2,865 of 2,955 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Sews like a dream, but there are lots of design problems: updated, August 14, 2009
This review is from: Brother CS6000i Feature-Rich Sewing Machine With 60 Built-In Stitches, 7 styles of 1-Step Auto-Size Buttonholes, Quilting Table, and Hard Cover (Kitchen)
Every time I describe this machine to sewing friends, I start and end with "It sews like a dream." And it does, so far, if it's not stressed with too many layers (and I haven't even tried denim yet). But this machine is not, I suspect, a workhorse. It is audibly annoyed at thick layers, like French seams, although so far, it does, with encouragement, sew them together. I love the reverse-stitch button. I love changing stitch types and sizes with the touch of a button, and I really love that it even tells me what presser-foot I will need (although I am not looking forward to changing the feet). And it sews like a dream.

However, the light is ridiculous -- small, dim, badly placed -- and the first thing I did was clamp a gooseneck lamp to the table so that I could actually see to sew, thread the needle (there is some Rube Goldberg-type set up that is supposed to do that for you, but it is too small to see, requires an extra hand to operate, and works half the time), and see the screen whereon the cool stitch size/type info is displayed. Everything involving the bobbin is terrific, from winding it to dropping it in. Threading the top thread is a snap till the last two steps, which require tiny, nimble fingers and powerful laser-like vision. You will have to roll excess fabric tightly to fit it through the minimalist tunnel between the needle and the body of the machine, so don't plan on making a heavy wool, lined coat. The narrow, plastic foot pedal feels cheap and is poorly designed. If I merely inhale while sewing, it goes from slow to warp speed, and I spend too much time chasing and repositioning it. This is one of the problems when we don't have metal parts anymore -- you can lift this whole machine with one little finger (literally) -- don't count on it to stay where you've put it (and that includes the machine, which I once tipped when shifting fabric). I admit, though, that the thing really does sew like a dream.

This is my first new machine since the Nixon administration, and I still have my fabulous, heavy, mechanical Singer that will sew through layers of chain mail, but I was seduced by the free-arm and the buttonholer (which I'll eventually use, I suppose) and the alleged improvements and ease of use. I believe that, while it does sew like a dream, this machine was designed by someone who has never sat at a sewing machine to actually use it. You know -- to sew something.

PS -- I have now been using this machine daily for a couple of months, and I am delighted to say that it handles denim beautifully. In fact, I have fallen in love with this machine. The light still sucks, and the design flaws are still annoying, but I'm loving this sewing machine. The tension issue that I've read about happened, in my case, only once and when I understood why (it was my fault -- sloppy threading of the bobbin), it has not reappeared. I humbly admit that I was hasty in voicing my concerns. For the money, this machine, despite the light, is a terrific deal. If I could add a star or two, I would, but Amazon doesn't allow it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2010 6:13:45 AM PDT
Susan B. says:
Wonderfully written and delightful to read. Candid , honest and very helpful.
Thank you.

Posted on Oct 18, 2010 8:49:39 AM PDT
So you *would* recommend this machine? I'm wanting to sew things like:
a garment bag with a cordura exterior and a lightweight fleece interior. would need to add things like cording and webbing.
a horse blanket made of the same, but with heavier fleece.
show jacket made of wool suitings or maybe even lightweight upholstery fabric.

Your input is very much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 9:09:42 AM PDT
So far it's been a champ. I think if you use the right needles and threads and presser feet, it'll be fine. I am not as certain that you could make a business of sewing these items again and again on this machine. It's a show horse, not a plow horse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010 9:18:52 AM PDT
Hi Victoria: No, I wouldn't be going into business. I see myself making *one* of these things a month, at most. That's been my machine-angst for a year or so now; I want to make these items myself, but don't want too much machine (something that will rattle the house).

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 12:53:06 PM PST
S. Loose says:
Thank you for the detailed review. I am comparing to the 70 Stitch Singer 7256 and this review has been most helpful!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 3:12:33 PM PST
I'm comparing the two models, too! Please let me know if you have any insights. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 11:00:59 AM PST
Hi Victoria; I just read your review and liked it. Sounds like your an honest to the point lady. I have been sewing most my life and have had different machines. My love right now is a Baby lock. Im looking to buy a machine to teach my Granddaughter how to sew on and cannot aford to buy another one like the one I have, and after reading yours and alot of reviews have decided to try this one. If you are still having problems chasing your foot pedal around, this is what I did...right now my sewing room has thin carpet, but my pedal still slid all over. So, I took some of the rough part of velcro and stuck it on the bottom of it, found the spot I liked and sat it down. No more sliding. When I use to have flooring, I took some of that non skid liner for shelves/knicknacks and used two way tape and put some of that on the bottom of my pedal. Again, no more sliding around. It was so nice not to be distracted any longer by that. Hope this helps you and other fellow sewers. Thanks for your input.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 4:39:20 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 3:07:39 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
Did you end up purchasing this machine and using it for the items you mentioned? I am looking to buy it to make some of the same items for my daughter. Would love to hear your experience with it.
Thank you in advance!

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:19:52 AM PDT
Remy LeBeau says:
I actually sew barefoot....which is yes weird but it doesn't give me a problem of my peddle moving around
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›