3.0 out of 5 stars Read this comment before you make your decision, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (16GB, White) 2013 Model (Personal Computers)
I am a Samsung lover; purchased Omnia, Galaxy S, S2, Tab 7, Note 2, Galaxy note 10.1 and Galaxy 8.0. I purchased this device on August 15 and used for 3 weeks now. There is one thing that I want to inform you before you purchase this device.

If you want to purchase this device, DO NOT update your firmware until Samsung releases firmware update 4.2.2, meaning use As-Is for now.

Firmware issue!
After the purchase, there were at least 3 firmware updates from Samsung and the latest firmware came with touchscreen freeze function which made this tablet pause for 3 ~ 5 seconds. Yes, touch response literally freezes. So I contacted Samsung tech support and they recommended hard reset of the device. I went to XDA Developer website and found there were so many others who experienced the same as I did and do. Worst part is that Samsung is not aware of this issue.

Samsung has been releasing Android 4.2.2 (current version is 4.1.2) which has the fix for this issue, but there is no release date available for Wi-Fi version.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update on 10/7/2013

Samsung finally released 4.2.2 and touch screen issue resolved with the update.
BUT!!!!! now I notice that internet application closes out when it tries to load flash player on some websites. Samsung should have tested thoroughly. Note 10.1 was great, but it seems like 8.0 will have few more bugs to fix!

Update on 11/20/2013

I did not notice until recently that you are now able to store some programs on SD card. This was one feature that was blocked until the update on 10/7/2013. What does this do? It frees up your internal storage by moving some of your large size apps to SD card. Do note that note 8.0 only has 16GB space, so this will enable you from running out of your internal memory. Few of the previous galaxy phones had this feature, and now on the note 8.0. I was able to move appox. 3GB data to my 32GB SD card. Note 8.0 vs NEXUS 7? Now you may want to re-think because NEXUS 7 does not support micro SD. However, flash player issue is not still resolved...just to remind you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2013 10:58:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2013 8:55:42 AM PDT
Gail A. says:
My Note 8.0 is still running on 4.1, out of the box, and it has the well documented screen freeze. With Samsung's "help", I did a factory reset, even though I knew from online reading that would not help. It didn't. One Samsung tech tried to blame it on Google's os, even though I have the 10 inch Note which does not freeze. Finally a tech looked online, using the search words I kept repeating, "screen freeze", and finally acknowledged there seems to be a problem. He assumed 4.2.2 will fix it. Meanwhile the clock ticks on my Costco 90 day warranty; no update is available for my wifi device. I'm regretfully going to return it. I might wait a couple months and buy it again. I was thinking of trying the iPad mini when the retina display is released, but the new 7.0 ios is wildly unpopular with users. What to do?
UPDATE Oct. 7: Upgrade to 4.2.2 did solve my screen freeze issues. So far I love the upgrade, and haven't noticed any problems with flash player on any websites, but that is a feature I rarely use, so it's too early to say. I feel quite satisfied at the moment, and glad I didn't return my Note 8.0.

Posted on Sep 21, 2013 10:59:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 21, 2013 11:14:13 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2013 11:28:58 AM PDT
Tim Grayson says:
In the same boat, have one from Costco but I am bummed to find out that 4.1 is the latest I can run without "hacking" the device. Now the price tag is looking even worse compared to the Nexus. Debating on what to do, probably will return the sucker.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2013 7:03:14 AM PDT
ld says:
Think twice about Nexus 7 2013. Unresolved problems with touch screen, maybe hardware or software. Phantom touches, double touches, unpredictable zoom.

Posted on Oct 7, 2013 6:43:18 PM PDT
Kat says:
My Note 8 updated to 4.2.2 on Saturday. I have had no problems with this tablet (even when 4.1.2 was running). I haven't had any freezes or drag. It is very fast and smooth.

*SIDE NOTE*
I have read that cases with magnets are causing trouble with the Note 8 (or any S pen device). It may be advisable to stay clear of cases with magnets.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 4:50:01 PM PST
BLOOD says:
I ended up doing the same thing. Gave it back to costco, got a ipad mini retina, it costs 2x more, but it works 2x times better.

Its unimaginable how retarded or arrogant samsung can be when it comes to software updates. They make amazing hardware; however, they fail at everything else...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 4:51:17 PM PST
BLOOD says:
Yes, i had my replaced 2 times. Gets the black line across the camera, zoom focuses then instantly focuses and this can go on the whole time you are filming a video.

My also has the problem with the touch, Google blamed the screen protector, took that off, same...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 6:29:37 PM PST
Sean H. says:
Magnet interference on S-Pen is not a bug or a problem. S-Pen does not work properly when there is a magnet. Magnet on the case may cause this problem. Please be aware. On a side note, magnet on the case also may affect the performance of the touch screen and responses.

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 6:42:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 20, 2013 6:43:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 8:25:35 PM PST
Gail A. says:
Well, once I finally got the software update, two months after the initial roll out, the screen freeze problem is solved. I agree though, Samsung is very peculiar in the mysterious way they orchestrate software updates. However, I love my Galaxy Note 8.0 now. I wouldn't rule out Apple iPad mini, but I just hate the way Apple refuses to incorporate ports for expandable memory! And then grossly over charges for built in memory. Plus, lots of iPad users seem to hate iOS 7.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (788 customer reviews)

$499.99 $329.99