The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Pricy piece of junk- Update new Version info, February 15, 2013
I've worked over two weeks on this thing and I'm totally disgusted.
I need 4 cams. I purchased and installed the cousin to this, two Fi8910W that work quite well except they are designed for a lower resolution. This (Fi9821W) camera works 'pretty well' as long as you don't try to use the Internet to access it. Staying BEHIND the (Ethernet Hard Wired) router most of the features work but not all. Wireless will bring up all kinds of problems with freezing and dropouts, so be ready.

Unlike their counter part camera I named, this one has 'two' ports (88 and 888) that need to be 'forwarded' through my router which is actually easy after a little education on port forwarding.

I updated the firmware to the latest which now seems to be removed from the manufacture's website. There is Firmware updates for Fi9820W but not for this one (Fi9820(1)W. The tech support seems like they are working hard to kill the bugs reported (and there is a lot) but it looks like this model should have never been released.

I like the higher resolution Image but I can live with 640x480 the cheaper and 'debugged' model has PLUS they are EASY to set up. My App for a smartphone won't work this camera but does with the other two. I've tried 4 different apps.

This camera doesn't seem to register itself with the included (DNS service which is free) that allows global connection from any Internet browser anywhere in the World. However my (cheaper) Fi8910W cams do just that but not this one.

I recommend folks bypass this specific model (Fi9821W) and go with their much cheaper Fi8910W model.

Foscam should be hanging their heads on pushing this on the market too soon. There will be a Foscam apology (watch the replies to comments here) and an offering to make things right and offer tech support, etc. etc... They are quite nice in this area. This camera will be pulled off line and I'll watch for a firmware update and try it again. They have a Forum that I wish I had found first that is full of complaints over this model.

Oh, there are problems between browsers, Firefox (latest Version) will load the EXTENSION they call a 'plug in' but when I access the camera it says to download the 'plug in' and I already have the EXTENSION add-on.So I have to use Internet Explorer if I want to use this cam but the other two named above work with either browser. No problem with the other two models that work with both browsers.

For info, for new folks: There is a web server inside each camera and you access that server's webpage to operate the camera. The camera can operate wireless (Wi-Fi) or with an Ethernet cable plugged into your router. Needless to say the smoother images are the hard wire setup.

Skip this one and go with another version (from the same company). This one is NOT ready.

Update Aug 2013: Be aware there is a newer version called "FI9821W Version 2" (I don't have one). It has a wireless setup button under the antenna otherwise it's a Version 1 which does not display any version. Mine are all the old 'no version' aka Version 1.
The firmware updates are different so use caution updating and you may want to go with the newer Version 2 if purchasing a new camera. I will wait for the Foscam FI9826 camera that has an optical 3x zoom lens to become available.
Remember you CAN FOCUS the camera lens by simply rotating it while watching a monitor. I have one camera that keeps changing focus (slightly) on its own while the other 3 I have don't. Strange is the world of Foscam.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 21, 2014 2:09:51 PM PDT
Hello,

We greatly appreciate your feedback. Many of the problems you have stated were due to a lack of processing power. The FI9821W v2 has addressed these issues. The main difference is the internal hardware has been upgraded to make it more stable. Also, only one port needs to be forwarded with the v2. As long as the camera is within the 1 year warranty period, we can replace the camera with a newer v2.

If you have any other questions or concerns we can be reached directly at support@foscam.us or amazon@foscam.us. We look forward to hearing back from you.

[Add comment]