4.0 out of 5 stars It's a big plus, April 11, 2011
This review is from: 3-Month Playstation Plus Membership - PS3/ PS4/ PS Vita [Digital Code] (Software Download)
As someone who has not purchased many digital "things," I was skeptic of the Playstation Network that came with my brand new Playstation 3. Hence, I went for the 3-month card instead of the 12-month card. The first day after I put in the code, I got a copy of Sam and Max season 3, a 35 dollar value, for free, because it was the Playstation Plus game of the month. Wowzers.

The bad: Buying free games with the Playstation Plus cards are actually rentals of said games. If I got a free game on the same day that I got my 3-month Playstation Plus card, it's actually a 3-month rental of the game, that could be extended from a 3 months rental to a 15 months rental if I buy a 12 month Playstation Plus card (50 bucks) in the next three months. If I bought another 12 months, say, 12 months from now, the "due dates" for these rentals would extend another 12 months, turning rentals into pretty much the same as a purchase. Games bought with a 1 to 99 percent discount in the Playstation Plus store don't expire when your Playstation Plus card expires, so that's good. The discount applies to a handful of games every month, all of them popular and worth a look.

The good: You get several games picked out of a hat for you per month. What you get:
-one playstation 3 game per month, in the 15-35 dollar range, for free. For me, the games are always at least decent, at best highly addictive.

- one playstation 1 game per month, worth 6 bucks in the playstation store, for free. These are usually popular, such as Spyro, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, etc. In the last 6 months, only one has been lame (Crash Team Racing).

- two Playstation "minis", which are video games worth 2-3 bucks in the playstation store, for free. You get about 1-10 hours of fun from these, depending on how addicted you are.

- a medley of free things: playstation 3 themes, wallpapers, avatars, exclusive beta testings, and sometimes an extra free game. The NHL center ice player is free, but it costs over a hundred bucks to get a season pass.

- Several video game companies will give you the same discount on the same game every month.

- Several discounts on an ever-changing assortment of video games every month. This is the best part. I've spent a 20 dollar playstation card every month picking up these goodies. These cards have saved me over a hundred dollars in video games from these discounts.

So basically, twelve months of this nets you about 200 bucks worth of video games that you would like for free. There's always tons of discounts on top of this, usually 50 percent off something popular.

If you purchase anything from a discount, you still have it if your playstation plus account expires. The discounted games appear to be picked at random and are different every month.

I'm giving this 4 stars because the 12 month card is clearly a better bang for your buck, and I wish I got that instead. A+

Edit 2012: As of E3 2012 PS1 games and minis have been discontinued as mandatory benefits, making this service nonsense for anybody who owns a PlayStation Portable but not the Playstation 3. Minis could continue to come out at a very slow pace but PS1 games are done. It appears that in most months now THREE bonus PS3/PSN games appear. Also, the benefits now include soundtracks to to Datura and Starhawk but with no easy path to find them through the PlayStation store. There's more DLC out there that are discounted towards PlayStation Plus members, and a library of 60 minute free trials to disk-based games.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 11:07:20 PM PDT
T. Sim says:
Thanks for the review. You answered a a lot of questions I had that Sony is pretty vague on.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:56:59 PM PST
Great post, Very informative... The fact that you said that every ps1 game was good except CTR was funny considering its one of my favorite games. So, Im guessing the other games were just amazing!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 12:15:47 PM PST
DFE says:
This review was informative when it was written, but is now full of outdated information. The price now includes access to a rotating collection of "free" Vita games and more free games for both systems. Sony keeps changing the plans offering - recently for the better - so anyone considering it should check out the Sony website for current information.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 7:33:44 PM PST
Michael says:
DFE, if I had to write the review this month, the PlayStation 3-month card deserves three stars from me instead of four, seeing that a PlayStation 1 digital copy of "Final Fantasy V" was substantially better than episode 1 and 2 of Telltale's "Walking Dead." Sony giving out Borderlands on PS+ was a trick to get people to buy Borderlands 2, and Quantum Conundrum showed up only because the product keys for the game are being given out from Steam like they were cups of water.

I think that people should know that this was a four-star item back in the day, and as they see more 3 star reviews show up, they will see that PlayStation Plus this year isn't as good as last year. Hopefully this review is replaced with newer reviews, and people will recognize how PS+ benefits have gotten worse or better over the last two years.

I did write in my added final paragraph weeks ago that the fourth and fifth paragraphs of this review is obsolete. I'm not going to erase obsolete information, because people get confused when everyone's review suddenly changes stars. The rotating Vita "collection" is actually one game as of this comment, so I would say it is a collection when there is more than one game. Another part of the review, which I forgot to mention, but was obsolete when by the time I remembered, is that the free themes and wallpapers remain free-to-use even after all the game licenses expire. I actually planned to do a 2013 edit of this review next month, but you caught me early. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:23:31 AM PST
I had 3 months subscription into the service from amazon with my new vita. wasn't able to capitalize on it cuz for it to work when you enter the code in psn they still want credit card info and american billing address. I do not live in U.S.A so I wasn't able to use it.
my question is if I buy the codes from amazon can I use the codes just like that or am I gonna face the same issue? thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:05:00 AM PST
Michael says:
Sony Computer Entertainment of America lets everyone create an account and buy PlayStation games without a credit card. That's all I know. Every time I update my Playstation 3's operating system, I read SCEA's privacy policy. Check to see if this freedom exists in your PlayStation 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 1:23:11 PM PST
well I plan to use it on my vita. it seems that they were requiring the cred card info for the purposes of automatic re-subscription should my free trial ended.
anyways thanks for the reply , I will buy a code at my own risk and hope it'll work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›