3.0 out of 5 stars AT810 vs. the AT830, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Philips Norelco AT810/41 Shaver 4100 (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Bottom line: This model is very similar to the AT830, but comes in at a lower price. Unfortunately, it also comes in at a lower performance level. I think it's worth spending a bit more to get the AT830.

On the basis of actual specifications, the AT810 and the AT830 look pretty similar. They both have the same overall form factor, use the same HQ8 heads, and offer wet and dry shaves. However, the AT830 has a pivot head that allows the whole head assembly to pivot and adjust to your facial contours. I found that made a real difference in shave quality and comfort (as described in my review of the 830).

Both models are comfortable to hold, with nicely rounded areas and an easy-to-grip surface. Both have about the same build quality - generally OK, but I am concerned about the light-weight plastic retaining system for the combs and cutters. Both also come with just the basics (shaver, charger, head cap and cleaning brush). No stand or case.

As with the 830, I was not impressed with the dry shave quality of the 810. It was irritating in the neck area (even a bit more than the 830) and struggled to get all the hairs on the jaw line. Both models were much better on the cheek area, but still (in my opinion) a notch below what a good foil shaver can do.

Performance is much better as a wet shaver. I found the 830 equaled the performance of the SensoTouch 3D, a much more expensive model from Norelco. The 810 is not as good, which I assume is due to the lack of the pivoting head. I clearly felt the difference between the two in the jaw line and neck areas. To be clear, the 810 did a decent job as a wet shaver. It's just that the 830 is better.

I appreciate a good value product, and often find that spending more to get the "next model up" just gets you some so-so bells and whistles rather than better performance. However, there are also times when spending a bit more results in a better experience. This is one of those cases. Although I'd have to recommend a foil rather than either the 810 or 830 if you want to shave dry, if you're in the market for a rotary wet shaver you'll want to skip the 810 and go for the 830.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 5, 2012 7:23:31 PM PDT
R Jones says:
If you plan on shaving dry which foil razor would you suggest? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 7:36:40 PM PDT
Comdet says:
My all-time favorite foil is the Braun Series 7. It's not cheap, but it works very well. If you're looking to spend less I'd suggest the Braun Series 3. Not as capable as the 7, but it will give nearly as good of a shave (although it will take longer) for much less $. Panasonic also makes some great foils, especially their Arc4 line.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 9:54:59 AM PDT
R Jones says:
Thanks for the response, I shave dry had been debating about a Philips, Braun or Panasonic electric razor. I recently purchased the Panasonic ES8103S but I am returning the device since it does not give a close shave on my neck and I almost feel as if it might be defective. I'm looking to spend a maximum of around $100 and am currently looking at the Philips (mainly the AT830) or a Braun. Would you recommend a Braun Series 3 over a Philips for a close shave?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 12:50:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 12:51:03 PM PDT
Comdet says:
That's a hard question to answer since every face reacts differently. For my face, both provide a close shave, but I prefer the Braun since it is faster, more gentle, and works better on my jawline (fewer passes needed) than the Norelco.

Both Braun and Norelco offer a money-back return policy so if the one you pick does not work out, you can return it.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 10:22:31 PM PDT
AT830/41: Objective review by 'Comdet' - - excellent for making the right choice for an electric shaver. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 12:29:28 PM PDT
Comdet says:
You're very welcome - glad you found it helpful.

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 10:46:04 AM PST
I am in the market for an electric shaver for my husband. This review was very helpful but what is a foil?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 10:52:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2013 10:52:52 AM PST
Comdet says:
There are two basic types of shavers:
1. Rotary -- these have "wheels" that house the spinning cutters. The above product is an example of a rotary shaver.

2. Foil -- this type of shaver has a "foil" (a thin perforated piece of metal) that covers the cutters, which vibrate back and forth rather than spin. Braun and Panasonic are two examples of companies that make foil shavers.

Which is better? It all depends. I tend to prefer foil shavers, but also use rotary shavers. Some men only like foil shavers; others only like rotary. It really comes down to personal preference.

Hope that helped, and please feel free to ask other questions as you're shopping for your husband's new shaver.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 11:15:32 AM PST
Thank you so much. That is a big help. I think he prefers (and has specified in the past) the rotary type but thought I should make certain.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2013 3:58:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2013 4:02:18 AM PST
St8kout says:
I have both a foil and rotary. My experience is that foil gives you a closer shave if you shave daily, but has trouble with longer hair if you skip a day or two. Short hairs stick straight out and easily fall into the holes of the foil. Longer hairs fall over and it can take multiple passes before they finally find their way into the holes and get cut.

The rotary models don't seen to have that problem by the nature of their design, in that there is more space for the longer hairs to fall into the cutting grooves, but most seem to agree that it does not shave as close as the foil models.

This is why you see some complaints about having to follow up a foil shave with a manual razor. In my case, I follow up with the rotary for the handful of hairs missed by the foil, especially on my neck.

Both my shavers are very old and dying, so I'm looking for a replacement. Seems every shaver on the market has some complaints about it so it's not an easy choice.

I also can't believe how expensive some models are now. I have to wonder if the prices went up in time for the Christmas 'on-sale' price. I might wait until Dec 26 to buy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,621 customer reviews)

$69.99 $59.00