4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, sounds good, slightly under-whemling, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Jawbone JamBox (Grey Hex) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this product primarily to use as a speakerphone with my iPhone. I work from home a lot and using the built in speaker phone in the iPhone is a drag. As a speaker phone, the Jambox works great. I have it paired via Bluetooth (there is also a mini-RCA in) and the call quality is...good. Not great, just good. The microphone quality is good too, I gave a one hour talk during a conference call with the speaker about 1.5 feet from my face and everyone could hear me and I could hear them perfectly. From other reviews I have read about the Jambox, you have to be right in front of the speaker for it to pick up properly (which can be a good thing).

The controls are pretty slick, there are three buttons up top and a slider power switch on the side that glows to indicate status. You get audio feedback when pairing or to get battery information. The third button up top is programable as are the audio feedback voices.

Now for the under-whemling part...Music. For all the hot air on Jawbone's web site about the audio quality of this box, you'd think you could replace your home stereo. I didn't think that but I had high hopes for the music quality. It sounds good but there is obviously very little to no stereo separation. Also, I'm a little disappointed with the max volume and amount of bass. They advertise that this can get louder than a jet engine but I could never get the audio very loud on this thing, not that I want it that loud anyway...At it's max volume, the sound does not distort so that's a plus. The bass performance is pretty lacking considering the amount of marketing hype about this (but pretty good considering the size of this box). The speaker shakes like crazy (it will actually dance off your desk) during high bass audio but you don't really "hear" much of it.

I may update this review after a few weeks to give the speakers time to season.

Overall, I like this because my main purpose was for a speaker phone. It's pretty expensive but you pay for the design (it's compact, attractive and well put together).

UPDATE: 2/10

So I've had this for a few weeks now. I think I may have been a little harsh in my original review. The sound quality has either improved or it has grown on me. I find the sound quality for music very good (it's "warm" and full-bodied---is this coffee?). I'm very pleased with the sound on both music and phone. The directionality of the phone is still a bit odd, it almost seems like I have to be not only directly in front of the unit but in a sweet spot to get the best quality mic pick up.

Bluetooth reception is great, I take the unit into the bathroom so I can listen to music while I'm getting ready for work. The volume is not an issue, this unit gets plenty loud. I have since paired it to my iMac and the volume seems to be louder than when paired from the iPhone/iPad.

Bottom line, I'm still very happy with the unit and have upgraded my review from 3 to 4 stars. This unit is still very expensive but if you value sound quality, are OK with it's limitations and value design then this might be for you--again because you are paying a premium for the design/quality/name of the Jambox.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2011 9:10:45 AM PST
J. Paulsonn says:
Great review. I wish more reviews were like this. Well written, informative, even entertaining.

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 9:24:49 AM PDT
The Prufessa says:
have you ever laid the subwoofer side flat on the surface so the bass can resonate through whatever medium it is? the best things are wooden counter tops and wooden tables where the bass can flow through.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 7:53:14 AM PDT
RHS says:
Helpful review - thank you. I appreciated you discuss its performance as a speakerphone.

I am looking for the best bluetooth speaker with respect to how it performs as a speakerphone. Not only how it sounds to me, but just as important how good the microphone is for the party at the other end to hear me.

Every review naturally discusses how the Speakers sound for music, but their function as a speakerphone is usually glossed over.

The Braven is probably the high end of what I would pay. Between the Braven, Jambox, Monster, Logitech (and anyone else I missed), has anyone done a comparison on these speakers working as speakerphones ? Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›