2.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Good., July 27, 2010
This review is from: The Compound Effect (Perfect Paperback)
I'm embarrassed that I bought this book based on the other reviews. First note the book dimensions 7.3 x 5.3 x 0.7 inches. They made the book small to hide the lack of content. The first page has a place to add a name "This book is given to ________ because I care about you and your greater success". The last thing he writes on the last page is: "Write down five people you will give a copy of this book to" and then space for five names. Yes. it is that kind of book. In between the suggestions to buy more copies of the book is treacle borrowed from other "success" books. I don't think there is an original thought in the entire book. It all comes down to pay attention to what you are doing and make sure it furthers your goals. He didn't succeed in writing a very good book. Perhaps he will succeed in selling it. "Who Moved the Cheese" sold a lot of copies.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2010 6:06:17 PM PDT
Which original thought?

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 4:20:55 PM PDT
Thanks for pointing out the dimensions and also the sales plugs throughout the book. A blogger gave this a huge thumbs up and I was considering this book based on his review -- until I read yours!

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 4:26:33 PM PDT
Bob, after looking through the other reviews, your review stands out for a couple of other reasons. First, you _actually_bought_the_book_ at Amazon; I can be reasonably sure that your review is authentic, and not a product endorsement. Second, although you are not yet a prolific reviewer, you have reviewed more than just the one item. That distinguishes you from a fair number of others who have "reviewed" this book so far.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 4:42:02 PM PDT
Darren Hardy says:
Hi Bob.
Before I respond to your comments let me extend this offer - I will buy the book back from you. Email Maggie@DarrenHardy.com and she will give you an address and I will send you a check.

The entire purpose of the book is to distill the very basics; the core fundamentals of success into one easy to read book packed with real life examples drawn from my own path and the many insights pulled from my interviews of some of the greatest achievers in our time. As I quoted Jim Rohn in the introduction, "There are no new fundamentals. Truth is not new, it's old." Proclaiming to have "original thought" would be arrogant if not absurd. I agree with you, the objective was not to provide "original thought" or spin the idea of some great new "secret" or "scientific breakthrough". The objective was quite the opposite in fact.

The principles of success, happiness and achievement have been written thousands of times over thousands of years. Our challenge, especially in our current information overloaded society is not gaining new information and ideas. Our greatest challenge is trying to sort through all the sensational commercial marketing gimmickry to figure out what really matters. That is the purpose of this book, to simplify and demystify the truth, clear the clutter and bring focus to core basics of what it really takes to earn success.

Now it wouldn't make sense if the simple fundamentals were in a 1,000 page book would it? Yes, even the size of the book is a part of the message that the fundamentals of success are simpler than you thought. But I promise you this Bob, between the covers of that book rests hundreds of thousands of dollars in investment, tens of thousand of hours in practice and study, many thousands of failures and many thousands of victories to truly know, by experience, what really matters in producing positive outcomes in life. Everything else was left out of the book.

All the time and expense of that sorting, sifting, practice, proving, pain, headache and heartache was done for you... and you can buy the conclusion for a mere $18. Seems almost like an injustice. Which is why I am happy to buy the book back from you. I know how it can help someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 5:57:43 PM PDT
Jim Young says:
Amen.

Posted on Aug 29, 2010 1:57:18 PM PDT
"It all comes down to pay attention to what you are doing and make sure it furthers your goals. " Well-- although the reviewer didn't see much value in his own summary--that in itself is about 95% of the recipe for great success. Only about 1 out of a hundred actually Do it.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 8:51:22 AM PDT
Wow! While Bob is certainly entitled to his opinion, and with expressing it as he did here, the fact that #1 - Darren Hardy actually read and responded to his review is incredible; and he did so with elegance and grace. Then #2 - Bob did not have the graciousness or maybe the intestinal fortitude to respond back to Mr. Hardy speaks volumes to me. Not only will I buy the book and read it immediately but I will purchase multiple copies to pass out to my friends as I share this story.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 8:53:52 AM PDT
In fact, Mr. Hardy, if and when Bob sends his book back to you, please email me at slowtraincoming@comcast.net and I will buy his copy! That little book will be well-travelled by the time we are done with it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 3:15:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2011 3:16:47 PM PDT
Adriana says:
hey guys, if you want a book that distills everything in one book get "The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield, instead of this one

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 4:20:24 AM PST
Impressive. I was being swayed by the reviewer. Seeing the authors company respond says a lot. I going to give it a try.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (766 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1.91