1,212 of 1,268 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Devoured, July 28, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU COMPLETELY LOST YOUR HEART TO A BOOK? Well, look no further. Diana Gabaldon has created the ultimate escape in Outlander. Don't let the 850 pages dissuade you. It's the fastest read you'll ever have.

The epic tale begins when Claire Randall, a young combat nurse in World War II, moves to Scotland with her beloved husband to reignite their marriage interrupted by the war. Hiking one day, Claire accidentally passes through the stones of an ancient stone circle and wakes up to find herself in 18th century Scotland. Lost, alone, and confused (yet determined), Claire's path crosses, and is inextricably linked to, a young Highland warrior... James Fraser. (The kind of man women want, and men want to BE.) The story that ensues would make Shakespeare proud-- danger, suspense, passion, betrayal, true love and tragedy. Gabaldon is a master storyteller. She shrouds her fantasy in just enough reality as to completely seduce her readers.

The time travel element as well as the romance, while unconventional for a "serious" historical novel, are handled brilliantly by Gabaldon. That said, this book is not for the faint of heart as the author tackles themes of a violent and sexual nature. However, the story is so realistic and beautifully told that it doesn't come off as a ploy to shock readers. Well-crafted and meticulously researched, Outlander is historical fiction at its finest... and so much fun! The hero and heroine come alive. You'll find yourself living and breathing in their world, anxiously devouring each chapter.

WARNING: have the next three books in the series handy. Once you turn the last page of Outlander, you won't want to return to the 21st century. I couldn't get to the bookstore fast enough. And, Gabaldon does not disappoint...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2008 1:37:49 PM PST
C. Bosman says:
Small correction... Claire travels to 18th century Scotland (mid-1700s), not 16th century. :O)

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 10:53:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 29, 2010 12:27:02 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 8:37:59 PM PST
Ann42633 says:
More a Q and A. I have 3 sets of the Outlander series, and what I want to know is "What is the Bonus Content in Outlander for ebooks??

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 12:24:56 PM PST
Margie says:

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 7:31:04 PM PST
I've just finished reading Outlander and I did enjoy it. I did speed read through some of it because it just seemed to me that she could have told the same wonderful story, with the same colorful, alive characters in half the explanation time. However, Claire clearly, to me, belongs with Jamie, as Frank always treated her as an after thought, and she didn't seem to be all that respectful of him either. I enjoyed the book/story, and plan to wade right on in to the next in the series!

Posted on Feb 24, 2011 11:28:48 AM PST
Loved loved loved the Outlander books! A friend highly reccommended this book and I skeptically picked it up. I enjoyed it so much, I read it in 3 days, then read it again, savoring each page. I never read books a second time, but the entire series has kept me company on long winter nights, leading into spring twice. I'm sure I will revisit Jamie and Claire again, when the final installment appears on the bookshelves.

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 11:19:23 AM PDT
Fergus' Mam says:

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 4:28:42 PM PST
Nicole Stout says:
I happened to spot this book at the local bookstore while I was on maternity leave....and boy oh boy am I glad I bought it! The story of Claire and Jamie is one that will stay in my mind for as long as I live. Diana Gabaldon is a wonderful writer and I feel like I have come to known personally, each of her characters through her wring. I am anxiously awaiting the next installment of the series. I recommend this series to anyone who asks for a good read. Even if time travel is not your preference, read the first chapter and I just know you will fall in love as I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2012 8:20:01 PM PST
Sammi says:

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 6:33:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 5, 2014 1:49:15 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (8,483 customer reviews)
 (6,607)