3.0 out of 5 stars Not much new except re-enabling import feature, June 5, 2010
This review is from: Mastercook 11.0 (Software)
UPDATE DEC 12, 2011:

I have gone back to using MC 6, on a refurbed Lenovo laptop using Windows XP, as MC 11 crashed four times in one year. I lost several cookbooks during each event. MC seems to run better i.e. is stable on XP but not Win 7.

Also, there is no telephone or email customer support provided by the current software seller. Help is available snail mail only. This is a real minus as when you need help, you need help. On the up side MC 11 is relatively inexpensive and when it works it works! If you choose to use MC 11 I'd suggest performing regular back ups to an external media such as a flash drive (thumb drive) or CD.

I'm a longtime Mastercook user and I do love this program for ease of recipe input and preparing shopping lists. It's still my all time favorite recipe software programs followed by Mac Gourmet for the Mac.

That being written there is little new offered in this upgrade. Importing MC 9 recipes has been fixed. Previous versions of Mastercook lost this feature as you could only import recipes using the Import Assistant. You can now type in the five @ symbols and import recipes again. The addition of the talking instructions isn't much help as the "voice" reads one sentence at a time. If you are trying to cook using this feature I suspect your computer keyboard would get quite messy.

You can import previous cookbooks if you have them saved as MC 6 or 9 format. Anything before that does not seem to import into MC 11.

As always Mastercook features the ability to scale recipes, export grocery lists, develop meal plans and prepare shopping lists with ease. You can also track nutrition, what's in the pantry and food costs using Mastercook.

Highly recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 24, 2010 5:58:16 AM PDT
J. McCoy says:
Pemmouse, Your review was very helpful. I have Master Cook 6. which would be best to upgrade to, version 9 or 11? Have you thought of going with one of the other cook book software programs such as: Living cook book or Cookbook people?

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 9:37:33 PM PST
Misty says:
You don't import from previous versions. Instead you copy the cookbook files from the COLLECTION folders of the old version to the COLLECTION folder of the new version and then start up MasterCook and select REFRESH FILE LIST from the Tools menu. This will work much better!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2011 9:38:28 PM PST
Misty says:
Version 11 is the first version that works with Vista and Windows 7. It has cause a lot less problems for me than any of the older versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 12:55:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2011 1:00:25 PM PST
Misty I do agree MC 11 is the one to use for Win 7 which I stated in my review. I can not comment on Vista as I did not use that program.

As for copying the cookbooks, I could not figure this out so I went back to the old method which was to save the cookbooks directly into the program. You can also use the change the collection feature for existing cookbooks, if needed.

I do love MC 11 but there are no new improvements except the Win 7 functionality. You very well could run older versions of the MC software if you do not need the search engine. I use the search engine so this is an important improvement.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 3:24:11 PM PST
Misty says:
Use Windows to search for your cookbook files. They are the MC2/MCX files. In fact you don't even need to move them. I keep my cookbook files in an easy to access location on the computer. To tell MasterCook where to find them use the MANAGE COLLECTIONS command from the Tools menu. ADD that folder as a collection so MasterCook will know where to find your files.

There were two new features added to MasterCook 11. One is the talking directions accessed from the Recipe Display view. The directions are read to you when you use it. They also added the ability to export to iPhones and iPads and other 'smart phones' which is what many people have been requesting for quite some time now. I don't have an iPhone or iPad, so it doesn't benefit me. However, I know many other people do, so I'm a minority.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 9:51:32 PM PDT
WoodsyGirl says:
Misty, if you are still following this thread...have you tried running your old MC versions in Windows 7 compatibility mode?

I have MC6 and can't get my Windows 7 OS to read the startup.exe file, even in compatibility mode. With all the crappy reviews out for v11, do you think it would be worth my while to try using MC9 in the Windows compatibility mode? Or should I just cough up the $$ for v11?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2011 10:02:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2011 10:06:45 PM PDT
Misty says:
No, I don't have a use for the older versions so I haven't tried running them or installing them. I haven't had any problems running MasterCook 11 with Vista 32-bit or Win 7 64-bit. I have other older programs (games, actually) that I haven't been able to install or run on Vista or Win 7 though, so I'm familiar with the problem you speak of. MasterCook 11 hasn't been an issue though. It installed and runs great for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 12:59:36 PM PST
M. Shiffer says:
I have used Version 9 on Win 7 since it was released and have had no problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 1:04:14 PM PST
Misty says:
MasterCook 9 was never designed for Vista or Windows 7. Therefore, when you try to run the program Windows will prompt you each and every time if it's okay to run the program. Furthermore, Windows Vista and Windows 7 will move MasterCook's files to the hidden VirtualStore location making them disappear for the program. Version 11 is the first version designed for Vista & Windows 7, so it has none of those issues. MasterCook 11 works very well on my new Windows 7 computer too, much better than version 9 or less.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2011 3:00:38 PM PST
M. Shiffer says:
Not true at all for my install of Windows 7 Ultimate. MasterCook 9 comes up without any prompts at all and the recipe files are in the program files directory exactly where I expect them to be. I cannot speak to 11 because I haven't purchased it, but it sounds as if they have not enhanced the user interface or added any new functionality that would make me want to purchase it.

Anyone have any screenshots or know of what has been added between 9 and 11.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (153 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $11.99