Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars (Updated 11/30/2014) Works great, what I need, and looks great, May 8, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's WVA470DJ-1ACF "Waveceptor" Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch (Watch)
Build:
Mostly steel -- wrist band and on the front and back of the watch piece. Most of the watch casing is plastic, with a front steel cover and and on the back, a steel plate(behind it is the battery). The bezel or the outer front ring of the watch doesn't turn like some watches do. The wristband is a two button release, so you push in both sides of the clasp to release the wristband. Watch face is made of hardened mineral, and has not scratched yet, and hopefully not. The mineral is slightly concave, so it bulges out slightly.

Aesthetics:
I have grabbed people's attention, friends and strangers, and they comment on the great looks of it. In my own opinion, I also say the watch has the "prestige" look. The only bad is the plastic casing, but it is usually doesn't grab your eye at first look.

Features:
Atomic Time
It features atomic time in both analog and digital, and it has done its job properly. Every day at 12 a.m., it will sync with the the nearest by ground stations (NOT satellites as I mistakenly stated thanks to a response to my review) to keep the time updated. Most of the time it will sync successfully in Houston, but when I traveled to Tokyo or various sections of China or Taiwan, it will not always sync successfully. My guess is that there are dead spots around the globe, and I am pretty sure within the States too. Another great thing to the atomic time feature is that it will take care of your daylight saving time changes. Set it to "A" or auto-DST mode, and it will automatically set the correct time in your current location. No more guessing the time when traveling. The date is also automatically set for you, whether in leap year or whatever. Both the analog and digital time sync together.

Solar
It's great to not have to worry about changing out the batteries. My biggest problem with changing battery is re-pressuring** your watch, otherwise the watch face will fog up from the inside. With this watch I won't have to worry about changing out the battery and thus re-pressuring it. The digital display on the watch can also display the solar battery charge, and it has been on "HI" all the time. When you first get the watch, however, you do need to let it sit in light since it has been in the box in the dark for who knows how long. **Please read my update below

Alarm Clock
There are 3 alarms, and it will be as loud as your typical Timex watch or other Casio watch you might have. I don't depend on it to wake myself up since I am a heavy sleeper. It will shutoff by itself after a minute or so.

Hourly Chime
Great to have, but it will chime every hour for 24 hours, even during sleeping hours.

Stopwatch
Display format as "00:00". The "00:" section will count up in seconds with the ":00" as microseconds. For example "01:00" will be one second. If you let it continually run into the minutes, for example "11:03", that will mean 11 minutes and 3 seconds. There is the split time mode, but I have yet to figure out how to use it.

Second Time
The watch can also display a second time through the digital display. For example if I want the time in Tokyo, you can set the digital display to show the time in Tokyo. There is a list of various areas to set your time to. The analog time will be your current time.

Manual Time
You can also set the analog time manually -- for whatever reasons you want.

Readability:
The digital display can show you the following information separately and not together: date, seconds, and current time. For example: "SA 8" for Saturday of the 8th in the current month, 23 for 23 seconds, 8:17(with a little "P" on the top left corner if current time is P.M.)

There is also an orange color yellow LED that shines from the right side of the digital screen. The hour, minute, and second hand, and the hour markers have the luminous glow paint, so it will glow well if you let it shine in the sunlight, and dim but barely viewable otherwise. I use the digital time and the LED backlight on if I can't read the analog time. The LED will NOT illuminate the whole watch face, only the digital screen.

Accuracy:
For the nitpicky that want the analog to tick accurately, the second hand doesn't always match up to the second markers, but it still somehow ticks at the right second markers(almost). It has never been a second ahead or behind. Again the analog and the digital time sync together, but the analog is a microsecond faster than the digital time -- the analog second hand runs ahead slightly than the digital second.

Waterproof:
Supposedly rated to 100 meters. I don't scuba dive so I can't comment on whether it goes that deep. I do swim occasionally and it has not given me any problems. No rusting, not staining, and looks the same as when I first got it.

Comfort:
Comfortable to wear, didn't pull hairs for me like some of my other metal band watches(and I am not a very hairy person). Easy to put on.

Weight:
Not heavy at all for a mostly steel watch. Part of the reason is for the mostly-plastic watch casing, but I wanted a light watch as well. I would consider this watch to be in the "light" category. I have seen plenty of heavy watches, and they seriously are heavy-- its like carrying weights around your wrist. If you want a reference for heavy, try any of the new Fossil watches that have thick watch casings. For light, grab a titanium made watch that does not have a slim watch casing.

Overall opinion:
Great watch, accurate, and comfortable. It was useful and crucial for travel. Worked great out of the box -- just had to set the watch to correct timezone and let it charge for a day. Only complaint is the plastic material used, but it is durable and doesn't bother me at all. It would have been 5 stars if it were all metal, but it probably would have been a lot heavier.

(I uploaded some pictures of the backlighting of the watch if you are curious. Its in the customer image section where you can see all the various photos of the watch.)

UPDATE 3/30/2012:
Watch still works great. Hasn't failed me one bit and still looks beautiful. Attained very small scratches on the watch face but barely visible unless shined in a light and sharp eyes. Metal clasp pretty scratched up but only because I wore it everyday and setting your wrist (which the watch goes on) on a desk or hard surface tends to scratch that metal clasp. I have traveled to California and China since my previous review and the watch has kept up the time for me. I only had to change the time zone and the watch took care of the rest, even daylight saving time. I would still recommend this watch to anyone that wants a good looking watch, not too heavy, and best of all -- no need to ever change batteries and no need to upkeep the time (w/ minor tweaks of course). I posted update pictures and keep in mind they are pictures I just took today, ~2 years from now.

**UPDATE 11/19/2012
In response to one of the posts regarding what "re-pressuring" the watch means, it should have been "pressure testing" the watch. I apologize for any confusion. Essentially what that means is testing the watch (using a water-pressure equipment) to make sure it can withstand the water pressure as specified by the manufacturer. For example, this Casio watch can withstand up to 100 meters of pressure. The equipment will put that much pressure on the watch. Then the watch is heated (for testing purposes and to dry up any water that may have seeped into the watch). If the watch passes the test, the watch face should have no water crystals formed. If the watch fails, the water leaked in will become water crystals on the watch face. In that case the rubber seal will need to be replaced and lubricated. This entire procedure can run you around $60+, and this is from asking a local watch shop. Prices will vary, but I can assure you it won't be cheap.

So to tie this back to my review, changing the battery out --> requires removing the backplate of the watch --> causes more wear and tear to the rubber seal --> your watch will be more prone to internal water leaks --> condensation in the watch == costly repairs. Keep in mind condensation in the watch can cause the internals to rust, which in that case you are better off buying a new watch. The rubber seal in this Casio Waveceptor will eventually breakdown too, but nowhere as quick to having a battery-only watch. I owned a Fossil watch which I had to change out the battery every 3-5 years, and 5 if I'm lucky. Each battery change I had to change out the rubber seal...after finding out there was fog on the watch face. Fossil was kind enough to take mine in and fix it free of charge ("re-pressuring" as they called it and replacing the rubber seal). Fossil charges ~$30 back then to fix the fog issue, but at that point I said screw it, I'm going solar.

My Casio Waveceptor still works great by the way.

***UPDATE 08/26/2013
Since Amazon decided to do away with the customer images for this particular product, here is the link to my pictures on Amazon:

My Casio Waveceptor still works great despite not using it for a while. It sat in my drawer in the dark for 2 months and the battery life was only at "MID". A recharge in bright sun for a couple hours put it back in "HIGH". Also I see a lot of questions/issues about resizing the watch band. I did the resizing using stuff you find around the house: wall pin, sewing needle, needle nose plier, and a hard surface such as a tabletop that you don't mind getting a few tiny dings into it. With LOTS of patience and carefulness for my own safety and the watch, I was able to pull the job off without going to a jeweler. I will detail the steps on how I did it. It requires some precision work and just being extra careful with sharp objects. PLEASE do not resize it the way I did it if you aren't comfortable working with sharp objects, are clumsy, and don't want to spend too much time. You have been forewarned, and the liability of your watch (and yourself) lies in your hands!

Assuming you know which links to remove:
1. Place watch on tabletop with the watchface off the table to avoid pressure damage to it and the link band facing up (or link pin holes facing up). Use the wall pin to hammer out(gently) the link pin until the wall pin can't go into the hole any further. You can use the flat side of the plier to hammer. This gives us a little gap where the link pin was pushed in to work with for the next step.

2. Keeping in mind where the gap was made, you will be using a sewing needle (because it fits in the hole) to push the link pin out enough to where you can pull it out with a plier. This is the hardest part and will require much patience and extra care to yourself! With the watch on top, needle in the middle (blunt end in the gap and sharp end against the tabletop), and tabletop at the bottom + two hands on both sides of the link band, I pushed down slowly and carefully until the link pin comes out. Make sure both hands are closest to that one link you are trying to remove so you don't pressure the other links. If done right, the link pin should slowly jut out enough to where you can pull it out with a plier.

3. The rest should be self explanatory once the link pins are out. Once you removed all the links to your desire, you will push the link pins back into its respective place using either the tabletop to push the link pins in (and make sure the watchface is off the table). You can also hammer the links back in gently as well if you want.

Best of luck, and hope my method works for you all!

****UPDATE 11/30/2014
Woohoo, Amazon brought back my pictures in the review! This review is overdue for an update since August of last year, but there isn't anything to update because the watch is still ticking and kicking. The atomic clock still syncs everyday and ticks on the dot, battery reserve full and holding a charge very well, backlight still works, watch still chirps at the hour every hour, and the casing and metal wristband is excellent shape (no cracks and any abnormal wear and tear). 4.5+ years and counting!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 5, 2010 8:06:28 AM PDT
S. Vorhauer says:
Thank you very much, I was wondering about the bezel, whether it turned or not, because I actually use the bezels on these diver watches. But you made it clear that the bezel does Not rotate. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 6:07:05 PM PDT
M. Tomeny says:
Can the digital display show the date and current time together?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2011 7:15:14 PM PDT
S. Vorhauer says:
Sorry, I don't remember, but I still have the watch and works well. But now have moved on to automatic mechanical watches, but I still need a rotating bezel either internal or external. The new Paneira has one, the GMT only useful if I want to track time in another country. Sam

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 11:09:30 AM PDT
Jerry P. says:
Nice review. One thing to note - these 'atomic' watches do not sync with satellites, they sync with ground stations in certain places around the world. These stations have atomic clocks and use low frequency radio transmissions to broadcast the time information. GPS satellites do broadcast similar information but you need a GPS receiver to get it (it is a much higher frequency also).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2012 9:02:22 PM PDT
William Chen says:
I know this is rather late, and you probably already decided what watch you want already...

Nope, they are not shown together. It is either time, date, or seconds.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:29:00 AM PDT
Smaug says:
This is possibly the best watch review I've ever read. Thanks for taking the time, Mr. Chen. I am mostly into mechanical watches lately, but I find myself missing features that costs tens of thousands of dollars on a mechanical watch, but are easily found for under $100 in an ana-digi. I'm not sure if I'll get this one or not, as it is at the top of my price range, but it is a serious contender now!

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 4:08:18 AM PDT
Joe Vanegas says:
Thanks for posting the backlighting picture. That is an important feature that the manufacturers never show.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:59:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 10:40:57 PM PDT
William Chen says:
Glad to have been a help in your purchases!

So I came back from Europe and the time sync does not work (since there aren't time stations to sync with in Europe). So if you are going to live in Europe long term you might have to look for another atomic watch since it won't be able to calibrate itself to atomic time.

*So to correct my post there are time stations in Europe, just not the bands this watch is compatible with. Thanks for the correction Smaug!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 8:03:57 AM PDT
Smaug says:
There ARE time stations in Europe; one in Germany and one in the UK. However, this watch doesn't have a receiver for those bands. Other Casio Wave-Ceptors do have the right receivers. There may even be a European version of this watch that does. Check out Casio's UK site.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 7:04:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 7:05:02 AM PDT
Richard Boyd says:
Ok guys, read the manual that comes with the watch! Pgs E-20 & E-21.

This watch only syncs to the stations in Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA; Fukushima, Japan; and Fukuoka/Saga, Japan. It does not, and cannot see the stations in Europe, China, or elsewhere. So, synchronizing to the atomic clock in those areas of the globe won't happen with this watch (you need to get the "multi-band" watches if you travel to Europe regularly).

Also, you must manually set the station it is supposed to sync to. So, when in Asia, follow the instructions in the manual to set the station to one of the two stations it can see in Japan. Fukushima works best for Northern Japan, Korea, and Southern China. Fukuoka works best for Southern Japan, Okinawa, Taiwan, and Philippines. Set it back to Ft. Collins, when you return to the USA.

This is indeed an awesome watch for the price ... love mine
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›