5.0 out of 5 stars RAGE - A lot better than gamers/critics give it credit for, October 5, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rage (Video Game)
Okay first off the critics are wrong about this game, I've been playing FPS for a LONG time. Some of the reviews this game is getting aren't fair. It's being prejudged because of Fallout 3 and Borderlands, although there are some similarities, first off the game starts going at a fast pace, not slow and lengthy to get to the action like Fallout 3 and more realistic looking and the missions/characters are more engaging than Borderlands. Also, keep in mind that this game was in production when Fallout 3 and Borderlands came out, so don't dwell on the similarities, this game needs to be judged in it's own right. Not to mention the variety of different types of bandits, mutants, monsters and the Authority. I played the game for a solid 10 hours yesterday and I can say thus far it makes my top 5 list of Best Games Ever Made. Since when do we judge games so harshly, I look at the basic factors, is the game fun to play, entertaining, engaging, visuals, audio, etc. First off the GameSpot review is retarded they docked it points because it doesn't Auto-Save a whole lot or often enough, you have to Pause the game and save it. I might be alone here, but I hate games that make me wait until the next Auto-Save or the next Save Point. This bothers me, I like saving the game when I want to and not having to get somewhere to do it.

The attention to detail in this game is absolutely amazing, yes in the Dead City some of the messed up desks and rubble look graphically messed up but there is so much going on in this game graphically I wouldn't dock it for that. ID spent a lot of time working on this and it shows, the landscape and entire world is amazing. When your doing missions it doesn't feel like meaningless errands you feel engaged in the game, the variety of missions keep it interesting, a LOT better than the missions in Borderlands or Dead Island where after a while you get frustrated. Then after about 10 missions or so you go to a new town Wellspring and this town has a ton of missions and races for the car, and I find the added car races to be really fun and a good way to change it up, and missions that require you to drive through the wasteland are fun and engaging, you always run into bandits, etc driving through and it's always fun to fight them. For the first outpost you work on primarily fighting the bandits which can get boring but your not doing those missions for long, then you go to Wellspring and your thrown into Dead City to upgrade your health regeneration and you encounter the mutants and monsters (when I say monsters I mean the HUGE beasts). This changes the gameplay entirely these savages come from every direction and are harder to kill than the bandits. The monsters are fast, strong and challenging to kill, especially the massive one the size of a building literally. The inner city is almost terrifying with a claustrophobic/dark/helpless feel to it with mutants popping out of corners. Also, the enemies feel and act real, not fake and unbelievable. The bandits call for backup and talk to each other and you, they will flank you and they all act different, some duck for cover and have shootouts and others charge at you.

The mutants and monsters just surround you and charge from every direction. The people saying this game isn't like COD of course it's not all COD games are the same with different levels, that's all that changes, nothing new or innovative unless you think having a different machine gun makes the game great, you own one COD you own them all. Unless you enjoy mindless Deathmatchs with 12 year olds. This game is not supposed to be like COD and for that I am glad this game is entirely different and doesn't deserve that comparison. Also, the people saying that this is just ID's way to test there game engine, well if that's true then they did it right, this game has every aspect in it to put a game engine to the test. Just wait the new COD's will run on this engine to because they can't innovate there own engine, they have to borrow others. The shooting sequences and controls feel smooth and the enemies react to every bullet, shoot them in the foot they fall to the ground grabbing there foot and the Wingstick is a lot of fun to use on random enemies. The story takes a backseat in this game as your too busy with what your doing to worry about the story, in games like this I rarely care about the story. All in all I think this game should get a 10/10. Those of you waiting until the cost goes down are missing out, this game is definitely not a disappointment in any way.

ANARCHY BONUS EDITION:
For this pack I've noticed a lot of people complaining that there not getting the items. You have to redeem the two codes that come with the game, the Anarchy upgrades and the Sewer missions. Once you do this start the game on the first mission, when your given the handgun and on your way to fight the bandits, hold RB and check your weapons the Double Barrel shotgun is there, then you get a mission to go to the Outfitters to change out of your Ark suite you'll notice the armor there as the fourth selection.when you get to Wellspring and get a garage for your buggie, you'll notice in the garage an extra car the hot rod car (which I use for all my races).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2011 12:26:37 PM PDT
Malazan says:
thanks for the informative review. i was wondering where i had to go to get the armor.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:21:36 PM PDT
M. DiSpirito says:
Excellent review, sir. I, too, was shocked at the negative comments... but then I remembered that the COD-type games are the best-selling FPS games on the market. With that in mind, it comes as no surprise.

I chuckled when I saw Rage compared to Fallout 3 & Borderlands... that's a bad thing, why? Some folks is just silly: "It's like two of the coolest FPS games ever made." Geee... that stinks. ;)

I'm glad you brought up the saving issue. I despise checkpoints; I'd much rather have the option to save whereever, whenever (ala Fallout). I'm very pleased ID incorporated that idea. Again, the whole COD-style game is so ingrained that it's what people expect from every shooter.

So thank you for pointing those things out. Happy gaming, sir.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:47:09 PM PDT
Mr.Turner says:
Your review was so long and good i had to give you props for it you gave great details info and were honest i agree with the gamespot review was crap this game is easily a 9.0 or 9.5 in my opinion and all the comparisons to fallout cod and bordorlands was crap its not any of those games take it for what it is a very fun action loaded great graphics great voice acting game.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 6:17:18 AM PDT
H. Jones Jr says:
Excellent review, and thanks for explaining where the Anarchy edition stuff was. I actually picked the armor without realizing it was the bonus armor! I also want to thank you for pointing out the framerate. I have NEVER played a shooter on the 360 that ran so smoothly while looking so beautiful. Seriously, I've played for about 6 hours so far and nary a hitch in the framerate!

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 7:55:33 AM PDT
T. Peterson says:
Great review. I read this one after I wrote mine and we brought up some of the exact same points. This is one awesome game. I wanted to make a comment about yours in regards to Saving. You are right on and not alone. Saving this games on your own gives you much more control then other games with frustrating checkpoints and wondering when you saved last etc.. This feature was how Doom used to be 17 years ago. AMEN to Id for bringing it back. I can shut down and save whenever I want. I can save and then do something I questioned, if I was wrong in my decision I can go back to an earlier save etc.. It only takes seconds for a gamer to get into the habit of saving. This should be a huge plus and not a negative like you pointed out Gamestop gave the game.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 11:47:30 AM PDT
tuska1 says:
Really you have to redeem both codes to the the Anarchy items? If true (and it might be seeing how I don't have the 4 anarchy items, and only used one code) that is kind of a dumb thing to set up!
I've never come across needing to redeem two codes in order to get the item/s from a different code.

I've only played about 5/6 hours so far and I'm at Dead City, so far that game is not too bad. But nor it is that great yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 12:00:38 PM PDT
Really the only code you need is the Anarchy code, but I figured if I'm there may as well unlock the sewer missions to. Sounds like you entered the sewer missions code because you should have ALL the items by now, it's as simple as following directions.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 1:53:38 PM PDT
great review! i've been thinking these same things. when i read the initial reviews i was a little bummed because i had pre ordered it but after playing it for a couple days now, i must say i'm having a blast with it. i really wish it had a cover system for shootouts though. and the story is a little too familiar but still, super fun game not getting the respect it deserves.

Posted on Oct 10, 2011 8:21:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2011 8:25:31 AM PDT
Chris says:
"The mutants and monsters just surround you and charge from every direction..."

...this is when I bust out my advanced spider turret to thoroughly lay down some serious punishment on some mutant baddies lol =]

great review dude and def agreed

~c

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 5:11:18 PM PDT
J. Cammack says:
Awesome review. Heaven forbid a game isn't like COD. Thank goodness it isn't. I am so tired of COD that MW3 won't be in my catalog of games.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (371 customer reviews)

$19.99 $11.98