________________
Okay, well it finally died. Another one that lasts only about a year. But, "bang for buck", $20 is still worth a toasty bum, so I'm going to order a new one. Yes, I know I could probably argue with the company since technically the one-year warranty should be extended since I purchased with a credit card, but I'm just too darn lazy to do it, when I can have Amazon deliver me a new one in two days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2010 1:29:25 PM PST
Susan Kay says:
Ha! Exactly what I was thinking. If it works all winter that's worth the purchase. I'm only afraid that if I get this for one family member they'll all want one. And there are a LOT of them!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 10:50:42 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 15, 2010 10:50:57 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 10:53:52 AM PST
Crispy says:
Your experience is exactly mine. They work great for 1 season, then nothing more. But at $25 or so, they're worth it for the season. Hopefully this one with "enhanced durability" will get us 2 seasons!

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 9:19:47 AM PST
Phantomracer says:
Did you contact wagan about your issues? I would be surprised if they didn't help you if it was just outside of the warranty.

Also, does your credit card offer warranty extension? Amex and many others do. I know it is a low cost item, but still burns me when a product fails.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 7:59:44 AM PST
Jackie says:
You know, I just noticed something: I had linked in to two other Wagan seat heaters that I had tried previously. Just recently, Amazon deleted those links. So, if you are comparing seat heaters, I did review two other Wagan models as well - you can find those reviews under the products or in my reviews. Hope it helps. This one is definitely the best of the three.
Cheers~
j

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 11:27:50 AM PST
acp says:
great review and thank's for the update.

Can you tell me where the heat points are? Is it just your butt, or is there heat all over the mat?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 3:37:56 PM PST
All over the mat
j

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:32:18 AM PST
Matthew Dyer says:
Question: When I plug this into the labelled 12V power supply port the metal probe at the end gets warm but not hot. When I plug this into the cigarette lighter port (which is right next to the 12V power supply port) the metal probe at the end gets extremely hot, hot enough to burn skin. It gets this hot even after 6 or 7 minutes use.

Should this only go into the 12V power supply port? The literature says that it can go into either. What are your experiences?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 9:46:49 AM PST
Jackie says:
Sorry, I have no idea - I've only used it in one vehicle (cigarette lighter).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 9:45:22 AM PST
Devon says:
Perhaps repair is something simple, there could be a fuse inside the plug that goes into the cigarette lighter or something else easy to check for.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (440 customer reviews)

Out of stock