4.0 out of 5 stars KINDLE DX July 2010 Edition, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Kindle DX, Free 3G, 9.7" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally (Electronics)
It's rare that I write reviews for anything that I buy. But I have to make an exception for this product. I have owned the Kindle 2 for about 18 months and I purchased a Kindle 2 for my wife. We both enjoy the user friendly layout of the controls on that device. As a software architect I had a problem with the quality of books as they were displayed on the Kindle 2 and decided to give the Kindle DX a shot at it. In just the last couple of months Amazon has release some updates to the underlying reader software that were said to improve on the issues of early adopters. Additionally, the July 2010 relase of the Charcoal colored Kindle DX is said to have sharper text. So I bought one.

Pros:
1) The text is definately sharper/clearer than on the Kindle 2.
2) The pictures/images are much clearer. (Don't confuse that with clear. Publishers control the quality)
3) Page turning feels faster, not just a little but much faster when compared to my Kindle 2
4) You can create Collections now. Think of this as being an organizer for your content. One book can be referenced by more than one collection.
5) You can password protect the device. I personally, don't store information on the device that requires protection of this nature. But if you read material on the device that you don't want someone else to see without knowing a password then this feature is for you.
6) As always you can annote the text of a book you are reading, but now when you save that note, you can save a share it. When you save and share, it immediately posts whatever you have typed directly to Twitter and Facebook with a link to that book/magazine on Amazon.
7) Size and Weight. I am a software architect, I have several books that are 900-1600 pages that serve as great reference materal. My core set of paper edition books weighs 27lbs. With book cover my Kindle DX's un-official weight is 2lbs. My stack of paper edition books is 15" tall. The Kindle is 1/3".
8) Price. $389.00. That's the lowest price ever for a newly manufactured Kindle DX.
9) Book Selection. 620K Book Selection, 1.8M free out of copyright books.
10) WhisperNet - Books in 60 seconds. Not books overnight for extra, or books in 2-3-5 days. ...and you don't pay extra for whispernet.

Neutrals:
1) Some reviewers mention the weight of the device. The device with a cover does have an uncomfortable total weight, however, at least for me, if I read from the device without the cover it feels only a tiny bit heavy and certainly better than my 900-1600 page paper edition books.

Cons:
1) I really would like a Next Page Button on the Left Hand side. I miss that button because, like others, I often switch hands while holding the Kindle. Having that Next Page button, similar to the Kindle 2, on both sides of the device is a must.
2) Collections don't transfer to devices. Prior to purchasing the Kindle DX I upgraded the Kindle Firmware on my Kindle 2 to get the collections feature. I created collections, moved my books/periodicals into the collections. When I activated my Kindle DX I got my books but not my collections. This is not a show stopper, I am sure in some future softeare update Amazon will consider this as a must have.
3) Paying for Amazon to covert common formats to Kindle format. When I first purchased my Kindle 2 Amazon would convert PDF's to Kindle Format. It seems now they are charging more to get the PDF to my kindle but they have dropped converting it to Kindle format in favor of Providing PDF Viewer functionality.
4) Price. For $389.00, you have to have a need to carry a few books around with you. With extended warranty, and a descent book cover though you are looking at $520.00 or so. If you are buying this to read one book at a time, and that book is not an image/diagram heavy book, pass this one up and buy the Kindle 2. You might be asking yourself 'For 520.00 why wouldn't I buy the IPAD? Well an IPad with a cover and an extended warranty is appx 770.00 not the 500.00 you might be thinking about. If you are comparing IPAD to this device for price-v-functionality. The IPad will win. If you are comparing this device to IPad for eReading-v-price. This device will win.

Wishes:
Amazon - You have subscriptions to Magazines, Blogs, etc.. I would pay 5.00/month for access to email.

Summary:
If you plan to read technical books, math, physics, software development, etc.. and those books have diagrams/images. This is your choice. Even when the publishers of those books provide low quality graphics/images as part of their 'for Kindle' edition, they are better viewed on this device than the smaller Kindle 2 version. I don't regret this purchase at this price. I would and do recommend it for it's quality, service, and price.

4 Stars instead of 5 - because this is a mature enough product by now that Amaazon could have solved the missing 'Next Page' button on the left side of the device.

[Add comment]