100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Learn more

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info. Book is way too long, October 27, 2010
This review is from: Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences (Paperback)
2012-1129: Just 2 years & one month ago I wrote the reviews shown below the double-dash line. After repeatedly reflecting on the book, I think i finally "get it." On a literal level, sound-harmonics can "encourage" sympathetic vibrations of items around it. (Ever been alongside a car with a boombox blaring and your own car started vibrating?) To have that effect on our audience on a heart-motivating, mentally stimulating level is to learn what causes them to "vibrate" with motivated action and then to accentuate that vibration through our words--both WHAT we say and HOW we say it. (People seem to instinctively know how to get their closest associates' "goat" by teasing them. Its the same concept but in a positive way.)

I bought Slide-ology and wrote a review of it for peers at work. (I love sharing.) I stumbled across Nancy's new book, "Resonate" quite by accident and immediately ordered it here on Amazon. I have read a little over half(on pg. 126 of 232 currently--back matter constitutes another 15 pages or so).

Although I have truly found some material mentally invigorating, I do have two big criticisms:

1) Nancy (the author) uses the terms "resonate" and "frequency" in such vague ways that the reader never really quite figures out what she means. I really wonder if she herself knows what she means. I counted at least 4 contextual meanings, none of which are consistent. Its not that I need just one all-encompassing definition, its just I couldn't get a handle on just how to understand those terms.

2) The book is unnecessarily too long. I reviewed the TOC multiple times. Although it appears structurally logical, when I read the actual content, it seems to bounce around a great deal. I am not the sort of person to casually read a book of this sort. I have a pen with me and make copious marginal notes as well as added sticky-notes. Finally, I transcribe all my notes into a word document to create a summary that I can use as a reference. I found myself flipping back and forth, making cross-reference notes because a concept that was touched on (for example, "The Big Idea on pg. 78) is then expanded on page 120, "From Ideas to Messages." Now,

I appreciate the bk seems to intend to start with a "wide-angle" lens and then further in book, "zoom in" to details, but it would have been much more succinct (in my opinion) if all that were presented together at the outset. I would have organized the material in this book much differently. From my perspective, she fails her own advise on page 126 regarding establishing structure by repeatedly returning to the same matters over and over. My recommendation: Read the first 78 pages of the book, and you have the crux of the whole 232 pages.

So am I am saying "don't read this"? Not at all. Just know that if you truly want to reap the benefits of Nancy's insight, it will take more than just a casual read. You will need to take notes to glean and make any sense of this book. For example, even though she clearly defines "The Big Idea" on page 78 in the very first sentence, and she further explains WHAT it is in concise example on pg. 79, the chapter misses the mark explaining, how, when, where. The examples given are too terse to make sense of it. I'm sure some will take me to task on this write-up. Just remember, it is only my opinion.

Update 2010-1103: I have finished the book, gone back & completed an organized outline (from the disorganized mess this book was in) and even created a graphic that succinctly illustrates the overall "journey." Although I still hold to my stand that the 1st 78 pages IS the book, there are a couple other helpful items beyond that:

Developmental Organization of content: pages 142 to 143
Examples of use of tugging on heart-strings to teach a lesson: pages 156-161

I did make several marginal notes throughout the book, but after going through it, if I found what i needed was a checkoff list. So i created my own containing all the questions I need to answer in the development phase. Unfortunately, it would mean nothing to those who haven't read the book, so read it and develop your own checklist.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2011 12:38:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2011 12:42:29 PM PDT
Love4books says:
It's rare for someone to have developed your level of organizational skills and grasp the content a body of knowlege well enought to re-organize better than its creator. You'd make a fabulous content editor if you want a second career. Resonate is a difficult word to define. I haven't read her book yet, but was surprised by scanning it to find one definition that she gave as totally accurate, in my opinion. That is it is a syncing of vibration between one and another person(s). Syncing can begin at a rapport level and advance to a "certainty" state between the message given and what it received by the target. Its difficult to articulate because its a "spiritual" experience more than an intellectual one. Again, I haven't read her book yet, but I found her accurate in that description of the experience called resonating.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 6:22:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2011 6:22:39 PM PDT
Thanks, as it turns out, I am currently looking for work. I just got laid off from AT&T (they off-shored over 200 jobs). I'm not sure if you were just complimenting me or you can make a referral. feel free to write me at whitehare@ureach.com

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 7:35:39 AM PDT
John Loppnow says:
Hi, Would you be willing to share your check off list? I'm interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 3:31:52 PM PDT
Hello. You are welcome to write me for that. In subject line please include "Resonate review" so I readily recognize who you are. whitehare@ureach.com

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 10:31:53 PM PDT
Bill says:
So Bart, what's your outline look like?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 3:22:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2011 3:26:40 PM PDT
Hi Bill, you're welcome to email me to request it. You are now the 5th (??) person to request it. Just FYI for you & others that may request it in the future...
1. Just email but put "Resonate outline request" in the subject line, otherwise, if I don't recognize the email address, I always delete it.
2. Please be advised that my final draft of the outline was slanted for my major focus--assisting others in my Bible education / tutoring work. Although there is plenty generic info that you can use whatever the venue, just know that ALL of it written for my personal use only. But I am glad to share if you want it.
write to whitehare@ureach.com

Oh, and just one small little courtesy I would request of anyone asking for it: I'd appreciate hearing what you felt about my notes after you've had a chance to review them. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›