5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Lucado touching on a Crucial Topic, August 30, 2012
This review is from: Grace: More Than We Deserve, Greater Than We Imagine (Hardcover)
In the Christian book industry, Max Lucado has been a common name on a pretty regular basis when it comes to new releases. Apparently he is not slowing down in writing more and more great books. In keeping with his library of already released works, he has just released his newest book entitled simply "Grace".

As I picked up this book today (being familiar with other writings by Max Lucado) I expected smooth lines, well-crafted stories, and a poetic flow. I expected bite-sized chapters and devotional thoughts. But what I did not expect was to be emotionally stirred and wrapped up in this book! I guess you could say that I set out to read this with more of an academic mindset and yet this one cuts to the heart!

In chapter after chapter, you are going to forget what those plans were that had been at the top of your day's list. Instead, you'll probably finding yourself saying, "Just one more chapter". That's what I did...and I just finished the book! If we are supposed to be captivated by this idea of grace, Lucado has done a great job in conveying that to his audience. In my opinion, I believe Lucado did a much better job in this book of weaving illustrations and creative recreations of biblical events without going overboard as I sometime believe he has done in other works.

Reading through the book, as you make it to chapter 8, you will be cheering alongside Max Lucado as he defines grace triumphantly in these words, "Grace is simply another word for God's tumbling, rumbling reservoir of strength and protection. It comes at us not occasionally or miserly but constantly and aggressively, wave upon wave" (p. 99). As you begin chapter 9, you'll probably find yourself holding back your emotions as I did (I won't spoil the story) as Max once again skillfully weaves a story of the grace of God through, of all things, a wedding dress. I'm sure it was dust in my eyes anyway, right?

In chapter 10, you'll find hope in the fact that God's grace extends to you an adoption invitation! You'll take a step further in understanding grace as you grasp this idea that God chose us even though He knew our entire story! He didn't buy the lemon car with all of the surprises down the road. Instead, Lucado points out that God offers us salvation even while we are still sinners (Rom. 5:8). Lucado warms our hearts as he reminds us that we are adopted.

Well I won't walk through the whole book for you. That kind of steals the fun out of reading it. Instead, let me encourage to go and get this one. While you might wait a month and see if it goes on sale at your local retailer, it would still be worth it at full price! This one is going to lift your heart and your smile!

Note: I was also able to pick up the companion study guide and DVD at a local bookstore. For those interested in that, the DVD is simply Max retelling the chapters. So you might want to skip purchasing the DVD and simply read it yourself and then work through the companion study guide.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]