5.0 out of 5 stars Hate auto racing movies? Not this one!, January 14, 2014
This review is from: Rush (Amazon Instant Video)
I almost avoided this film because I've seen so many terrible auto racing flicks. You probably know the ones, those with bare bones plots that seem designed only for stars yearning to drive fast cars on screen. While there are exceptions, most are yawn-worthy.

But director Ron Howard has managed to keep Rush exciting enough to merit its title. This character-driven tale of two men fighting for the 1976 Formula One championship is compelling. Actor Chris Hemsworth brings the sexy and charming racer James Hunt superbly to life - and Daniel Bruhl does equally well in evoking the darker persona of Nikk Lauda.

The result? A tense and suspenseful rivalry between guys with extremely different personalities. The turbulent (to put it mildly) relationship between the men was the prime reason I enjoyed this film so much. The shots of the race cars in action, dramatic as they were, simply wouldn't have done the trick for me.

But the racing shots are still very impressive, with views from inside drivers' helmets and just about every angle imaginable. And of course there is the roar of the cars and the screams of the fans to ramp up the excitement factor. The result is a film designed to please both those who love to watch race cars speeding around a track - and those who don't.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 29, 2014 5:57:39 AM PST
Hi K. -
Thanks for giving me two super reasons to watch this movie; First, it passes the K. Corn test with five stars and second, Ron Howard (one of my favorites) directs it. Could I get any better? I hardly think so.

Again, thank you for writing this review. Now I know I am going to like this movie that sooner or later I am going to have to watch being married to a Huge racing fan ... I generally don't like them either, but with this being more 'character-driven' it will be up my alley. I can't pass up a character study in most any venue!
Take Care,
Sheryl

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 7:55:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 29, 2014 7:56:23 AM PST
K. Corn says:
Sheryl- there are parts of Rush which my spouse and I decided stretched credibility, primarily some early sex scenes. But the movie still has so many strong points.

I'd love your take on an enigmatic and -in my opinion, amazingly wonderful- film called Best Offer (Watch While It's In Theaters). It surprised and entranced me, a combination of a psychological mystery, obsessive passion, and more.

I am still pondering the ending, one which moved me deeply but left others scratching their heads. I see the film as being more symbolic than literal, especially as it reaches its conclusion. It left me thinking deeply about mortality, how we perceive ourselves and others, and much more. Geoffrey Rush plays an enigmatic and tightly controlled man superbly. I won't be reviewing the film unless I feel I've grasped more of its essence.

Posted on Jan 30, 2014 10:03:08 AM PST
Hello K. -
This "Best Offer" movie looks enticing just from the little bit I did read about ... I am going to view this probably tomorrow night, I am so anxious about this one - looks great to me and the cast, Wow! Hey, thank you for the heads up on these great movies that I would not have known about, this one in particular!
Sheryl
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (882 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist