Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

1.0 out of 5 stars Two defective lamps so far!, December 10, 2011
This review is from: WBM Himalayan Glow Hand Carved Natural Crystal Himalayan Salt Lamp With Genuine Neem Wood Base, Bulb And Dimmer Control.8 to 9 Inch, 8 to 11 lbs. (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought two of these Salt Lamps.... Within days the electric went on one of them. Amazon replaced it.. Now 2 1/2 months later, another lamps electric is defective. The first one I believe was just a faulty electric on/off (rotation) switch.

But this one now appears to be a faulty design with these lamps.

I took this apart and the electric bulb holder was loaded with salt that apparently had loosened up from the lamp because of the heat and moisture. I cleaned it and replaced the bulb from my other lamp, but it will not work. There should be something covering the bulb and bulb holder to prevent the salt from getting all over it..

Also good to know, both of my lamps drip a lot of water on to the furniture they are on.. I've placed a dish under both of them, but the danger is the cord ends up sitting in the water as the water now collects in the dish! Not a good idea me thinks!

These lamps are a good idea. they give out a nice light, but the electric portion of this lamp is destined to fail as the salt falls down on the bulb and holder and the cord sitting in the water.. And it is dangerous that the lamp cord ends up sitting in water collect is the dish placed under the lamp.

I would strongly suggest to anyone using these lamps to place a dish under the lamp and empty it daily. I would also suggest you take the bottom of the unit (electric) off the lamp weekly and clean out any salt near the bulb..

December 21, 2011

I now have more info and concerns about these lamps... As I explained in my initial review, these lamps gather moisture from the air and will make your furniture wet, very wet. Placing a saucer under the lamp is supposed to protect your furniture, the only problem is the water gathers in the saucer and the lamp cord is sitting in the water, THIS IS SO DANGEROUS!

Well now I have found with the lamp plugged in, but the light not turned on, this salt lamp still collects a lot of water in the saucer, thus allowing the plugged in cord again to be sitting in water!! I can not express how DANGEROUS this is!

I have removed the electrical part of the Lamp, placed the Salt part on my kitchen counters and again, water is all over the counters... This time the electric was not plugged in, but I am amazed how much moisture these salt lamps collect from the air! Certainly most people buy these lamps to use the light, doing so puts every user in danger. The cord comes out of the lamp on the bottom, and this is where the water gathers in the saucer... Any lamp plugged in while the cord is sitting in water is HIGHLY DANGEROUS for electrocuting someone!

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THESE LAMPs!

JIM

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2012 11:07:47 AM PST
Moritz says:
I have owned a salt lamp (12" high) for 12 years, and I am quite puzzled about the reports that water collects under the salt lamps, a problem that has never happened to me. I purchased my lamp in Salzburg, Austria, where it is supposedly made from the salt after which the city is named. Our lam has been sitting on our piano or on our sideboard all these years, with no problem. The lamp is beautiful, giving off the warm glow as described in the product description. I can't belive that Himalayan salt attracts water more than Austrian salt. :) Our bulb, being a 240 volt European bulb, has lasted all these 12 years and puts out half the wattage, but that gives it the soft glow.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 1:47:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 1:48:23 AM PST
Jay Citizen says:
Don't you suppose it matters what climate you come from?

Anyway; I would at least put candles in them once an a while. Salt is fireproof and that way at least there is no electrical hazard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:28:44 PM PST
James Smith says:
Well believe it or not, these salt lamps sold on Amazon and else where collect water, a lot of it and the cord is on the bottom and sits in the water! Also, where the bulb is, wet salt falls on it and shorts out the unit..

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is now doing an investigation on these lamps, they picked up both of my salt lamps. Their initial thinking was the construction of the lamp does allow the electric cord to sit in water, a very dangerous situation that could lead to electrocution. The electric cord comes out of the bottom of these lamps, the company recommends placing them on a coaster, I used a shallow dish that collected about 1/4 inch of water, just enough to cover the cord.

Perhaps your salt lamps are made by a different company and constructed differently... I was not the only one to post on Amazon these lamps collect water from the air!

I really miss my lamps, they give good light and negative ions, but I also like living and when I realized I was fooling around with the cord and switch while the cord was sitting in water, well that was a bit too much!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:34:27 PM PST
James Smith says:
I do live in Florida where humidity is higher, but someone else posted from New York they had the very same problem. Anything electric has to be safe for all climates, not just dry climates.

Where the bulb is in these lamps, wet salt from inside the lamp falls on the bulb and holder and shorts it out.. Salt may be safe, I don't think wet salt is..

The real danger comes from water collecting on the saucer I had under the lamp, the electric cord was sitting in the water... I was playing with the switch and cord when I realized the danger..

Best,

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 8:13:39 PM PDT
AKN says:
Sounds like these are a disaster waiting to happen. Thanks to all the reviewers here to warned me.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 9:14:36 PM PDT
Daner says:
I really loved my salt lamp, but agree that there is a serious and dangerous flaw in the design. It does seem to be humidity related, but it's terribly dangerous. My light has shorted out twice. I finally have reluctantly decided I can't continue using it, I used to leave it on all the time; I love the light it emited. I'm wondering/hoping there are better made lamps out there. Anyone have any suggestions/experience with other brands?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 9:46:20 PM PDT
Deb M. says:
If there isn't a lot of humidity in the air, then sweating of the lamp shouldn't be happening. If the room is humid, then using a dehumidifier for the largest portion of the water in the air would help, as would having several salt lamps. It would depend on how humid the room was as to how many lamps you'd need. Some people have upwards to a dozen and they don't complain of this issue so they're obviously running enough of them that none of them are attracting all of the moisture. The humidity load is evenly divided between all of them.

My son and his father brought one of these home but we hadn't used it yet. I was reading the reviews about the moisture problem tonight and decided to put a washcloth underneath the lamp for right now. If there is moisture buildup, the cloth will take most of it.

I think if you had the lamp on a (flat) saucer but were using a cloth in-between them, it would be a little safer than if there was a puddle of water there. That, or a thick piece of cork would work for small amounts of moisture if something impermeable was put between the cork and the furniture, but I'd say a dehumidifier or more lamps would be better in cases of high humidity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2013 5:53:19 AM PDT
Daner says:
The humidity is due to summer humidity; I would have to close up the house as well as get a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity. In terms of the moisture buildup, it's not the moisture under the lamp or against the cord. It's the moisture that accumulates within the lamp socket within the salt lamp itself that is dangerous. That's is what causes the short. What I experienced was not a small puddle of moisture. I didn't have it in a saucer. It was approximately a 6 inch puddle. The puddle didn't come up to any exposed wires in the lamp.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 12:05:14 PM PDT
Laura says:
maybe the candle tea light salt lamp and use the beeswax tealights because those put out negative ions as well ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013 1:34:54 PM PDT
KS says:
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea this could happen. Glad I read the reviews before buying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›