5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome home system, March 6, 2009
This review is from: Apple Mac mini MB464LL/A Desktop (Personal Computers)
Just purchased am already very happy with the decision. This was a replacement system that I purchased for my wife - I am the home tech support resource and I was tired of constantly having to keep her system patched, updated and rebuilt (from XP to Vista SP1) in order to fight off ad/malware that was constantly infecting it.

Even though the hardware spec's for the Mini are lighter than the Vista system that it replaced, it is much snappier in browsing and using the included applications as compared to the Vista equivalents. One correction to the displayed specs on Amazon - the included adapter is a mini-DVI to full DVI adapter, not a DVI/VGA adapter as listed. If your old monitor does not support DVI, you will need to get a new monitor that supports it. Considering the graphics focus of Mac systems, this is a worthwhile investment in any case if you have an old VGA only monitor - the graphics will really "pop" when you convert to DVI.

Update will follow in a few weeks once I have the wife fully converted over to the new system.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2009 6:31:38 AM PDT
J. Pelissier says:
Apple does sell a Mini-DVI>VGA adapter for $19 or $29 so you'd just have to buy that...not a new DVI monitor.

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 7:25:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2009 7:37:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2009 7:54:41 AM PDT
Just a Guy says:
I went back to add something to my prior post and clicked delete. Weird system Amazon has, instead of deleting the entire thing it shows a deleted comment.

Anyway, I was saying thanks for mentioning the monitor.

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 4:21:55 PM PDT
Tracy says:
Any comments on the pros of the mac mini vs the imac. Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 10:27:20 PM PDT
They're different. Do you want a built in monitor or do you already have a good monitor? I have a PC and want to add this as a second small space computer. I just sold my old G4 MM and will buy this when Snow Leopard ships.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009 10:35:40 AM PDT
Tracy says:
I'm contemplating the new mac mini or last years imac 24. The imac is more powerful but the mini design intrigues me. The price difference is not a deal breaker but I've heard many people complain about the glossy screen on the imac. I imagine the imac is a better deal for your money given the processor.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2009 1:56:33 PM PDT
BetsyR says:
Any suggestions for a good non-glossy monitor? I, too, have read about the extreme glossiness of the iMac.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2009 3:45:08 PM PDT
D. Green says:
Hi Betsy,
I currently have a Dual G5 hooked up to a 23" Apple Cinema Display. Best screen my eyes have come across. They're not cheap, though. I was lucky to get mine for about $400 in like new condition with about a year of AppleCare left. There are plenty of them on Ebay. However, if $400+ seems a bit much, there are LOTS of lcd's out there that are great for almost half the price. I'm contemplating getting the Mini and doing away with the G5. Just not convinced yet that I'll find the Mini to be faster or more powerful, even though the technology is new. I will NOT buy an iMac, however, as I can't stand the glass screens. Cheers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (88 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $335.00