2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy tech., October 10, 2012
This review is from: iRobot Roomba 650 Vacuum Cleaning Robot for Pets (Misc.)
I bought the robot to wander around my half-finished basement and then go through the doorway to clean the unfinished part of the basement. I love the robot but I am getting "error 10, spin Roomba's wheels to clean them" too much. What's the point of the robot scheduling if I have to go "rescue" it every other time. I called iRobot and they said it's a safety feature, which if the room is too empty prevents the robot from wandering off (presumably to enslave the human race if it gets out???). I was told to "put more stuff" in the room to avoid this (which I did and which did seem to help - but I'm still getting the error once in a while. Do I need to keep adding clutter??).

If wandering off is the cause, why does it tell me to clean the unit... Today I found it against the wall with an error 10. So if the error comes up because the Roomba doesn't hit a wall for a set period of time, it certainly should not be leaning up against a wall with this error.

I will be calling iRobot again to discuss this. There is no reason to have a schedule-able robot if I have to babysit it.

If iRobot can get this error sorted, I would give this product four stars because dang it's cool to see it take off out of its dock and wander around vacuuming and then return to its dock to recharge. It's just cool to know a robot is downstairs cleaning (and potentially scaring away any pests that try to invade) while I'm relaxing.

UPDATE: 12/21/2013. Paying more for the scheduling ability for me was a waste of money. The unit requires too much babysitting in a nearly empty rectangular basement. Too many times it gets stuck by driving up on the post of my weight racks but most importantly, a lot of times it's just sitting there up against a wall or in the middle of the room with that stupid error 10 to spin the side wheels.

As of Roomba 650, I feel the technology is not where it needs to be. I don't buy into the whole "roam randomly" cop-out / excuse for lazy design and programming. I'd rather have a unit that can see with sensors and size up a room and then clean it in an orderly fashion. Then spots wouldn't be missed. I'm lowering my review to two stars because it's not doing what I paid so much money for it to do: Vacuum on a schedule without babysitting every day. Simply navigating an extremely simple basement layout. I would not buy this again until my design recommendations are implemented.

[Add comment]