5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the bunch..., October 25, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Medal of Honor Warfighter - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Let me start this by saying I am a 36 year old Army Veteran and a hardcore FPS game fanatic...

I play them all COD, BF3, MOH, MWF3 ETC... and I love them all, each has there own strengths and weaknesses. I have played about 20 hours of MOH:WF now so I feel I can give a fairly accurate review of the game.

Single Player:
Short, but very good. I beat it in about 4-5 hours but enjoyed every second of it and I will play through several more times I am sure. As I said before I was in the Army for 12 years and the game did someting for me that others have not. It brought the personal side of war and being a soldier into the picture. It showed the affect that it has on family and every day life.

Without going into any details and spoil the ride for you the ending made me well up a bit. Maybe because of my time working with the Casualty and Mortuary Affairs division. It was the best ending to any modern war game I can remember. It's just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree.

Multi Player:
This is the focus currently of the FPS genre and most likly where you will get your bang for the buck. First off make sure you install the HD graphics on the disk when prompted. The game looks amazing in my opinion.

I played the Beta a bit and liked it but when I first jumped into the full game version I was a little disappointed. It went away when I finaly figured out the game. Give it a good 2-3 hours and you will be hooked. I also suggest playing just team death match to get the hang of things. To me this is like a hybrid of COD/BF3.

The real change here is the fire teams. Get a friend with a headset and work together, that is where the game shines. If you just run off by yourself you are missing the entire reason for this game. Thats not saying you have to stay side by side, it's better to give yourself a half a screen or so so you can react to whatever took out your partner or he can react to whatever took out you.

If you play the game like it's ment to you will enjoy it. It's a welcome change to a format that is getting a little old.

Is it better the Black Op's 2? Who knows, that game is not out yet but I have it on pre-order and I will find out. I do however believe this is the best FPS currently out today.

*** UPDATE 11/01/2012 ***
I now have over 30 hours into multiplayer and about 18 into single beating it on Normal, Hard, Tier 1 and currently working on Hardcore.

I stand by my original review however I am removing 1 star because I have now run into a couple of glitches. I am sure they will be fixed in a future patch and when they are I may bump the score back up to 5 stars.

The major glitch that currently annoys me is the "Warchief" achievment. Because I played Battlefield 3 I was granted early access to a couple of classes right off. This however glitched the achievement for unlocking all classes. I know it will be fixed but it was annoying to hit level 75 and not get the achievement.

The other glitch is with the Blackhawk kill streak. Sometimes when you call it in, it is positioned so that you are facing off the map and are unable to shoot anyone.

Lastly the spawns in some game modes are a bit annoying. Not that bad but they do need some tweaking.

The Achievement glitches have been fixed and some of the other issues have gotten better. I must say it's interesting how many of the fixes can be done server side with this game. It eliminates the time it takes for Microsoft to certify a patch and push it out to the users. I hope a lot more future games use this model of updates. I will still leave my review at 4 stars for the moment and will update this review as needed.

**** UPDATE 11/13/12 ****
I have been playing Black Ops 2 and I am very disappointed, it is the same as black ops except the maps now cater to snipers & corner campers. It should have been a DLC add-on to Black Ops not a $60.00 game. In my oppinion buy MOH:WF if you are only buying one, it is by far a better game if you ask me. Even with the bugs and those will be fixed.

Activision/Treyarch, if I wanted to play Black Ops 1 over again I could have just put my original disk back in. I don't think I needed to buy a 60.00 add-on with poorly designed maps. My next COD purchase will not be a pre-order.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2012 11:28:13 PM PDT
Is it better than Borderlands 2? The FPS genre is getting stale.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 11:32:30 PM PDT
J. Skeels says:
I love them both but for different reasons. I play borderlands 2 for the rpg aspect but for a fps I need the competitive pvp. So if your looking for a great single player or co-op play grab BL2 but if you want the PVP action MOHWF. Or you could do like me and buy em both.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:05:02 AM PDT
PVP??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:45:13 AM PDT
Player vs Player.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:45:07 AM PDT
Overall I find that I constantly die in competitive PVP multiplayer and that the constant dying/respawning only to die again isn't all that fun. Maybe I'm just not that good tactically since a lot of gamers flock to these games for the multiplayer. Honestly, I've never understood the draw to these types of military shooters since to me, it's mostly "run and gun."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 12:08:06 PM PDT
J. Skeels says:
For me it takes a lot of playing untill I find what works for me and I go with it. Since I was in the military for over 12 years I have military tactics built into my brain now. On this game if you use strategy and tactics with a team member it usually works very well. If you get killed and your partner kills the guy that killed you you respawn right behind your parter. It rewards teamwork instead of just mindlessly running around seeing who is fastest on the trigger.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 4:02:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 4:02:50 PM PDT
LostRhoades says:
@JoelCD It all depends on how you play. I just checked the global stats for BF3 and the top player (time played) has 2998 hours. BF3 has been out for a year, almost to the day. That's something like 125 days of straight playing in one year. Unless you have their dedication, there will always be people better than you. Don't take it too seriously and you'll enjoy it more. It's hard sometimes, but I think it's the only way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:13:44 PM PDT
I don't play games nearly that much and I'm not in the military so I don't know the tactics of combat to use with first-person shooters. Because I'm always killed, I tend to dislike online multiplayer. Perhaps the "matchmaking" isn't good and I always end up against players that are better than me.

Do you still think I should give this game a try?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:17:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 8:17:59 PM PDT
J. Skeels says:
If your not into competitive multi player I say rent it.. 5 hours of single player isn't enough to justify buying it in my opinion, but the single player is good enough for a rental. On the other hand if you have a good buddy that will be buying it you can play with you might enjoy the teamwork aspect of multi player.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 9:55:35 PM PDT
LostRhoades says:
@JoelCD Honestly I can't recommend this game because I haven't played it yet myself. I've been trying to decide whether or not to take the plunge. I was just speaking generally about FPS games. I play BF3 on Xbox. I've played enough to where I have decent coordination and I can get kills, but a lot of the time I'm in the negative. Overtime I've gotten better. Time is the only thing that will get you there. At first, no one knows the maps well and they die often, but it will come. Many have said this game seems like a mix between COD and BF3, which means there are probably tight quarters and lots of 'running and gunning'. Probably similar to what you have experienced before. BF3 has both small, close quarter maps, as well as large maps where you might run around and not see people for longer periods. That gives you the chance to really figure out how things work while not dying every second (it does happen, but not as often). Specifically I'm talking about Conquest mode. Anyway, this wasn't really supposed to be a plug for BF3, but if you want to give shooters another shot, BF3 without all the expansions is half the cost at this point and its a great game with a lot of life left in it. Just one last thing, if you are sensitive to profanity be warned, BF3 has plenty (even in multiplayer). Good luck!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (350 customer reviews)

$19.99 $7.84