4.0 out of 5 stars (Updated 08/26/2013) Works great, what I need, and looks great, May 8, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's WVA470DJ-1ACF "Waveceptor" Solar Atomic Ana-Digi Sport Watch (Watch)
Build:
Mostly steel -- wrist band and on the front and back of the watch piece. Most of the watch casing is plastic, with a front steel cover and and on the back, a steel plate(behind it is the battery). The bezel or the outer front ring of the watch doesn't turn like some watches do. The wristband is a two button release, so you push in both sides of the clasp to release the wristband. Watch face is made of hardened mineral, and has not scratched yet, and hopefully not. The mineral is slightly concave, so it bulges out slightly.

Aesthetics:
I have grabbed people's attention, friends and strangers, and they comment on the great looks of it. In my own opinion, I also say the watch has the "prestige" look. The only bad is the plastic casing, but it is usually doesn't grab your eye at first look.

Features:
Atomic Time
It features atomic time in both analog and digital, and it has done its job properly. Every day at 12 a.m., it will sync with the the nearest by ground stations (NOT satellites as I mistakenly stated thanks to a response to my review) to keep the time updated. Most of the time it will sync successfully in Houston, but when I traveled to Tokyo or various sections of China or Taiwan, it will not always sync successfully. My guess is that there are dead spots around the globe, and I am pretty sure within the States too. Another great thing to the atomic time feature is that it will take care of your daylight saving time changes. Set it to "A" or auto-DST mode, and it will automatically set the correct time in your current location. No more guessing the time when traveling. The date is also automatically set for you, whether in leap year or whatever. Both the analog and digital time sync together.

Solar
It's great to not have to worry about changing out the batteries. My biggest problem with changing battery is re-pressuring** your watch, otherwise the watch face will fog up from the inside. With this watch I won't have to worry about changing out the battery and thus re-pressuring it. The digital display on the watch can also display the solar battery charge, and it has been on "HI" all the time. When you first get the watch, however, you do need to let it sit in light since it has been in the box in the dark for who knows how long. **Please read my update below

Alarm Clock
There are 3 alarms, and it will be as loud as your typical Timex watch or other Casio watch you might have. I don't depend on it to wake myself up since I am a heavy sleeper. It will shutoff by itself after a minute or so.

Hourly Chime
Great to have, but it will chime every hour for 24 hours, even during sleeping hours.

Stopwatch
Display format as "00:00". The "00:" section will count up in seconds with the ":00" as microseconds. For example "01:00" will be one second. If you let it continually run into the minutes, for example "11:03", that will mean 11 minutes and 3 seconds. There is the split time mode, but I have yet to figure out how to use it.

Second Time
The watch can also display a second time through the digital display. For example if I want the time in Tokyo, you can set the digital display to show the time in Tokyo. There is a list of various areas to set your time to. The analog time will be your current time.

Manual Time
You can also set the analog time manually -- for whatever reasons you want.

Readability:
The digital display can show you the following information separately and not together: date, seconds, and current time. For example: "SA 8" for Saturday of the 8th in the current month, 23 for 23 seconds, 8:17(with a little "P" on the top left corner if current time is P.M.)

There is also an orange color yellow LED that shines from the right side of the digital screen. The hour, minute, and second hand, and the hour markers have the luminous glow paint, so it will glow well if you let it shine in the sunlight, and dim but barely viewable otherwise. I use the digital time and the LED backlight on if I can't read the analog time. The LED will NOT illuminate the whole watch face, only the digital screen.

Accuracy:
For the nitpicky that want the analog to tick accurately, the second hand doesn't always match up to the second markers, but it still somehow ticks at the right second markers(almost). It has never been a second ahead or behind. Again the analog and the digital time sync together, but the analog is a microsecond faster than the digital time -- the analog second hand runs ahead slightly than the digital second.

Waterproof:
Supposedly rated to 100 meters. I don't scuba dive so I can't comment on whether it goes that deep. I do swim occasionally and it has not given me any problems. No rusting, not staining, and looks the same as when I first got it.

Comfort:
Comfortable to wear, didn't pull hairs for me like some of my other metal band watches(and I am not a very hairy person). Easy to put on.

Weight:
Not heavy at all for a mostly steel watch. Part of the reason is for the mostly-plastic watch casing, but I wanted a light watch as well. I would consider this watch to be in the "light" category. I have seen plenty of heavy watches, and they seriously are heavy-- its like carrying weights around your wrist. If you want a reference for heavy, try any of the new Fossil watches that have thick watch casings. For light, grab a titanium made watch that does not have a slim watch casing.

Overall opinion:
Great watch, accurate, and comfortable. It was useful and crucial for travel. Worked great out of the box -- just had to set the watch to correct timezone and let it charge for a day. Only complaint is the plastic material used, but it is durable and doesn't bother me at all. It would have been 5 stars if it were all metal, but it probably would have been a lot heavier.

(I uploaded some pictures of the backlighting of the watch if you are curious. Its in the customer image section where you can see all the various photos of the watch.)

UPDATE 3/30/2012:
Watch still works great. Hasn't failed me one bit and still looks beautiful. Attained very small scratches on the watch face but barely visible unless shined in a light and sharp eyes. Metal clasp pretty scratched up but only because I wore it everyday and setting your wrist (which the watch goes on) on a desk or hard surface tends to scratch that metal clasp. I have traveled to California and China since my previous review and the watch has kept up the time for me. I only had to change the time zone and the watch took care of the rest, even daylight saving time. I would still recommend this watch to anyone that wants a good looking watch, not too heavy, and best of all -- no need to ever change batteries and no need to upkeep the time (w/ minor tweaks of course). I posted update pictures and keep in mind they are pictures I just took today, ~2 years from now.

**UPDATE 11/19/2012
In response to one of the posts regarding what "re-pressuring" the watch means, it should have been "pressure testing" the watch. I apologize for any confusion. Essentially what that means is testing the watch (using a water-pressure equipment) to make sure it can withstand the water pressure as specified by the manufacturer. For example, this Casio watch can withstand up to 100 meters of pressure. The equipment will put that much pressure on the watch. Then the watch is heated (for testing purposes and to dry up any water that may have seeped into the watch). If the watch passes the test, the watch face should have no water crystals formed. If the watch fails, the water leaked in will become water crystals on the watch face. In that case the rubber seal will need to be replaced and lubricated. This entire procedure can run you around $60+, and this is from asking a local watch shop. Prices will vary, but I can assure you it won't be cheap.

So to tie this back to my review, changing the battery out --> requires removing the backplate of the watch --> causes more wear and tear to the rubber seal --> your watch will be more prone to internal water leaks --> condensation in the watch == costly repairs. Keep in mind condensation in the watch can cause the internals to rust, which in that case you are better off buying a new watch. The rubber seal in this Casio Waveceptor will eventually breakdown too, but nowhere as quick to having a battery-only watch. I owned a Fossil watch which I had to change out the battery every 3-5 years, and 5 if I'm lucky. Each battery change I had to change out the rubber seal...after finding out there was fog on the watch face. Fossil was kind enough to take mine in and fix it free of charge ("re-pressuring" as they called it and replacing the rubber seal). Fossil charges ~$30 back then to fix the fog issue, but at that point I said screw it, I'm going solar.

My Casio Waveceptor still works great by the way.

***UPDATE 08/26/2013
Since Amazon decided to do away with the customer images for this particular product, here is the link to my pictures on Amazon:

My Casio Waveceptor still works great despite not using it for a while. It sat in my drawer in the dark for 2 months and the battery life was only at "MID". A recharge in bright sun for a couple hours put it back in "HIGH". Also I see a lot of questions/issues about resizing the watch band. I did the resizing using stuff you find around the house: wall pin, sewing needle, needle nose plier, and a hard surface such as a tabletop that you don't mind getting a few tiny dings into it. With LOTS of patience and carefulness for my own safety and the watch, I was able to pull the job off without going to a jeweler. I will detail the steps on how I did it. It requires some precision work and just being extra careful with sharp objects. PLEASE do not resize it the way I did it if you aren't comfortable working with sharp objects, are clumsy, and don't want to spend too much time. You have been forewarned, and the liability of your watch (and yourself) lies in your hands!

Assuming you know which links to remove:
1. Place watch on tabletop with the watchface off the table to avoid pressure damage to it and the link band facing up (or link pin holes facing up). Use the wall pin to hammer out(gently) the link pin until the wall pin can't go into the hole any further. You can use the flat side of the plier to hammer. This gives us a little gap where the link pin was pushed in to work with for the next step.

2. Keeping in mind where the gap was made, you will be using a sewing needle (because it fits in the hole) to push the link pin out enough to where you can pull it out with a plier. This is the hardest part and will require much patience and extra care to yourself! With the watch on top, needle in the middle (blunt end in the gap and sharp end against the tabletop), and tabletop at the bottom + two hands on both sides of the link band, I pushed down slowly and carefully until the link pin comes out. Make sure both hands are closest to that one link you are trying to remove so you don't pressure the other links. If done right, the link pin should slowly jut out enough to where you can pull it out with a plier.

3. The rest should be self explanatory once the link pins are out. Once you removed all the links to your desire, you will push the link pins back into its respective place using either the tabletop to push the link pins in (and make sure the watchface is off the table). You can also hammer the links back in gently as well if you want.

Best of luck, and hope my method works for you all!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 24 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 14, 2012 8:09:57 PM PDT
Thanks for the thorough review. I have an ana-digi watch now, but like your comment, the ana and the digi parts are not in sync, the ana part slightly ahead of the digi part, as you said. After a few months, this adds up to a couple minutes apart. I don't like this which is why I am looking for another watch in which the ana and digi parts are more in sync. I saw in your pics that the ana and digi parts are at least 30 sec apart. How long before there is a discrepancy on the minute level? Also, how much do the watch hands obscure the digi display when its at around the :30 min mark?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 8:21:40 PM PDT
Smaug says:
It must have been a different display feature you saw, because they are always less than a second apart, no matter how many months.

The hours hand never obscures the digital display. The minutes hand does, but never to the extent that I can't just tilt the watch at an angle and read under it. No problem with the seconds hand.

Great watch. If I could only have one, this would be it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 8:35:36 PM PDT
You're right. It looks in sync. But if they are less than a second apart (as you and the reviewer stated), won't that add up over days and months to being several seconds or even minutes apart after many months? A half second apart will be 1 second apart after 2 days and 15 seconds apart after a month, and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2012 3:36:59 AM PDT
Smaug says:
I guess maybe if it doesn't sync for a long time, it might.

But even then, it might not. I don't think this watch has two movements; I think both displays get their signal from the same circuit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:21:18 AM PDT
G. E. Wood says:
Re: Atomic time stations in other countries -- I've had a Waveceptor watch since 2007 and traveled all over the place with it. While it always synced while in the United States (coast-to-coast and north-to-south), I was unable to sync with any atomic time stations in Europe or the Horn of Africa. Glad to hear it works in other places though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:35:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 6:35:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:50:52 PM PST
W. Chen says:
In response to Occasional reviewer's post, my watch analog function is never that far behind to the digital. Like I mentioned in the review, the second hand is a millisecond, if you will, behind the digital (or the second hand display). And no, my watch does not add up like you mentioned. The analog ticks on the second, every second, and always on the second. However, it does not synchronize to the digital time perfectly. In other words, it is not in sync with the digital time and is only off-sync by a millisecond. Both analog and digital always ticks every second, just not together. If your watch is "adding up" as you mentioned, then it might need to be repaired, unfortunately.

*Regarding the picture you mentioned, none of my pictures show 30 second apart differences. The analog hands were right where they needed to be.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:19:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 7:25:57 PM PST
I am wondering what you mean by "repressuring the watch to avoid condensation". I have had numerous quartz watch batteries changed in various quarz watches without any "repressuring" operation and have never experienced watch condensation on/in the crystal. My understanding is that condensation appears if the watch has suffered water intrusion. Perhaps you can clarify the "repressuring" procedure you perform, or have performed, on your watches if it is other than a standard pressure test to ensure water resistance.

I like the watch for its looks and solar recharging capacity; don't necessarily need/want the radio-sync capacity as the normal quartz accuracy is sufficient for my purposes. Presenly have a bid in for one on Ebay. Some can be found at attractive prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:29:50 PM PST
W. Chen says:
This is in response to Norman's post:

Instead of saying "repressuring the watch", I should have said pressure testing the watch (and I will update it in my review). It was a bad choice of words, and I apologize for that.

From what I understand, and I am not an expert on this:
The watch can be pressure tested (using some sort of water pressure test equipment) to make sure it can maintain the water pressure specified by the watch's manufacturer. So for this watch, the water resistance is up to 100m -- so the pressure machine puts that much pressure on the watch. Then the watch is heated up(for testing purposes and to dry out any water on the internals in case water does leak in). If it passes the test, no water crystals should be seen underneath the watch face. If it doesn't pass the test, all the water leakage becomes water crystals under the watch face. In this case the rubber seal will be replaced and lubricated.

Solar charging is a big plus for me from my own experience with watch battery replacements. Whenever you remove the backplate of the watch, there is always wear and tear on the rubber seal. When closing the backplate, there is also a chance that the rubber seal wasn't properly seated, plus more wear and tear. Also put into consideration that not all jeweler's are experienced (or even care), and what could have been a perfectly repaired/waterproof watch is now a damaged/water-prone watch. This has happened to me one too many times, and I was quoted $60+ dollars to pressure test the watch from a local store. Keep in mind I changed my watch battery every 2-3 years, and each time there was water condensation issues.

*Now I'm not denying the fact that the rubber seal on this Casio Waveceptor will never wear out, just not as quick as a watch that has to be opened and reopened every few years. I think that in itself is worth buying the watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2013 12:37:21 PM PDT
Katibogar says:
No it can not.It is small has not enough digits.

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (357 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $199.99