4.0 out of 5 stars Solid construction and good design but a few drawbacks, September 12, 2011
This review is from: HP TouchPad Custom Fit Case (Personal Computers)
I've been using this case for over two weeks now and feel like I've used it enough to give a critical review.

For starters let me describe my Touchpad (TP) usage as light to moderate. When I'm at home I use it on the couch or in bed.

Construction
The case feels soft yet durable in your hands. The folding cover hinge seems like it is thick enough to withstand some years of use provided your aren't abusing it. The part that the TP snaps into is a stiff, hardened plastic that snugly holds your TP - so snugly that I had to force it to snap in. The folding cover has a felt side that touches the TP glass and a non-slip silicone side. The felt is nice in that it can also wipe your screen when closed, however be sure that there are no abrasives caught in the felt. You will be really unhappy if set up your case on a table with something sandy (like salt or something) and unknowingly close the case.

Design
I like the overall design of the case. The way the TP snaps in is great, the case covers the power and volume buttons but using them is not an issue. The speakers are completely unobstructed and the headphone jack opening is wide enough to allow my angled plugs access. The micro-USB opening in the case seems perfectly designed for the charger that came with the TP which is bigger than most micro-USB housings I've ever seen.

The stand positions are great. There are high and low angle positions that seem to work naturally at a desk and in bed. It is really easy to switch between the two position, almost too easy (more on that in the "Drawbacks")

Drawbacks
The main drawback is that the cover flap is not secured when closed over your TP. This allows it to slide over on top of the screen and easily open enough to allow for a pen or something inside if you have it in a backpack or messenger bag.

The other annoyance is the way the positions can be changed too easily for me. Especially when in the high angle position. It can dislodge out of the high angle position and fall back to the low angle. I only have this issue when in bed, lying on my back with the TP resting on my chest so it's a limited problem that I can deal with. But if there were some way to secure it to each position and still easily switch/close the case then I would be really impressed.

Conclusion
I am very pleased with this case, especially for the price; at full price, I would be left wondering what exactly made it cost so much. I would recommend this case with the caveats that you should be wary where you place your TP.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]